• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can Teens & Kids Eat Chef Mickey's Breakfast w/o Parents?

fiversmama

Earning My Ears
Before anyone calls Child Protective Services, let me explain.

We are staying in the Contemporary with five kids: 8-15yo, between two families. We will be on the Regular DDP.

We adults have been and done Chef Mickey's more times than we can count, and are planning to do one dinner out adults-only as one of our TS credits, while the 15yo "babysits."

We were just wondering if the kids can go to Chef Mickey's one morning and use their equivalent TS credit, while we have coffee and grab something small at Contempo Cafe downstairs. They would not be directly supervised in the restaurant, but we would be in the building. Hoping this works- they are capable, polite and are very familiar with dining out/buffets on vacation (ex. at all-inclusive resorts).

Does Disney require parents to eat with children/teens 8, 9, 9, 12, 15?

TIA!

I honestly don't know from experience. But I tried to do a quick google and found this: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/minimum-age/

Which mentions the rule that under 14 must be with an over 14 to go into parks. I know your resort is not a park, but if this rule still applies, then you're safe because of the 15 year old.

It feels funny to me to say "yes, it's allowed" though. I really don't know.

Before anyone calls Child Protective Services, let me explain.

We are staying in the Contemporary with five kids: 8-15yo, between two families. We will be on the Regular DDP.

We adults have been and done Chef Mickey's more times than we can count, and are planning to do one dinner out adults-only as one of our TS credits, while the 15yo "babysits."

We were just wondering if the kids can go to Chef Mickey's one morning and use their equivalent TS credit, while we have coffee and grab something small at Contempo Cafe downstairs. They would not be directly supervised in the restaurant, but we would be in the building. Hoping this works- they are capable, polite and are very familiar with dining out/buffets on vacation (ex. at all-inclusive resorts).

Does Disney require parents to eat with children/teens 8, 9, 9, 12, 15?

TIA!
I don't see how this would be a problem. Sounds like a great chance for some independence. Just be sure that the oldest tells their server which dining guests are billed to which reservation/Dining Plan and that one person from each family/reservation knows their PIN code for when they scan their magicband for payment/redemption of credits. If the kids are from 2 families I'm guessing the server will separate their meals into 2 checks and each check will need for someone to scan. Oh - and you can help figure out what gratuity to leave beforehand and have them add the amount to their charge or simply give them the cash to leave so there's less to do.

Thanks! I actually called WDW-DINE and they said that someone 18+ is required to be with them.

I might let them all do a dinner CS together at Contempo Cafe to enjoy and save the TS for the adults to enjoy late on that evening when you let the 15 year old babysit in the room...since you're at the Contemporary, I'd use them at California Grill for a date night...

We were just wondering if the kids can go to Chef Mickey's one morning and use their equivalent TS credit, while we have coffee and grab something small at Contempo Cafe downstairs.

99% sure Contempo and CM are on the same floor right next to each other. Might make it even easier to do.

Do the 12 and 15 year old WANT to do this? Will the 8 and 9 year olds listen to either of the older kids? Do the older kids agree that the younger ones listen to them? Will anyone need help getting their food from the buffet in a polite, neat manner (thereby doing better than half of the adults there LOL)? Who will take the pictures with the characters?

Does not sound like a responsibility I would want to have at 15 years old. Or a meal I'd enjoy eating at, because I'd be too stressed paying for everyone and managing everyone.

Do they know how to tip?

My son was 13 when he and two of his friends went to Crystal Palace by themselves so I would imagine it would be the same at Chef Mickey's. No problems at all, they had a great time!

I'd hate to be the 15yr old responsible for an 8 yr old, two 9 yr olds and a 12 yr old at a large buffet in a restaurant teeming with people. Maybe Contempo Café or a McDonald's someplace, but not at Chef Mickey's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter