Can overcrowding be reduced at Disneyland?

Which method(s) of reducing overcrowding would you be for? (Can vote for a combination of methods))

• Raising prices on daily tickets and annual passes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Adding more blackout days to non-premium annual passes

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Implementing new zip code based blackout system

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Reducing max capacity of the parks

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Eliminating monthly payment option for annual passes

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

newportnick

Earning My Ears
The Happiest Place on Earth?​

“You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.”​

-Walt Disney​

Unfortunately, in this case, people might actually just be the problem here Mr. Disney. Finding a way to curtail the ever increasing amount of people who attend Disneyland is going to play a key role in maintaining the high quality, fun-for-all type atmosphere that Walt envisioned back in 1955. These days, the experience is somewhat less than ideal. Pretty much all of Disneyland’s problems can be attributed to overcrowding. Although Disneyland does not disclose annual attendance numbers, Aecom, a private Los Angeles engineering firm, has shown that attendance has been increasing every year since 2004. It’s estimated that a typical day at Disneyland will have around 44,000 guests in attendance, with its max capacity at around 80,000.

However according to Mouse Wait, which is an app that estimates wait times for rides and daily attendance for the parks, this “typical” number is often far exceeded. When the park is at or near capacity, doing anything, including moving from one place in the park to another can be an adventure in itself. When you do finally get to your destination, be prepared to do a whole lot of nothing. Frequently the wait time for popular attractions will rise to over 60 mins during peak hours. The same wait can be expected from restaurants, and if you want to get a reservation to try and reduce your wait time, you often will have to make it days, if not weeks in advance.

Seems more often than not, I find myself hopelessly stuck in line, totally withdrawn from my Disney excursion. One of the worst offenders is the extremely popular roller coaster, Space Mountain. “Ya! Lets go on Space Mountain!” proclaims every little boy and girl as they near the ride. I usually hear this statement broadcasted somewhere in vicinity of Tomorrowland as people near the ride, only to be met with crushing disappointment and an audible groan as the final corner is turned and the ride marquee with the expected wait time comes into view. “Is it really 75 Minutes?!”

Some guests have the idea of going to Disneyland during off-peak hours or during weekdays, but being a pass holder for years myself, I can attest that there really is no such thing as an off-peak hour or day anymore- it’s just really crowded all the time.

Disneyland has made some attempts to improve the situation over the years such as introducing Fastpass back in 1999. This system issues a guest a ticket with a specific time to come back to the ride and enter a separate, shorter queue with other Fast Pass holders. One problem with Fastpasses is that they can run out early in the day so guests have to sometimes get there in the morning in order to get one. Sometimes, this can end up being 5+ hours before your desired ride time. Also, the effectiveness of the Fastpass can vary depending on how the specific ride’s queue is set up; some fast pass lines don’t end up being noticeably faster than the regular queue.

Another strategy Disney has adapted to battle crowds, (in addition to helping their bottom line of course) is to raise ticket prices. This includes their annuals passes. Disneyland has several levels of annual passes, with varying amounts of blackout dates, all of which have been increasing in price steadily over the years. The premium pass, with no blackout dates has seen the biggest jump, with a recent increase to $649 dollars two years ago. The price of a single day park-hopper ticket (which grants access to both Disneyland and nearby California Adventure) has risen to an astonishing $155 dollars for a single day admission. This means it would cost a family of four $620 dollars just to gain entry into the parks for one day. Add in the cost of souvenirs, food, and possibly hotel accommodations if you’re from out of town, and the cost of a Disney vacation can be quite expensive. Yet, despite this, the rising cost has had little effect it seems on lessening the crowds.

In addition, raising prices can be a risky endeavor, as guests will expect improvements or new attractions to the park to justify the price. Park improvements can also be a double-edged sword, because while they do improve the quality of things to do in the park, they inevitably cause increased crowding as more people are drawn to the new attractions. This is especially true since park improvements are usually made by replacing an existing ride or attraction instead of adding a new one. This is turn keeps the effective amount of rides the same, while simultaneously increasing demand. Sadly, simply expanding the size of the current parks or adding a whole new nearby park doesn’t seem likely as the area around the Disneyland is already extremely crowded with businesses and traffic.

Another option would be to reduce the max capacity of the park. What’s the point of getting into the park if you can’t do anything? This will require Disney to be ok with potentially reducing revenue by lowering the amount of ticket sales for the day. I think this could be offset in the long run by happier people purchasing more items inside the parks and a rise in Annual pass sales from locals.

An overhaul of the annual pass system at the same time could also help. For example, increasing the blackout dates of all the non-premium passes or to try something new, move to a location based blackout system. Under this system, blackouts would be based on not only on days but also on zip codes. Pass holders would only be able to use their passes on days where their zip code was chosen and that was not blacked out, with the higher level passes having less blackout dates and more guaranteed zip code selection days per month. This would only apply to non-premium annual pass holders thereby not effecting vacationers buying individual tickets.

Disneyland faces some serious challenges, most of which Walt Disney most likely could not have anticipated in his park’s humble early days. I personally believe it’s going to take a multi-faceted approach to reduce overcrowding at Disney; I don’t think any one solution can solve a problem of this magnitude. Fine tuning the right amount of all of the above mentioned solutions may come down to trial and error. One combination could include: slightly raising ticket prices, while at the same time implementing more restrictions on annual passes and finally, reducing the overall maximum capacity of the parks. Although this task is a formidable one, I believe it essential to returning Disneyland to the happiest place on earth.

One thing I find extremely frustrating is the people who travel far distances to go and can only get a 5 day ticket. Then they get ripped off buying more tickets or force to get an annual pass. So to raise it higher for a one trip would be wrong. They have no deals like Disney World does for UK or Canadian travelers. With Our dollar conversion being so high now it gets expensive fast. So if they raise prices they need to consider people who travel a long distance to get there.

Disney knows it has a good thing going on with the theme parks. Disney is also a business in simple terms of supply and demand. I cannot fault them for the prices they're able to get. It's an above-average experience for most folks, therefore it draws demand. In a modern society which outsources customer service to unreasonable means, Disney continues to pride itself on being a cut above.

To maintain crowd levels and eliminate slow-times, Disney has become quite creative with the RunDisney and local discounts on Annual Passes. Generates steady revenue and a crowd mix which keeps everyone engaged.

Opportunities exist to upgrade the experience at Disneyland with Extra Hours and Upscale accommodations. FastPass also exists, but FastPass plus is likely around the corner.

Disneyland wants it crowded. They view it as more people=more money. Until people stop coming back and spending their money, due to over crowding, the crowds will continue. But I must say I'm kind of tired of it. I don't like what I'm hearing about the changes that might be coming. We have decided to let our families passes expire next week and wait to see how things go in the coming months.

They need to take a hard look at their annual pass structure.

The overall key is reducing the numbers in the parks but I think that no single strategy will work. They need to reduce the number of APs by eliminating the lower tier and monthly payment plans plus lower maximum capacity. It will be finding that delicate balance which allows a rate of attendance that reduces crowding yet doesn't result in frequent gate closures. But in order to do that and keep profits where they are (because shareholders won't accept anything else, unfortunately) they'll have to raise ticket prices.

The best way to do it is by increasing capacity at the parks and distributing the crowds more evenly.

Why should Disney do anything about overcrowding, either in Anaheim or Orlando? If the multitudes continue to pour in and spend money, despite what may be perceived as a lessened guest experience, there is no incentive to change things. They'll only consider change if attendance and/or spending drops significantly.

The best way to reduce crowds at DL is for Universal to open up Harry Potter land. And that's what's about to happen. Once they open that, you'll see people spending 2-3 days at DL instead of 4-5. They'll instead head over to Universal to check out Harry for a couple of days. That's why DL is in such a rush to get Star Wars Land up and running. They'll need to get us all back. And having 3 or 4 more attractions open will help spread the crowd out hopefully.

I don't think Disney wants to reduce the crowds honestly. They don't want a slow season. Higher crowds means higher revenue.

I remember going when I was kid and in high school and lines were mostly an hour long for anything on a weekend or during the summer. You could still find dead days though, and I guess that's what is disappearing. You used to be able to go during the week during the school year and walk on everything. I think they've done an excellent job of filling in their slow times with events to even out the crowds, good and bad.

When Indiana Jones opened, we waited 3 hours. Fast Pass didn't exist and you just waited. I think the problem now is people's short attention spans and now-now-now attitudes.

They like the parks full and I don't see that changing.

I think the key thing I am seeing is they are slowly trying to expand and with more space and attractions, Many attractions have taken up space and are now outdated. DL is trying to re-imagine space that has low traffic to try and spread the load across the whole park. I think when the Star Wars land opens it will help spread the crowds across other areas of both parks.

Harry Potter at Universal will help a bit, as PP said...
AND, not mentioned in the original post, Star Wars Land will add another 14 acres of space to DL...it will obviously bring even more crowds, but they will be dispersed even more, too.

And, I do think they need to revise their AP system....simply getting rid of the monthly payment option would be a tremendous help!

Previous posters are right; overcrowding is not a negative for Disney, it is a positive. More people in the parks equals more money; quality of the experience is irrelevant, unless and until it deteriorates to the point that it begins to affect attendance. Until that occurs, we will see no movement by Disney to substantially improve the situation.

That said, others are absolutely right, there is no one solution to this problem. If I ran the world and was seeking to improve guest experience and didn't have to answer to shareholders, here is what I would do:

1. Eliminate monthly payment options for APs; this option is not the only reason why the parks are overcrowded, but it's hard to deny that the problem began to get a lot worse once payment plans (interest free, no less!) began to be offered.

2. Raise ticket/AP prices by at least 25%. Ticket prices are the primary source of crowd control. The only way to decrease demand is to raise the price until substitute goods become just as if not more attractive. Ticket prices, as high as they currently are, are too low to achieve this. And no complaining about how Walt wanted everyone to be able to have a chance to go the park; if that were really true Disney would sell tickets for cost. The reality is Disney is a luxury item, not a birthright. Ticket prices need to be much higher if the goal is to alleviate overcrowding.

3. Add capacity. They are doing this now with SW Land, but this is kind of self limiting due to the concept of latent demand. By building new attractions, Disney creates more capacity, but also encourages people to go the parks who otherwise wouldn't have gone, so there is still a net reduction in crowding but not as big as you would think. Related to this is adding non-park attractions, like water parks and things like that to help reduce park crowding.

About the only thing I wouldn't do is limit park capacity artificially. It then becomes a game of who can get in line at the esplanade the earliest. Reducing crowding through increasing prices is the more equitable way. If you want the less crowded experience, pay for it. If not, don't pay for it and go somewhere else.

The overall key is reducing the numbers in the parks but I think that no single strategy will work. They need to reduce the number of APs by eliminating the lower tier and monthly payment plans plus lower maximum capacity. It will be finding that delicate balance which allows a rate of attendance that reduces crowding yet doesn't result in frequent gate closures. But in order to do that and keep profits where they are (because shareholders won't accept anything else, unfortunately) they'll have to raise ticket prices.

How does eliminating SoCal Select address overcrowding? From a business prospective, this AP is a great strategy. The park will be open, so get more people through the gate to eat, drink and buy on non-peak, non-holiday, weekdays only.

2. Raise ticket/AP prices by at least 25%. Ticket prices are the primary source of crowd control. The only way to decrease demand is to raise the price until substitute goods become just as if not more attractive. Ticket prices, as high as they currently are, are too low to achieve this. And no complaining about how Walt wanted everyone to be able to have a chance to go the park; if that were really true Disney would sell tickets for cost. The reality is Disney is a luxury item, not a birthright. Ticket prices need to be much higher if the goal is to alleviate overcrowding.

I know what you're saying and agree with your points. But this isn't a simple solution from a business perspective. While it would address overcrowding, profits still need to be maintained (and increased.) The company may be able to achieve a gate revenue equalibrium (higher tickets, fewer guests, same net gate revenue), but fewer bodies will mean less total revenue none-the-less. The gate isn't the only place the big bucks are. That's also in food, drinks, merch. Fewer guests = fewer purchases. Unless prices are also raised to reach a food/drink/merch equalibrium, ticket increases as a means to solve overcrowding is not a viable business solution.

Last edited:
I know what you're saying and agree with your points. But this isn't a simple solution from a business perspective. While it would address overcrowding, profits still need to be maintained (and increased.) The company may be able to achieve a gate revenue equilibrium (higher tickets, fewer guests, same net gate revenue), but fewer bodies will mean less revenue none-the-less. The gate isn't the only place the big bucks are. That's also in food, drinks, merch. Fewer guests = fewer purchases. Unless prices are also raised to reach a food/drink/merch equalibrium, ticket increases as a means to solve overcrowding is not a viable business solution.

That's why I included the disclaimer that my goal was simply to improve the guest experience and that I wasn't answering to shareholders. When you have to answer to shareholders, then yes it changes the situation drastically as you accurately pointed out.

I believe it should be a mix of the above.

Raise the AP prices a significant amount, total max AP yearly purchase, give better ticket deals to those staying onsite, reduce daily max capacity, introduce a lottery system for specific areas of the park for AP/onsite hotel park goers. Introduce age limits for strollers/ create stroller check to give needed space.

But - also have free family days, similar to free museum days once to twice a year.

People will be unhappy, and many people will be unable to afford to go beyond the free days, but other than adding to the park surface area significantly or making similar above changes, crowds will always be a problem.

But - also have free family days, similar to free museum days once to twice a year.

That will NEVER happen, and not because of greed. It would be a public safety and logistical nightmare. The park still has a max capacity for safety purposes of about 80,000 guests. If you had a free day, I would estimate you would have at least 400,000 trying to get in, if not more. People would be lined up at the esplanade the day before or earlier to ensure they would get in, traffic would be backed up for miles, tempers would be running high, fights, chaos, trampling.......I can categorically say, without a shred of doubt, that there will never be a free day at Disneyland. The reason it works at museums is that demand is so low for those to begin with that making it free doesn't increase demand past a manageable point. Disney already has crowding issues with the prices high as they are; making it free would be irresponsible from many standpoints.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter