Can no longer preview thread by holding cursor over title.

patty57

DIS Veteran
Up until a couple of days ago, I could put my cursor over a thread title and get a preview of what the thread was about. This isn't working any longer. I believe the DIS did some updates prior to this? Anyone have any suggestions in non-technical speak?
Thanks.

I'm having the same issue. It makes the board much less user friendly.

ETA: I just started having this problem yesterday. The boards were working normally for me until then.

Last edited:
Thread preview is working for me again as of a day or so ago. I don't know what changed (DISboards? a Windows 10 update? something specific to my laptop?) but I'm very glad that this feature is working again.

OP: Is the thread preview feature working for you?

Thread preview is working for me again as of a day or so ago. I don't know what changed (DISboards? a Windows 10 update? something specific to my laptop?) but I'm very glad that this feature is working again.

OP: Is the thread preview feature working for you?

No, it still doesn't work for me. It hasn't worked since my original post about it. I wish it did. Glad it works for you.

I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you. That prompted me to do some testing with different browsers. It works for me when using Firefox but I just tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge and it still does not work for me with either of those browsers.

Thread preview works on my DH's laptop (also running Windows 10) but he uses different antivirus software so he thought it might have something to do with that. I have Malwarebytes running on my laptop so I'm curious if you do as well.

I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you. That prompted me to do some testing with different browsers. It works for me when using Firefox but I just tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge it still does not work for me with either of those browsers.
Works for me on Chrome (Windows 7). Always has.

Works for me on Chrome (Windows 7). Always has.
Thanks for the info. It was working for me too until one day back in March when it just stopped working. Very annoying! The only major change I made to my system prior to that was an upgrade from the free version to the paid version of Malwarebytes but that happened in early February, over a month before this feature stopped working. But then again, maybe I changed some settings in that product or some other software that I use in mid March that I've forgotten about.

Thanks for the info. It was working for me too until one day back in March when it just stopped working. Very annoying! The only major change I made to my system prior to that was an upgrade from the free version to the paid version of Malwarebytes but that happened in early February, over a month before this feature stopped working. But then again, maybe I changed some settings in that product or some other software that I use in mid March that I've forgotten about.
I can't really help you (not really very tech-y), but I was just reporting that I've got no issues with Chrome/Windows 7. Is Malwarebytes an anti-virus program? I've got Norton on my computer. And I use AdBlockerPlus on DISboards.

Googling about this issue turned up a thread in another forum out on the Internet where someone is reporting this same problem with thread preview no longer working as of early March 2017. One of the responses stated that this is a problem with the software used to run that particular forum, which happens to be Xenforo, the same software the DISboards use. The forum software is treating any device that identifies itself as having a touchscreen as if it is a tablet or phone, devices that don't support the "hover" event which is the event that triggers the thread preview. They didn't discuss why it stopped working so perhaps Xenforo released an update around that time that created this problem.

My laptop has a touchscreen so maybe that's why I've had this problem since that same time (early March 2017). And perhaps Xenforo released a fix for this issue recently, making it work for me again on Firefox at least. From what I read, I got the impression that the browser plays a role in identifying whether or not the device has a touchscreen so perhaps that is why the particular browser can also be a factor in whether or not someone has this problem. Apparently there used to be some settings you could change in Chrome that fixed this problem but those settings were experimental and have been removed.

I use webroot antivirus and chrome. I had this happen once before and someone here posted a fix. I tried that and it worked for awhile.

I can't really help you (not really very tech-y), but I was just reporting that I've got no issues with Chrome/Windows 7. Is Malwarebytes an anti-virus program? I've got Norton on my computer. And I use AdBlockerPlus on DISboards.
Yes, Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program. My DH was thinking maybe it's preventing the forum software from running the Javascript code that thread preview needs to run.

Yes Windows 10 on my laptop which I never use. Meaning I dont use the touchscreen.

My Firefox browser updated itself a couple of days ago (to version 55.0.1) so maybe they changed something in this release that fixed this problem. For example, maybe when they detect a touchscreen, they look a little closer at the device information and use different settings for laptops with touchscreens vs tablets and phones. That could explain why some other websites I use where I lost some features (that have nothing to do with web forums) around the same time are now working properly again.

It's broken again today... :sad1:

I got a Firefox update last night (from Version 55.0.1 to 55.0.2) just before I shut my system down for the night so I suspect they "fixed" whatever they did in Version 55.0.1 that had allowed thread preview to work again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!