Can I Whine for a Minute?

Can I ask if the folks on this thread who had covid were vaccinated? No judgment at all, just wondering if the vaccine would make you have a milder case.

I just keep hearing people who have had covid recently describe it as a mild cold lasting 3-4 days, a minor inconvenience. What you all have seems a bit more than a mild cold.

Again, no judgement, just curious. We traveled recently but wore masks even though the airlines dropped the mandate. I was wondering if dropping the mandate would cause a rise in cases. It seems a few on this thread caught it traveling or from others who traveled.

Yes, vaccinated and boosted. But way worse illness then I imagined I would get. I thought I'd have the sniffles for 5 days or something. Maybe it's my age, who knows. I have no underlying conditions, not overweight, etc.

Thank you for being so honest …all of you.
I was starting to feel like the only person still wearing my mask . But it has made me realize even more …everybody everywhere seems to be coughing and sneezing , etc and No masks !
We might want to believe everything’s OK

I hope you all recover soon .

And plan to keep your message with me.
Even if things are OK, they’re really never completely OK, if you know what I mean. If there’s one undeniable thing we learned over the past 36 months it’s that staying apart and masking curbs the spread of transmissible illness. Flu is running rampant in our city right now; 4 months later than it’s usual season and coincident with restrictions being lifted. :( We attended an event on Saturday where one person was apparently ill. As of today, 5 people report being sick, including one of my household members. All definitely negative for Covid but still sicker than dogs.

Yes, vaccinated and boosted. But way worse illness then I imagined I would get. I thought I'd have the sniffles for 5 days or something. Maybe it's my age, who knows. I have no underlying conditions, not overweight, etc.
Ugh same here. Vaccinated, boostered, been as careful as possible since the pandemic started, then last Saturday my 8 year old complained of a sore throat. I assumed strep and called the on call pediatrician who blew me off and said if she didn't have a fever it would clear up in a few days and don't worry. We took an at home Covid test just to be safe and it was negative. Kept her home on Monday from school.

Tuesday I woke up feeling awful with a sore throat. Slept most of the day. Had a 102 temp. 8 year old went to school cause again negative test. Around 1 the school nurse called and said my 6 year old complained of a headache but she didn't have a fever so gave her Motrin and sent her back to class. That night she also spiked a 102 fever. At this point I called the pediatrician again and scheduled strep tests for Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning comes and I'm like let's just all take Covid tests before we leave.

Two minutes in all glaringly positive. Went to the pediatricians to confirm and do "real" tests and yep. Covid.

I'm super super sick and I'm so mad about it. It absolutely came home from school with my oldest--we had gotten a notification on Monday that someone in her class tested positive and they just started everyone eating in the cafeteria again last week. The only good thing is the kids have bounced back pretty quickly. Today is day 6 for my 8 year old so she's back in school whereas my 6 year old can't go back until Monday. My husband and I are just laid out by it though. A neighbor made us dinner last night since her family had it last month. I started paxlovid yesterday so really hoping it helps!

Ugh same here. Vaccinated, boostered, been as careful as possible since the pandemic started, then last Saturday my 8 year old complained of a sore throat. I assumed strep and called the on call pediatrician who blew me off and said if she didn't have a fever it would clear up in a few days and don't worry. We took an at home Covid test just to be safe and it was negative. Kept her home on Monday from school.

Tuesday I woke up feeling awful with a sore throat. Slept most of the day. Had a 102 temp. 8 year old went to school cause again negative test. Around 1 the school nurse called and said my 6 year old complained of a headache but she didn't have a fever so gave her Motrin and sent her back to class. That night she also spiked a 102 fever. At this point I called the pediatrician again and scheduled strep tests for Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning comes and I'm like let's just all take Covid tests before we leave.

Two minutes in all glaringly positive. Went to the pediatricians to confirm and do "real" tests and yep. Covid.

I'm super super sick and I'm so mad about it. It absolutely came home from school with my oldest--we had gotten a notification on Monday that someone in her class tested positive and they just started everyone eating in the cafeteria again last week. The only good thing is the kids have bounced back pretty quickly. Today is day 6 for my 8 year old so she's back in school whereas my 6 year old can't go back until Monday. My husband and I are just laid out by it though. A neighbor made us dinner last night since her family had it last month. I started paxlovid yesterday so really hoping it helps!
Well, I'm sorry you feel so poorly but it does make me feel better that I'm "not alone" in the suffering! It absolutely laid me out like you are describing. But 4 other coworkers were much more mild. I wonder how much has to do with viral load at infection time. I was happy my husband never caught it because I couldn't do anything as far as taking care of my dogs, cooking food, etc. Good luck with the Paxlovid. I couldn't get my hands on it in time.

Can I ask if the folks on this thread who had covid were vaccinated? No judgment at all, just wondering if the vaccine would make you have a milder case.

I just keep hearing people who have had covid recently describe it as a mild cold lasting 3-4 days, a minor inconvenience. What you all have seems a bit more than a mild cold.

Again, no judgement, just curious. We traveled recently but wore masks even though the airlines dropped the mandate. I was wondering if dropping the mandate would cause a rise in cases. It seems a few on this thread caught it traveling or from others who traveled.

Everyone in my family is vaccinated and boosted. My parents are double boosted. It's been like a moderate cold, but it's lasted over two weeks at this point. It's improving, but slowly.

Based on the timing, my sister may have actually caught it at home before going to Costa Rica.

Last edited:
Whine away, you are not alone. I probably have it but have not been tested. I was at Disney the week of Easter. Arrived on Easter Sunday and by late Wens evening was starting to get a sore throat. Didn't think much of it. Thursday I had mild cold symptoms so figured I caught a cold, which was not beyond the realm of possibility. I had been using lots of hand sanitizer since I had been there and masked up in close situations like the stretch room at HM but not at all indoor locations. This was my 4th trip to WDW since they reopened but my first with all mask restrictions dropped. I have been fully vac. but not boosted. Anyway, since I wasn't feeling the best on Thursday, I didn't leave my room except to go to Epcot early in the morning and just walk around and go to the Living Seas (I wore a mask while in there since even if it was just a cold I didn't want to spread it). By Friday it was a full blown whatever. I did not have a fever, no aches and pains, just mostly nasal congestion and a slight cough and sore throat. Again, I stayed in my room most of the day and any time I ventured out I wore a mask and sanitized like crazy. I had to drive home to Georgia on Sat (a 7 1/2 hour drive). I has been 2 weeks and 2 days since I first got the sore throat and still have nasal congestion but not horrible. Hubby started getting cold symptoms on Wens. after I got home on Sat. His lasted almost exactly a week but after the 2nd day he was just a little congested. He is vac. and boosted. Neither of us got tested since we were both staying at home so no chance of spreading anything and figured why bother. Could be just a bad cold but I've never had a cold last over 2 weeks. He had a slight temp. maybe 2 degrees over normal. Neither of us had any chest congestion so I might still be leaning toward a cold. I have no plans to leave the house for at least another 3 or 4 days, just in case, and if I go indoors anywhere I'll wear a mask. Hubby does have to drive to SC on Sat. but by then he will be 10 days out.

My teenager has been sick since Tuesday and has missed playing at a school concert and 2 AP tests. She's going to do the make up day for the tests. She's done 2 covid tests, flu test, step test and all negative. She's had sore throat, upset stomach, and off and on fever and just feels very crappy. It's the worst timing for illness. The end of the school year is very busy.

I'm flying to WDW next week, and I need a negative test to get in.
This week Wednesday morning my direct colleague texted our team: I've got covid...
That's terrible timing, as I am anxious enough already. Until now I am still negative.

The coming week I am working from home and masking whenever I am near other people in the supermarket.
This weekend is Mother's day here, I've asked my mother, brother and his fiancée to selftest before meeting on Sunday, which they will.

I’m school cafeteria manager and manager to dodge it for almost 2 yrs we delivered food to families all through it till back in school then my stay at home Dd had to our into the work force ( husband left her after 20 yrs for another woman) woman who was training her came down with Covid so daughter got it and gave it to me.
I was very ill fevers as high as 105.6 terrible congestion for two weeks, took another two weeks to start feeling better.
Yes I was vaccinated

I'm flying to WDW next week, and I need a negative test to get in.
This week Wednesday morning my direct colleague texted our team: I've got covid...
That's terrible timing, as I am anxious enough already. Until now I am still negative.

The coming week I am working from home and masking whenever I am near other people in the supermarket.
This weekend is Mother's day here, I've asked my mother, brother and his fiancée to selftest before meeting on Sunday, which they will.
Yes - just so. I'm heading to the States again on May 16 and will require testing. Even when you have absolutely no reason to believe you have Covid, taking those tests really does a number on your nerves. I sit on pins-and-needles for the few minutes it takes to get the results. :scared:It was even worse in February when I had to test to be permitted to come home to Canada.

Just got a notification that the third kid in less than a week in my daughters class has Covid (first notification was Monday, she was Wednesday's, now Friday). Everyone be extra careful out there! In school transmission is clearly a thing right now.

Just got a notification that the third kid in less than a week in my daughters class has Covid (first notification was Monday, she was Wednesday's, now Friday). Everyone be extra careful out there! In school transmission is clearly a thing right now.
I get email notifications from 6th grade grandson's middle school (I'm in the system as a dad/guardian, the 'real' one is a deadbeat) and in the past week, 31 COVID's from 6, 7 and 8 grades. It was about half that number back in the high numbered Omicron, Dec/Jan, then almost none. I would say this is post spring break/Easter, relaxing mitigations, no masks effect.

OP here. Sorry to hear that so many others are affected by this. I actually think I got off pretty easy, based on what others are going through. We're all vaxxed and have had one booster. My first day of symptoms (although still testing negative) was easy enough. The second day (when I tested positive) was the worst. I asked DH and DS to find a big rock to put me out my misery but they refused. The headache, body aches, fatigue, no appetite and overall "blech" feeling were pretty bad. By that evening, I suddenly felt a bit better. DH said not to jinx it, that it could come back with a vengeance! I woke up the next day (yesterday) still feeling better. I ate actual meals and didn't even feel like I needed a nap. My fever was low grade and I kept the Tylenol going to keep the aches at bay. Today I still have an annoying cough, but my pulse ox is fine (we have a monitor here).

According to the CDC website, DH is officially cleared from isolation today as long as he stays masked. He can go out and about to get supplies if we need anything. It still stinks that we can't see our son before he leaves for his summer job. The bright side is that we all seem to be coming out of this fine, we have a nice house to isolate in, we have plenty of food, we have jobs to go back to and we have each other. Just trying to stay positive!

I’m sorry OP.. that’s terrible timing for you. I hope you all are on the mend quickly.

Sunday my 18 year old came home from visiting his sister all weekend and he looked awful. He went straight to bed with a bad headache. We tested him when he got up and he was positive. My daughter and her fiancé tested positive the next day .

I started feeling like a I had a cold on Tuesday but hit a wall Wednesday night and felt horrible. I tested positive yesterday. My lungs hurt and I have zero energy. Just nothing. I got dressed today and that was about all I felt up to.

This put us all in isolation. Dh can work from home, I can’t. And I don’t get paid when I don’t work. Dh is still testing negative. Ds18 is still in high school and a bunch of his friends are sick so we think it likely came from there. It’s just everywhere right now. And if I feel this bad from this variant, I am VERY thankful I didn’t get the earlier ones.

Yes - just so. I'm heading to the States again on May 16 and will require testing. Even when you have absolutely no reason to believe you have Covid, taking those tests really does a number on your nerves. I sit on pins-and-needles for the few minutes it takes to get the results. :scared:It was even worse in February when I had to test to be permitted to come home to Canada.
I think I'll take a test at a healthcare center tomorrow, as I don't know how reliable these tests are once they have been in a drawer for several weeks/months, general inaccuracy and to avoid me doing it incorrectly.

And probably will take another healthcare center test on Wednesday to monitor. Flying on Saturday, official test needs to be done one day in advance on Friday.

The friend I am travelling with is staying at her parents this week, went to an in-person convention today and has a half marathon this weekend. If I don't get anxious about my own negative status, I am getting anxious about hers! :P Luckily next week she will isolate/work from home as much as possible as well.

I was vaccinated and boosted, and I still caught COVID. First week was a like bad cold. I was sick, but the self test at home came back negative. I was able to work from home. Second week was like the flu, and I tested positive. I struggled to work through it. I took two days off. Then came the fatigue and brain fog. Both myself and significant other caught it and had roughly the same symptoms for the same amount of time. One of my employees also caught it and had about the same.
The vaccine doesn't protect 100%, just lowers the chance that a person will be hospitalized or end up dead. Not sure why people think the vaccine is like some magic bullet? The only way to avoid getting COVID is to wear a mask inside (when around others for longer than a few minutes) and to be diligent about washing hands after touching things in public. Of course, I also have to tell my high school students not to share water bottles, etc.

The vaccine doesn't protect 100%, just lowers the chance that a person will be hospitalized or end up dead. Not sure why people think the vaccine is like some magic bullet? The only way to avoid getting COVID is to wear a mask inside (when around others for longer than a few minutes) and to be diligent about washing hands after touching things in public. Of course, I also have to tell my high school students not to share water bottles, etc.

I don't think people think the vaccine is a magic bullet. Personally, I was curious because I know people who had covid recently and said it was just a few days of a stuffy nose. Now, I am hearing more people, like on this thread, saying it was two weeks of misery and months of lingering exhaustion. I was wondering it this was a new variant, or if folks had not been vaccinated and were getting the same variant, but it was hitting them harder if they were not vaccinated. I think dropping the mandates on planes and in airports is driving this. Hopefully it peaks soon and drops off.

UHG to the high school students LOL! Sharing bottles, hugging, eating off each others forks etc.

Last edited:
No one that's been paying attention thinks that anymore. The reason it's being asked to get a sense of the severity of symptoms based on vaccination status. Even with that, there doesn't seem to be a good correlation anymore except against severe illness and death. As far as the "mild" illness, that severity runs the gamut and doesn't seem to matter whether or not you've had 1 through 4 doses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter