Can I Whine for a Minute?

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
Well, despite our best efforts, Covid finally found our household. DH was cast in a community theater show, attending the first three rehearsals last week and then learned there was an outbreak in the cast. He started coming down with symptoms a few days later. One-by-one, the rest of us went down too. Of course, this is the absolute worst time for this to be happening!

DS23 is flying out on Saturday for a summer job (singing/acting in his first professional show since graduating college last year!). The only bright spot is that he left on Sunday morning to spend most of this week with his GF. He has been feeling fine and testing negative, so at least he seems to have dodged the bullet. If he had to delay his departure, it would have been really awful! I'm just sad because I won't be able to hug him before he leaves. We were planning dinner together tonight, and DH and I were taking the day off tomorrow to help him get packed up and spend time with him before he leaves. He has one suitcase already packed. We're going to have to pack the second one with him on Facetime so he can tell us what he still needs. We'll have to leave the suitcases outside the front door and wave goodbye to him through the window. He's going to spend his last two night with my sister and she will drive him to the airport.

At least we already have two trips planned to go out and see his shows. I'm going at the end of June with my mom, sister, brother and a family friend (DH will be performing in his show all summer so he can't go until later). DH, DS26 and I will be going out at the end of July.

I know, it's like a first world problem. It could be worse, but the whole thing just makes me incredibly sad. Saturday also happens to be our anniversary, so after dropping him at the airport that day, DH and I had plans to head to the coast for a weekend getaway. Then we would come back on Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day. Instead we're all holed up in our house, feeling crummy and sorry for ourselves.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Yes, you can whine. I am recovering from COVID myself. Managed to avoid it for over 2 years. Was back at work, they dropped the masks at work, and an employee came in right after an Easter cruise and 5 of us got sick at one time. We've had 3 more cases at work since.

I got very sick with it (though still considered a mild disease). I'm on Day 14 now and still don't feel great but I am improving. The strangest part is that my husband did NOT get it and, believe me, I was hacking and whatever all over the house.

I had the worst sore throat of my life and it lasted 8 long days. Nothing would help it.

Took me two weeks to get over it. And then the fatigue kicked in. It's taken a good two months and daily cardio to get over the fatigue. I had brain fog that also lasted a little bit over a month post getting over it. And my cardio is still not back to pre-COVID levels.

I wish you the best of luck.

It just hit my family, too. My parents, middle sister and her family, and a friend and her daughter went to Costa Rica together last month. My sister and the friend tested positive while there and got stuck there for an extra week. Everyone else made it home, but then my dad tested positive. I caught it from him. My mom and other sister have also been sick, though testing negative. It makes the most sense that they both did catch covid, though, based on timing and symptoms. I've been coughing and mucusy for two weeks and I'm ready for it to be over.

Took me two weeks to get over it. And then the fatigue kicked in. It's taken a good two months and daily cardio to get over the fatigue. I had brain fog that also lasted a little bit over a month post getting over it. And my cardio is still not back to pre-COVID levels.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the details. I just keep wondering how long I'm going to feel off. Some people in my office got over it relatively quickly. I keep feeling like a big, slow slug.

Thanks for the details. I just keep wondering how long I'm going to feel off. Some people in my office got over it relatively quickly. I keep feeling like a big, slow slug.

I had symptoms for two weeks with the middle bit being the worse. Once I got over the symptoms, the brain fog and fatigue hit me like a brick. The only solution I found to get over those two was daily cardio. And that was tough in the beginning. All I wanted to do was crawl back in bed. Two months later, I still have some days of brain fog and fatigue, so it's not completely gone, but it's not as bad.

My doctor put me on a statin and told me to take baby aspirin after I got it. He said my risk for stroke and cardiac events is elevated for the first three months post COVID even with mild symptoms. That's scared me a bit.

Luv Bunnies you whine away. Don’t brush your feelings off as “a first world problem”. This your life, your family, and your feelings. I’m sorry things happened this way for you and I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Can I ask if the folks on this thread who had covid were vaccinated? No judgment at all, just wondering if the vaccine would make you have a milder case.

I just keep hearing people who have had covid recently describe it as a mild cold lasting 3-4 days, a minor inconvenience. What you all have seems a bit more than a mild cold.

Again, no judgement, just curious. We traveled recently but wore masks even though the airlines dropped the mandate. I was wondering if dropping the mandate would cause a rise in cases. It seems a few on this thread caught it traveling or from others who traveled.

Last edited:
As for how long Covid symptoms last, that’s so individual. I came down with it in mid January as did a friend. Both of us had been vaccinated and boosted and have the same comorbidities.

He had symptoms like a cold and it was over in less than a week, no long term symptoms.

I had symptoms like a moderate case of the flu. It took 14 days for the worst of it to subside and for me to test negative. Nearly 4 months later and I’m still having fatigue, brain fog, and shortness of breath and tachycardia with exertion. Covid just sucks.

I feel your pain. In January my husband and I went to visit our son where he was doing an internship. We had lots of fun things planned. As soon as we arrived our son started having symptoms and tested positive. We had not been in contact with him yet at that point. The only possible upside was that we were able to get him supplies he needed and be close by in case he needed help. He was vaccinated but not boosted. His illness lasted about 5 days although they required he isolate 10 days. I would describe his symptoms as similar to the flu. He felt pretty bad but recovered quickly.

Also, I had Covid before there was a vaccine. I was very sick and hospitalized for 6 days. The illness lingered for weeks. It was pretty awful.

Can I ask if the folks on this thread who had covid were vaccinated? No judgment at all, just wondering if the vaccine would make you have a milder case.

I just keep hearing people who have had covid recently describe it as a mild cold lasting 3-4 days, a minor inconvenience. What you all have seems a bit more than a mild cold.

Again, no judgement, just curious. We traveled recently but wore masks even though the airlines dropped the mandate. I was wondering if dropping the mandate would cause a rise in cases. It seems a few on this thread caught it traveling or from others who traveled.

I was vaccinated and boosted, and I still caught COVID. First week was a like bad cold. I was sick, but the self test at home came back negative. I was able to work from home. Second week was like the flu, and I tested positive. I struggled to work through it. I took two days off. Then came the fatigue and brain fog. Both myself and significant other caught it and had roughly the same symptoms for the same amount of time. One of my employees also caught it and had about the same.

I have had both Covid shots and a booster. As I said in my case I had a stomach virus so I all ready felt crappy and wasn’t able to bounce back to deal with Covid.
I’ve had brain fog and fatigue and cough and sniffles.

But I feel very fortunate because it could be worse. Our belief is that my dd and her boyfriend went to a concert recently unmasked crowd. My dd has been vaccinated as well as her dd 6 the boyfriend hasn’t and seems to have done worse even being young and has had it before.

Not the op but in the middle of week 1 of Covid at our house. All of us are vaccinated and boosted. We are careful by nature but dropped masks at work two days a week (rest remote) and that was a mistake. Many cases from work popped up this last week.

I have had 102.5 fever for a few days (same for other family members). Due to being high risk I was sent for monoclonal antibody infusion today and I am still feeling completely miserable. I am typing this from bed where I am very achy, headache, burning throat, fever, cough, and congestion. This feels like a nasty case of flu- not a mild cold.

ETA- I also cannot smell a thing. I thought this symptom was mostly gone with the newer variants but whatever version I caught still has it. I can barely taste anything but I think that has to do with lack of smell.

Thank you for being so honest …all of you.
I was starting to feel like the only person still wearing my mask . But it has made me realize even more …everybody everywhere seems to be coughing and sneezing , etc and No masks !
We might want to believe everything’s OK

I hope you all recover soon .

And plan to keep your message with me.

Thank you for being so honest …all of you.
I was starting to feel like the only person still wearing my mask . But it has made me realize even more …everybody everywhere seems to be coughing and sneezing , etc and No masks !
We might want to believe everything’s OK

I hope you all recover soon .

And plan to keep your message with me.
The thing about masks. Really 2 people and myself at work wear masks and wash our hands.
But at home no mask and it’s a apartment so not a lot of room to be apart lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter