Can DDP and non-DDP sit together?

twinnersmama

Mouseketeer
Two families going together ... can we sit together at a restaurant if one family is on DDP and the other isn't?

Are there any perks to having the DDP that you can't if you aren't on DDP? ... other than convenience.
We have only ever used DDP... but this year my twins will be 10, making them adults for the DDP. I am sure we can eat for less than $168/day ... so if we can't get in on free dining, I don't know that the DDP is the way to go.
Will we be missing out on anything?

Yes, any combination of diners can dine together; just let your server know who is on what plan.

I don't do the dining plans. I have tried the regular twice and the deluxe twice and it just doesn't work for me. So I don't see any benefit. You are going to get a lot of different opinions on it.

Two families going together ... can we sit together at a restaurant if one family is on DDP and the other isn't?
. . . certainly
. . . the person at the podium will ask who is OOP/TIW/DDP/etc
. . . then, the Server will verify from the slip printed for him/her

Are there any perks to having the DDP that you can't if you aren't on DDP?
. . . absolutely none

I am sure we can eat for less than $168/day
. . . most people can
. . . in most cases, paid-DDP doesn't pay back financially
. . . there are lots of examples, including Disboard's own analysis

. . . nope

Absolutely, you can all sit together. Just be aware that those who use the DDP cannot share meals with those who are not on the DDP. We had the DDP a couple of years ago and my sister did not, and I was not able to even let her drink my soda (I just drink water). I did let her try a few bites of a meal, but she ordered her own as well. It wasn't a big deal to have separate checks, one for DDP and one not.

Absolutely, you can all sit together. Just be aware that those who use the DDP cannot share meals with those who are not on the DDP. We had the DDP a couple of years ago and my sister did not, and I was not able to even let her drink my soda (I just drink water). I did let her try a few bites of a meal, but she ordered her own as well. It wasn't a big deal to have separate checks, one for DDP and one not.

Just curious, but what was stopping her from ordering water and the two of you switching drinks? Surely they wouldn't penalize you for doing that, since it's the same cost to them?

yes! We ate w/ my friends last trip & they were on the DDP & we were not. WE just had 2 different checks :)

Are there any perks to having the DDP that you can't if you aren't on DDP? ... other than convenience.
We have only ever used DDP... but this year my twins will be 10, making them adults for the DDP. I am sure we can eat for less than $168/day ... so if we can't get in on free dining, I don't know that the DDP is the way to go.

I sure hope so. We are going in May. We have TIW and are using that for 9 of us. The other two have the dining plan. It will get interesting. :)

Just curious, but what was stopping her from ordering water and the two of you switching drinks? Surely they wouldn't penalize you for doing that, since it's the same cost to them?

Honestly we tried that at Tony's. Yep, they charged her.

We had a meal on our trip in March with a combination of DDP and TIW(OOP)
we treated another couple to dinner, we were on DDP and they weren't just told our server that we would be using a combination for the check but didn't specify who was and who wasn't. I think under this scenario, the drinks wouldn't matter but we were a party of 9. Our server was wonderful and used the DDP for the most expensive meals and then brought the check for the less expensive meals.

As for DDP being worth it, it totally depends on how you and your family plan on eating while at WDW on vacation. Often times once everyone is "adult" price (10+) often times DDP isn't a savings. Our family is DH, me, DS15, DS13, DD9, DS8, DS4, and DD2, so we have had 2 Disney "adults" for a few years, but my older boys have always been adventurous eaters and couldn't wait until they reached Disney's magic age of 10 to qualify for the adult DDP, so they could order adult entrees and desserts. They eat every bit of their entitlements and have done so . But if your twins will want to either share every meal (ordering an adult entrée) or a combination of kids meals and adult meals than going OOP may be the best for your family.

We are talking about another trip after the first of the year and DS15, has already said that he really wants to get the DDP again, so he can get any snacks he wants without having to worry about the cost and having to share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!