Can a day guest use DME?

I understand this - but I was told once you check in and receive your entitlements the package requirement has been fulfilled and there are no more restrictions. We had the dining plan, checked in and then a few hours later went back and added my sister who was arriving the next day. No problems whatsoever.

I am going to edit my post to be more clear that we did have a dining plan.
This seems to be what changed. Disney has always had the rule that people with packages had to have the same features. Adding a guest at the desk was a way around the requirement. Disney seems to be taking steps to close that loophole.

Many, many people have reported having a package that included the ddp, arriving at the resort, checking in, and adding an addtl person to the reservation for a day or two later. Those late add-ons didn't have to be on the same pkg as the original guests. In some cases those addtl guests were going to be there for just a few days out of the entire booked reservation...so it made no sense to have them have to have passes and ddp for days they wouldn't be there.
Now, I wish Disney had a way to add those late comers to the reservation, but charge them for the days they would be there. If they were arriving on day 3 of a week long reservation and leaving on day 5, then they could be charged for 3 days, or 2 nights, of the pkg. I realize this won't be a popular thought, but it would make it much easier to add latecomers, or those that would be there for just part of the time.

My guess is that this is another example of why the individual cast member you speak with makes a huge difference. I was explicitly told at the Guest Relations desk at the resort that we had to add my husband as a day guest because in order to add him to the reservation, we would need to have him on the same package entitlements as the rest us. Meaning, he would have needed the DDP for the full length of stay, booked before we arrived. However, I will also note here that the majority of my CM experiences at this resort left a lot to be desired. So, I would not be surprised if this was not accurate.

I will say however, that it would not really make sense to be able to add someone to your reservation after check in if you have an OOP dining plan. Since the DP rules clearly state that all guests in the room have to have the same package, what would stop you from booking a ticketless package for part of your group, checking in without reporting a member or two of your party and then adding them later? People could easily get around the "only some members having the dining plan" question.

Now, I wish Disney had a way to add those late comers to the reservation, but charge them for the days they would be there.
This would make much more sense, and solve this issue entirely.

This seems to be what changed. Disney has always had the rule that people with packages had to have the same features. Adding a guest at the desk was a way around the requirement. Disney seems to be taking steps to close that loophole.

Then way it was explained to me was that that it was a computer issue rather than a ticket, dining plan or resort issue. The system couldn't book a package in advance with different entitlements but once you checked in then that wasn't an issue and the CM's can add guests without tickets or dining credits.

I don't think my sister was ever classified as a "day guest" as we were charged the extra adult fee for her and only for the nights she actually stayed with us.

And to clarify I was never looking to "exploit a loophole" lol, but my sister already had tickets and could not take off work for the entire length of our trip.

As I said up thread we no longer book packages and honestly with all the issues I have had with WDW Resorts in general its going to be while before I stay onsite again anyway. Already canceled my Memorial Day trip and rescheduled my August trip from the BWI to the Dolphin.

if they are staying overnight they are not "day guests." But you don't want them on your full package. So you can add the partial guests when you arrive and they won't be on the package.

Everybody on the same reservation has to have the same package. So you can't have a full package for some of your group and a ticketless package for some of your group. Plus a ticketless package is room and dining plan. You can't just take out the room and leave the guest with a dining plan only.

I doubt it has actually changed, and it isn't a "loophole." Some parties just can't have everybody on the same package. Where the "loophole" comes in might be if you're having a friend spend the day and you want them to go to the pool with you so you put them on your reservation. Not if you have a party member who can only join for part of the trip.

I'm heading to Orlando next week, staying in my dd's almost empty apt so I can clean it appropriately, then I move over to POR.
Here's the rub...dh has decided to join me, the day I head to POR. But the reservation is a CM discount, made by my dd. Ok. There's no way I can add him to the reservation since he's surprising our dd. So I'll drive to mco to get him. Hopefully, I can add him to the reservation once he's there, in person. I really want him to be able to use DME going back to mco. Oh, the tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive!!

How terrible. Did your room exceed occupancy? If not, I can’t understand why it was even an issue.

It did not exceed occupancy. It was just my parents in the room and we wanted to add my sister and pay the $25 per day charge.

While I would not try to find a loophole in the dining plan, I can't help but think that this is a good way for people to get around the requirement of everyone being on the same dining plan, especially if people can be added to the reservation after they check in.

The downside is if they are arriving together they could not take dme

This whole thread has me extremely nervous. I had called and confirmed that my minor niece would be able to be added to my reservation for the last 2 days. They said she would be added as a day guest. Once I added her she be able to use DME, which I really hope is the case because Mears won't book since they provide DME. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This whole thread has me extremely nervous. I had called and confirmed that my minor niece would be able to be added to my reservation for the last 2 days. They said she would be added as a day guest. Once I added her she be able to use DME, which I really hope is the case because Mears won't book since they provide DME. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What type of reservation do you have - a package or a room only? This makes a big difference. I have added my sister as well as my niece numerous times to a package after check in and never ever where they referred to as a day guest.

If you don't have a package then just add her for the entire trip now and make the Magical Express reservation based on her actual arrival and departure time.

If you have a package things can be more complicated but I have been able to add a guest after we have completely checked in, sometimes I wait until day 2 and then make the DME reservation.

What type of reservation do you have - a package or a room only? This makes a big difference. I have added my sister as well as my niece numerous times to a package after check in and never ever where they referred to as a day guest.
I do have a package. It's just me in the room for the first 5 days so it doesn't put me over any limit. I called to confirm all of this was possible prior to booking her flight and buying her park tickets so it's a little maddening.

Okay, reporting back on my experience...

Upon arrival at CBR, I was able to add my husband and son as "day guests." I was completely up front with the CM who checked me in (indicating that they would be staying with us overnight and explaining the circumstances). The CM who checked me in and the concierge CM both indicated that I could not book my husband on the Magical Express and could not get room keys for them. HOWEVER... there was a delay in obtaining access to my room. When I went to the front desk to inquire, the CM was very friendly so I figured I would ask her about DME as well. Much to my surprise, she said, "I think we can do that!" She consulted with the resort manager and then made the DME arrangements for my husband, who was arriving that evening. She also gave me room keys for him and my son.

So lesson learned. When you don't get the answer you were hoping for, ask again... because, chances are, you'll eventually be accommodated. I truly believe that Disney does want to make its guests happy!

Okay, reporting back on my experience...

Upon arrival at CBR, I was able to add my husband and son as "day guests." I was completely up front with the CM who checked me in (indicating that they would be staying with us overnight and explaining the circumstances). The CM who checked me in and the concierge CM both indicated that I could not book my husband on the Magical Express and could not get room keys for them. HOWEVER... there was a delay in obtaining access to my room. When I went to the front desk to inquire, the CM was very friendly so I figured I would ask her about DME as well. Much to my surprise, she said, "I think we can do that!" She consulted with the resort manager and then made the DME arrangements for my husband, who was arriving that evening. She also gave me room keys for him and my son.

So lesson learned. When you don't get the answer you were hoping for, ask again... because, chances are, you'll eventually be accommodated. I truly believe that Disney does want to make its guests happy!
I think some of the confusion is that you keep referring to your husband as a "day guest." He's not a day guest. A day guest is someone who is using the hotel amenities without spending the night.

This is true. Someone staying overnight is not a "day guest." A day guest is someone who will only be visiting at the resort for the day. Someone at WDW was apparently misusing that terminology.

I think some of the confusion is that you keep referring to your husband as a "day guest." He's not a day guest. A day guest is someone who is using the hotel amenities without spending the night.
That may be the case, but also term used by the CM. I’m simply sharing my experience for the benefit of others. I understand your point. Perhaps they were not technically day guests. That is what CMs called them, since they could not add them to our group, travel agency made reservation.

We just did something like this but under DVC. My Daughter and her Boyfriend checked out and my friend and her daughter checked in. But the CM had to actually check out whole party out and check us back in to get everyone on and off the reservation. We did not have to change rooms ( We were at OKW near Hospitality House). And my friend was able to use DME this way. The other choice was to be a day guest but that just did not leave us enough amenities. The weird part was that with DVC this trigger a full cleaning of the room. I never expected that but it was nice to have all fresh stuff with the switch in guests.

That may be the case, but also term used by the CM. I’m simply sharing my experience for the benefit of others. I understand your point. Perhaps they were not technically day guests. That is what CMs called them, since they could not add them to our group, travel agency made reservation.
I had the same experience. Stayed for 7 days. Niece stayed the last 2 days with me. They referred to her as a day guest and added her to my reservation as such. If she was added as a guest I would have had to purchase tickets and dining for all the days she wasn't there.

Now I am in a state of panic................my son will be joining us day 5 of our 10 ten trip. His plane gets in very late (12:30am) and I was wondering if he would be able to use DME. I plan on adding him as a "Day Guest" as told by the Disney CM on the phone, because we have a package booked. Now I am reading that DME will not work out! Any other suggestions?????

Now I am in a state of panic................my son will be joining us day 5 of our 10 ten trip. His plane gets in very late (12:30am) and I was wondering if he would be able to use DME. I plan on adding him as a "Day Guest" as told by the Disney CM on the phone, because we have a package booked. Now I am reading that DME will not work out! Any other suggestions?????

DME will work out fine. If there is any issue, have him Uber in.

Don’t panic! You may need to ask more than one CM, but be kind and persistent in your request. Ask to speak a manager if necessary. It can be done, but all CMs are not aware.

Still, I would have a back-up plan. Uber or you can reserve a car service if it makes you more comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter