Camper-related mods/projects - Post 'em!

Chris,

Nice hand made holder. The dust pan is for when things get really bad? :D

I brought the new camper home to figure out the "Water Connection Center", get a few more things in from the old camper and do a couple of mods.

Here are the shelves I mounted in the front bedroom to substitute for the nightstands we don't have room for.
20160130_145525_zpsdvmdm5f8.jpg~original

And the cord organizers I put in the basement to keep the power cords and hoses from just getting thrown in.
20160130_151251_zpsnyqqrvei.jpg~original

I also put a clock up in the living room. Still haven't mounted the TP holder yet.

j

Installed the black handle next to the door. It's at a better height on your first step than the little white handle. Ah, the little things add up.
photo (2).JPG

We were gifted a 1986 Coleman popup and soon realized that the "little bit of work" was going to be a completely total redo due to mold. We gutted the ceiling, removed it, redid it, reupholstered everything, cleaned and resealed all the canvas, new paint, wheels. Here are some pictures of before and after (Can't figure out why they are so big!):

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Before our Spring Break trip (or at least by the summer trip :), we will replace the countertop and remove the sink and stove. Repaint the cabinets with sturdier paint. Hopefully get a "new" car so we can all ride together instead of in two vehicles.

Last edited:

We were gifted a 1986 Coleman popup and soon realized that the "little bit of work" was going to be a completely total redo due to mold.
That's a good looking PUP for being 30 years old. Water... The evil nemesis for these trailers. The first question I got when trying to sell my 13 year old 5er was, "Any water damage?"

I really like the upholstery on the seat cushions.

Even if you redo everything, you'll still have less in it than a new one.

Enjoy,

j

That's a good looking PUP for being 30 years old. Water... The evil nemesis for these trailers. The first question I got when trying to sell my 13 year old 5er was, "Any water damage?"

I really like the upholstery on the seat cushions.

Even if you redo everything, you'll still have less in it than a new one.

Enjoy,

j

We spent $1500 getting it fixed up and we already recouped it by not renting one we've rented for years from a private owner. We had never even been inside a popup before we got this one but you can find everything you need on the internet and there are actual popup forums that can answer event the most obscure question. I love my popup.

Not sure about the Dirt Devil central vac, but I've already replaced my Dirt Devil upright vac becuase it was virtually useless (less then a year old). Love my new Shark brand - perfect for the MH.
May I ask which Shark vac you bought to use in the MH. DW and I are thinking about one for the fiver.

I added LED light strip under the awning. Run wiring down the awning arm, into storage area, then up to control center and hooked them to a spare switch on control center. Looks great!

I just ordered a seven color underbelly LED light kit for 30 dollars on eBay so I can do away with the rope lights on the ground. I will put them on this weekend.

I'd love to add the LED under our awning. But we have a class A and I think it's going to be quite the project!

My trailer aid something I like but I hope I don't have to use, when I replaced my 5er's tires I used it for the first time and come to find out it wasn't tall enough for my camper. So I took a 2x6 and cut it to length and double stacked it and screwed it to the trailer aid, works fine now.
20160205_154037_zpsbkrsxmaz.jpg

I even painted to boards to match...

Here is a bike rack I built for the front of my fifth wheel.
Great job CampingDad!

And nice Cruiser. I just traded my Cruiser after 13 years. Really liked it.

I've seen others that have carried bikes up front like that. I like you mount. Simple and functional.

Did you have the bike rack first? I was wondering how you knew how long to make the bracket to have the bikes clear the front cap.

j

Thanks Teamubr, yes I had the bike rack first and that's what I took measurements off of. But most bike racks are pretty standard. All I had to do was make sure the vertical tube cleared the cap. As far as the bikes hitting the cab of the truck. I got lucky. All I could do was build it and see if it worked.

Thanks Camping Dad. Next question. I wonder how/if that will impact your gas mileage. But at least it will help keep the bugs off the front of the 5er. :-)

j

We've been pulling a Coleman Bayside popup for about eight years now. Over the time, the mods just keep coming. After a July rain storm at the fort when I hadn't lowered and tilted the awning enough, it stretched too much with a puddle of water in it. When I got home I took it to a local awning shop and had them cut it in half and then put it back together. I mounted it on the opposite side of the camper so it covers the slide out table on the Bayside and bought a new one for the door side. Now with two awnings I can keep the windows open in the rain without fear. We also added a bed end shelf, used duct metal to re-route the air flow for the frig so it works better. On the back in the "U" shaped bumper I have a 2x4 bolted in the channel. It is the correct length to support the roof. We popped a lift cable setting up at the fort one year, having a spare support just gives me a little added security.

1975 Fort Wilderness 2 Nights 500 Loop..........1977 Off Property 5 Nights.............................1993 Off Property 7 Nights
1995 Dixie Landings 7 Nights.........................2003 Fort Wilderness 7 Nights 1400 Loop.........2006 Disneyland - Off Property 7 Nights
2006 Fort Wilderness 12 Nights 900 Loop........2009 Fort Wilderness 14 Nights 1300 Loop.......2010 Disneyland - Paradise Pier 8 Nights
2011 Fort Wilderness 11 Nights 1300 Loop......2013 Fort Wilderness 10 Nights 1300 Loop........2014 Fort Wilderness 10 Nights 1300 Loop
2015 Disneyland - Paradise Pier 4 nights.........2015 Fort Wilderness 11 Nights 1300 Loop
** 2008 Chevy Express Conversion Van / 2007 Coleman Bayside **
** Now 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel Looking for a Fifth Wheel **

...snip...On the back in the "U" shaped bumper I have a 2x4 bolted in the channel. It is the correct length to support the roof. We popped a lift cable setting up at the fort one year, having a spare support just gives me a little added security.

When we remodeled our 1986 popup, we inspected and greased every part we could of the whiffletree support mechanism. It seemed to be in good shape and we haven't had problems with it but me being the cautious one, had my husband fashion PVC pipes into the length of the supports and cut a channel in the ends so they fit into the wall and roof. I have two - on diagonal ends. It makes me feel much safer knowing that there is redundant roof supports.

Since we camp alot in Florida in the summer, I bought the reflective blankets from amazon and we attach them to the bunk ends using bungees. We've found it really helps keep the inside cooler and it was so much cheaper than the ones that are custom made for campers.

764053461019lg.jpg

allen + roth 72-in x 16-in Java Wood Closet Shelf

This is what we used to making shelving in our Class C closet. Scared to drill into the walls, too. I think it took 1 piece of the shelving and the sides were out of 1x3 or 1x4. Sides look like a ladder. Tension and very small "L" brackets hold the shelves in place. Uprights are not nailed into the walls. Assembled in the closet. Survived 2 trips with blown rear tires and nothing collapsed!

This thread needed another bump. With all the trip reports going on, I've been occupied reading through everyone's fun. But we had two 70 degree days here, so I brought the new 5er home again for another round of additions and while it was here, we had to have another round of driveway camping. The bed in this camper is, by far, the best we have ever had.

Today I spent most of my time chasing down the bad TV signal in the bedroom. There was a splitter that was wired up wrong, but the biggest issue is a bad piece of coax somewhere between the main splitter behind my basement wall and the bedroom. They pulled a 2nd coax into the bedroom for a 2nd satellite receiver, so I switched that over to the antenna lead for now. I'm debating letting the dealer try to run a new piece of coax. It is in the ceiling and it would be a huge pain to get to. The outer walls on this are something called Azdel. It's a composite solid core foam reinforced wall. Not sure how you would get into it and pull a new wire at this point. Either way, antenna and setellite signal works everywhere now.

I also installed some decorative baskets in the kitchen. We picked these up at Ikea a few weeks ago and the fit in perfectly.

kitchen_zpsqfv5xd1s.jpg~original

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!