• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California vs Florida

Alice still rides the teacups. When the ride started she put her hands up in the air like it was a roller coaster!

A 10 minute walk from your hotel to the gates (true story!), MUCH better weather (no thunderstorms, minimal humidity).

Disneyworld doesn't appeal to me at ALL. I mean, I know there is tons of neat stuff to see, but I hate humidity and lining up to take a bus just to get to the park turns me off!

We have thunderstorms at DL. Or like, we have THUNDERSTORM. As in, like, one per year.

We just had it a few weeks ago. In fact. All clear for the rest of the year!

I live on the east coast and I LOVE WDW. 7 years ago, I decided to give DL a try. It has nostalgic rides from my childhood like Mr. Toad. It has more dark rides, which are my absolute favorites. Two words: Cars Land. As others have said, the walkability of the two parks and downtown Disney is astonishing when you are used to busing everywhere around WDW. I will always love WDW and will return more often just for the ease of travel and because WDW has plenty to offer that DL doesn’t have, like Epcot, Animal Kingdom, water parks, etc, but I am going back to DL this summer for a 2nd visit. I think it is absolutely worth it. If you love WDW and have never been it would be like going to WDW with tons of new rides opening along with so many of your old favorites. The only negatives are the longer flight and the lack of indoor queues, but there are far far more positives. Do yourself a favor and go to DL!

I'm in PA and I've gone to WDW more times than I can count. We decided to visit California and well, DL is there, so we thought we'd give it a shot. It is now my favorite! I can't wait to go back!
I'm in WI, which is far better than PA, in my opinion. Badgers are better than Keystones. :)

But in all seriousness, I'm sort of in the same boat with you. I have been to WDW multiple times and never been to DLR. Headed out to DLR later this summer and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a bit of a history nut and everything I read and see and hear is that there is so much more history associated with DLR as it relates to Walt and that really interests me. Also, the smallness of the two parks is something I'm looking forward too as well. Sometimes WDW is just too big, geographically speaking, for me to have the ultimate experience.

I'm in WI, which is far better than PA, in my opinion. Badgers are better than Keystones. :)

But in all seriousness, I'm sort of in the same boat with you. I have been to WDW multiple times and never been to DLR. Headed out to DLR later this summer and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a bit of a history nut and everything I read and see and hear is that there is so much more history associated with DLR as it relates to Walt and that really interests me. Also, the smallness of the two parks is something I'm looking forward too as well. Sometimes WDW is just too big, geographically speaking, for me to have the ultimate experience.

You should love it!!! It's so different yet the same, and the history just makes it better

The history is fantastic. We're WDW vets, yet we tried DL back about a decade ago, and have been going back at least 1 to 2x per year ever since. And as others have pointed out, do yourself a favor and fly into SNA. It's sooooo much closer and less stressful. We just take a shuttle when we fly in. When we drive, we deal with the CA traffic, which I much prefer to our traffic here in Big D.

I feel different when I am in Disneyland, compared to DW. It's a special place, that makes me extra happy, compared to WDW.

WDW just exhausts me (humidity, buses, etc.). I still love going to WDW, but not as much as Disneyland.

In any case, as far as traffic, if you come into SNA airport, and stay in the Disneyland area, you will avoid the majority of the traffic.

If you want to see other stuff and still avoid traffic, you can travel to San Diego, Palm Springs area, etc. Note that at normal rush hour times, San Diego can get just as bad as any other city.

You will encounter bad traffic, no matter what you do if you try to go to Los Angeles. It's unavoidable for the majority of the day (7am to 7pm). "Rush Hour" is basically all day.

Lifelong DL visitor living on the west coast. Was always a dream to go to WDW someday. After going for the first time in 2019, the whole family had a blast. However, shortly after the trip when I asked if we should go back again, the reply was "maybe in 5 to 10 years". We loved the unique rides and attractions there, it's just not enough to go on a frequent basis.

Here are the advantages of WDW in my opinion:

1) The stage shows: There are a lot of stage shows open in WDW (especially in Hollywood Studios, but also in Animal Kingdom). Disneyland just has the new Lion King show, and the hyperion is not open.
2) Epcot: World Showcase is very neat. The only negative on Epcot is it's large size, and lack of cover from the sun.
3) Animal Kingdom: The animals. Yes, there are zoos and safari parks in California that can fill that need. The heat is a killer though.

The rest, overall, either Disneyland wins, or it's too close to call.

I live on the east coast and I LOVE WDW. 7 years ago, I decided to give DL a try. It has nostalgic rides from my childhood like Mr. Toad. It has more dark rides, which are my absolute favorites. Two words: Cars Land. As others have said, the walkability of the two parks and downtown Disney is astonishing when you are used to busing everywhere around WDW. I will always love WDW and will return more often just for the ease of travel and because WDW has plenty to offer that DL doesn’t have, like Epcot, Animal Kingdom, water parks, etc, but I am going back to DL this summer for a 2nd visit. I think it is absolutely worth it. If you love WDW and have never been it would be like going to WDW with tons of new rides opening along with so many of your old favorites. The only negatives are the longer flight and the lack of indoor queues, but there are far far more positives. Do yourself a favor and go to DL!
Hmm, I have been to DL before, but probably not for 10-ish years and don't remember the queues at all. Are pretty much all of them outside? Do they have some kind of covering from the sun? That is not something I would even think of when determining differences between the two.

The accessibility makes it so you can see more in less time at DLR. Genie + can also make a more of a difference because of this if you are looking to hit more rides in less days. (Haven’t used it yet at WDW, but I hear it isn’t quite as efficient or available.) You can come for a short 2-3 day trip and not feel let down at all the things you missed. Or you can stay for 5 and really see everything. The time it takes to get in and out of WDW parks, let alone hopping, is something you have to plan for. Not at DLR. Time aside, the energy saved for experiencing the fun is the best benefit.

Hmm, I have been to DL before, but probably not for 10-ish years and don't remember the queues at all. Are pretty much all of them outside? Do they have some kind of covering from the sun? That is not something I would even think of when determining differences between the two.

Most queues have at least an outdoor portion, but I don't feel like it's that different than WDW in that respect. Disneyland has at least heard of shade, and there are many queues that have adequate tree growth to provide ample shade. I honestly can't think of any problematic outdoor queues at DL, and I am a very sun sensitive person. The majority of queues are under cover.

There is a mixed bag at DLR, but definitely plenty of outdoor waiting. Even on rides like Indians Jones, which has a fantastic, huge indoor queue space, the majority of the wait is outside so they can manage the LL/standby ratio before people enter the building.

Outdoor queues are easier to tolerate in DLR because the heat isn’t as wet.

There is a mixed bag at DLR, but definitely plenty of outdoor waiting. Even on rides like Indians Jones, which has a fantastic, huge indoor queue space, the majority of the wait is outside so they can manage the LL/standby ratio before people enter the building.

Outdoor queues are easier to tolerate in DLR because the heat isn’t as wet.

The IJ line outdoor portion winds through foliage from Jungle Cruise and is almost 100% shaded all day long.

In thinking more about this, the following are the only outdoor queues that are in full sun for PART of the day and part of the queue (before shadows place them into shade or they go indoors/under cover):

At DL:

Matterhorn (the portion that wraps around the mountain)
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Autopia (a short portion)
Pirates of the Caribbean (extended queue area)
Space Mountain (a small portion upstairs/outside)
Splash Mountain

At DCA:
Guardians (extended queue)
Toy Story Midway Mania (small portion)
Webslingers (the worst offender right now)

Every other queue is either fully shaded for its entirety or its indoors for the most part.

Radiator Springs Racers also has misting fans in the queue.

The IJ line outdoor portion winds through foliage from Jungle Cruise and is almost 100% shaded all day long.

In thinking more about this, the following are the only outdoor queues that are in full sun for PART of the day and part of the queue (before shadows place them into shade or they go indoors/under cover):

At DL:

Matterhorn (the portion that wraps around the mountain)
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Autopia (a short portion)
Pirates of the Caribbean (extended queue area)
Space Mountain (a small portion upstairs/outside)
Splash Mountain

At DCA:
Guardians (extended queue)
Toy Story Midway Mania (small portion)
Webslingers (the worst offender right now)

Every other queue is either fully shaded for its entirety or its indoors for the most part.

Radiator Springs Racers also has misting fans in the queue.
I’ve only been to DL once and it was several years ago, but if memory serves me correctly Storybook Canal boats also had outdoor queue as did Mr. Toad and Alice in Wonderland.

I’ve only been to DL once and it was several years ago, but if memory serves me correctly Storybook Canal boats also had outdoor queue as did Mr. Toad and Alice in Wonderland.

They do, as do many others, but they are almost always in shade due to trees. If you look on Google Maps satellite view, you can see the trees over the queues. Alice sometimes extends out and is in the sun for a couple hours each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter