California DVC Owners Group

I'm wavering in uncertainty. The issue on my mind involves theme park ticket purchase + theme park reservations.

We have a VGC resort reservation for early May. I'm not eager to go through the [Ticket + Park Entry Reservation] dance. I'm sorta thinking: rather than get stuck with a potentially unusable ticket ... I'll wait and purchase park tickets onsite at resort check-in pending guarantee of park reservation. In short, just allow the resort CMs to make it work.

If we don't have park reservations, we'll wander elsewhere from our digs at VGC. We'll take our boards and find some land to ride. Our reservation is only two nights ... it isn't a long stay ... so being 'stuck' next to the theme parks w/out entry isn't the end of the world.

Thoughts?

I'm wavering in uncertainty. The issue on my mind involves theme park ticket purchase + theme park reservations.

We have a VGC resort reservation for early May. I'm not eager to go through the [Ticket + Park Entry Reservation] dance. I'm sorta thinking: rather than get stuck with a potentially unusable ticket ... I'll wait and purchase park tickets onsite at resort check-in pending guarantee of park reservation. In short, just allow the resort CMs to make it work.

If we don't have park reservations, we'll wander elsewhere from our digs at VGC. We'll take our boards and find some land to ride. Our reservation is only two nights ... it isn't a long stay ... so being 'stuck' next to the theme parks w/out entry isn't the end of the world.

Thoughts?
Depends on how much you really want to get into the parks. They've made it clear that hotel stays at this time does NOT guarantee reservations and has put a big cold blanket on VGC and probably GHC reservations. Unless formally available, front line CMs at the hotel won't have access. Doubt even managers have discretion for Theme park reservations.

Right ... but I really don't want to get stuck with tickets that can't be used.

In the left hand: I have the option to purchase theme park tickets on 4/15 that may or may not snag theme park reservations for our travel dates. Net result: We travel. We paid for tickets but cannot enter the parks.

In the right hand: I wait until resort check-in to purchase tickets and reserve entry. If it works, all three things come together: travel + theme park tickets + theme park reservations. If it fails, we still travel but have not incurred the added expense and disappointment.

Park entry is only "strongly desired" if I've spent the money to purchase tickets. In all, I'd say I really don't care if we don't get into the parks. This cooling off year has done wonders for my spirit of adventure ... there are plenty of other things to fill our time away from the Disney Resort grounds. Again, we will absolutely be bringing our boards (referenced earlier in this thread) and will be finding places to ride every day. (We must continue our 'day streak' ... riding, at minimum, 1 mile every day.) Meeting the day streak is more important than park entry.

EDITED TO ADD: Here is a YouTube link to the new sport we've picked up since Dec 2020:
These riders are employed by or associated with the board's manufacturer. We are 'still learning' but certainly enjoying trails.

Attached is a photo from our trail ride last Saturday at the Ramona Grasslands Preserve, Ramona, CA. My husband is at the top of the image ... conquering the trail! I'm a bit more pokey given the runoff logs across the trail.

Depends on how much you really want to get into the parks. They've made it clear that hotel stays at this time does NOT guarantee reservations and has put a big cold blanket on VGC and probably GHC reservations. Unless formally available, front line CMs at the hotel won't have access. Doubt even managers have discretion for Theme park reservations.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.JPG
    IMG_3698.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Thoughts?

As a former forever AP, I have no desire to spend money on single day tickets. I understand why the program was canceled, but we’ve been ok without the parks for 13 months. I don’t personally feel the need to rush to buy tickets/acquire reservations to get back in ASAP. Our next VGC reservation thankfully isn’t until late November, so that buys us more time to see if “membership” options are released.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea for you to wait until you’re at the resort if you don’t care that much about getting into the parks. Either the CMs work their magic, or you can enjoy DtD/surrounding areas. 💁🏼‍♀️

Thoughts?
There will be no guarantee of a reservation on site and I think it is unlikely that there will be onsite tickets and reservations available in May. I would wait until ticket sales are open, buy the ticket (through the website, not member services) and make a reservation. But I would check to make sure your dates are available before buying a ticket.

I believe you can make reservations as soon as you have tickets in hand, up to 60 days in advance.

There will be no guarantee of a reservation on site and I think it is unlikely that there will be onsite tickets and reservations available in May. I would wait until ticket sales are open, buy the ticket (through the website, not member services) and make a reservation. But I would check to make sure your dates are available before buying a ticket.

I believe you can make reservations as soon as you have tickets in hand, up to 60 days in advance.
If I understand correctly, Reservations started on 4/12 but ticket sales do not open until 4/15. So those with existing tickets have had opportunity to book Reservations. The 60-day window doesn't help us as we are already inside that period during the 'start up.'

Is it possible to check for Reservation status before purchasing tickets? I suppose I could try checking that now ... but again, I do NOT want to be in a position where I purchase tickets and then find no available reservations for the 1 day that I want (a Saturday, no less!) during our travel window.

I realize that there is no guarantee of a reservation during check-in ... but at least if I wait for check-in I can link the two pieces together: I need tickets and reservation.

EDITED TO ADD: Yes, it appears one can can browse inventory before having a ticket.
Link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/availability-calendar/?segments=ticket,ph&defaultSegment=ticket

Last edited:

If I understand correctly, Reservations started on 4/12 but ticket sales do not open until 4/15. So those with existing tickets have had opportunity to book Reservations. The 60-day window doesn't help us as we are already inside that period during the 'start up.'

Is it possible to check for Reservation status before purchasing tickets? I suppose I could try checking that now ... but again, I do NOT want to be in a position where I purchase tickets and then find no available reservations for the 1 day that I want (a Saturday, no less!) during our travel window.

I realize that there is no guarantee of a reservation during check-in ... but at least if I wait for check-in I can link the two pieces together: I need tickets and reservation.

EDITED TO ADD: Yes, it appears one can can browse inventory before having a ticket.
Link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/availability-calendar/?segments=ticket,ph&defaultSegment=ticket
I was going to say, you can check before buying tickets and Disney has said they are keeping some reservations back for those purchasing on the 15th.

Some other theme parks are automatically making reservations when you purchase your tickets. Basically with the other parks, you select your date when you purchase and it does everything at once, not sure why Disney isn't doing the same thing. Of course if you have an annual pass or exists ticket for those parks, there are ways to make a separate reservation as well. Disney is behind the curve on this one.

As a former forever AP, I have no desire to spend money on single day tickets. I understand why the program was canceled, but we’ve been ok without the parks for 13 months. I don’t personally feel the need to rush to buy tickets/acquire reservations to get back in ASAP. Our next VGC reservation thankfully isn’t until late November, so that buys us more time to see if “membership” options are released.
I wish my next VGC reservation was in September and that I didn't have points expiring in May so that I could see if those membership options are available by then. Originally I thought I'd be fine with going to the VGC and just using DtD, enjoying the resort if it wasn't open. Now that the parks are an option, and we got to go to Touch of Disney, the idea of staring at an open park just kind of sucks. I don't really want to go through the stress of trying for tickets/reservations on what will be an assuredly high demand weekend, don't really want to spend $235 for 1 park 2 day tickets when I could save it for a future AP, but also don't want a weekend in the room or doing "California" things since that's what we've been doing for our last year of socially-distanced, masked trips. I try to budget Disney pretty carefully so that we can alternate it with international travel, as well as required trips to visit family and friends in other states during holidays so my allotment for tickets only includes paying for AP's every other year.

I guess its a frame of mind thing. Our September trip is my niece's 16th birthday, with a larger travel party involving more friends than usual, so that feels like its worth paying the premium on for the hopper, then after that taking a break from DLR until they offer a multi-day ticket that can be used over the course of a year or an AP again. I don't mind the lack of fireworks/parades/shows (although I'll miss those absorbing the crowds if ToD was any indication). The May trip in 2020 was supposed to be an "extra" because we had APs and points left. Now this May '21 trip is forced because the points are use or lose. If tomorrow ends up being too crazy and we can't get Memorial Day weekend tickets, I may go the bwvbound route and just wait util we get to the hotel to see if reservations are available, or I might rent out the villa reservation to someone who got tickets & park reservations and stash that cash away for future APs. This is the first time I've been irritated with my DVC's time limits; I'd much rather kick those points to a future UY even though I understand logistically why that's not great for the membership as a whole.

Last edited:
@taaren, there is so much in your post that strikes a chord of agreement with me! Likewise with @LilyJC's comment regarding the 'appeal' of purchasing single day passes when one has come from APs. Yep ...

My additional burden comes from the experience of our Thanksgiving 2020 visit including Buena Vista Street. We were so, so deeply underwhelmed by the Disney aspects of that trip. It haunts me now ... do I really want to gamble on Disney? I'm skittish at this point having been disappointed by the Nov trip. B-b-but ... we are so accustomed to just shrugging it off and accepting whatever Disney does, right? Ugh. I'm feeling like a sheeple.

I am feeling the same about VGC. I have banked points I need to use by 11/30. But I have 2 weeks at WDW in September and don't want to use them all in the fall. I have 4 nights booked in July for the anniversary (we go for that every year) and then another 2 night booked in November. Need to check over points to see if have used all the banked (probably also need to reallocate a bit too). But I don't want to buy a 4-5 day ticket for July and another 2-3 day ticket for November plus a 1-2 day ticket to go in May or June since I live local when I can be saving the money for an AP (or membership as they are being referred to as). I may just try to use all my banked points up in July and consider cancelling November before my banking deadline which is late July. Ugh - I need details on the memberships and when we might see them. I really am not wanting to spend a lot buying general tickets when APs should come back. Although based on WDW, I am not expecting soon. They are only renewing APs and not selling new. I was only able to get one because I had a Premier Pass.

Now this May '21 trip is forced because the points are use or lose. If tomorrow ends up being too crazy and we can't get Memorial Day weekend tickets, I may go the bwvbound route and just wait util we get to the hotel to see if reservations are available, or I might rent out the villa reservation to someone who got tickets & park reservations and stash that cash away for future APs.

Ugh, I’d definitely be frustrated as well in your particular situation! Perhaps we’ve soured some on Disney as we chose to skip ToD.... 🙄 Anyhow, I have VGC points (that were graciously extended) from a MS cancellation due to the VGC closure expiring at the end of May as well. We were fortunate to have an Aulani reservation that we could flop those into and release current UY points. In your situation, I’d likely rent your points/reservation just to try to cover dues instead of dumping more money into DLR. My oldest is turning 16 this year, so I agree that your September trip is much more worthy of that money spent. Especially if they decorate for fall/Halloween as normal! Good luck with whichever route you opt for!

They are only renewing APs and not selling new.

This irks me incredibly as well! We have a BCV/CCV stay in December as part 2 of our huge milestone birthday celebration year. If APs aren’t for sale, we’ll either hit Universal or dump the trip completely for another Aulani visit. I want to have grace for Disney, but the fact they’re allowing a select group to purchase WDW APs aggravates me!

Ugh, I’d definitely be frustrated as well in your particular situation! Perhaps we’ve soured some on Disney as we chose to skip ToD.... 🙄 Anyhow, I have VGC points (that were graciously extended) from a MS cancellation due to the VGC closure expiring at the end of May as well. We were fortunate to have an Aulani reservation that we could flop those into and release current UY points. In your situation, I’d likely rent your points/reservation just to try to cover dues instead of dumping more money into DLR. My oldest is turning 16 this year, so I agree that your September trip is much more worthy of that money spent. Especially if they decorate for fall/Halloween as normal! Good luck with whichever route you opt for!

This irks me incredibly as well! We have a BCV/CCV stay in December as part 2 of our huge milestone birthday celebration year. If APs aren’t for sale, we’ll either hit Universal or dump the trip completely for another Aulani visit. I want to have grace for Disney, but the fact they’re allowing a select group to purchase WDW APs aggravates me!

i hear you! I keep lurking the boards to see if there’s any inkling or clue that AP sales are on the hotizón, but nothing, zip, nada! 😩

Thanks for starting a thread for us CA DVCers!

1. When did you become a member?

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Direct,

3. Where do you own?
CCV

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?
Multiple day trips to DLR with our first VGC stay in a month (5/13), haven't been to HH, Vero, or Aulani or the DVC side of WDW yet. Plan to go to Aulani for our eventual Hawaii trip and possibly a 2 week cross country road trip to WDW this summer/early fall.

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
Legacy AP for DLR 😢 after being Premier the past 2 years. Currently don't have a valid AP for either side but awaiting "membership" announcement and could renew on the WDW side.

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
I flew Jetblue for my solo trips to WDW because of price and they had the best redeye. Thinking of changing to southwest for future trips because the baggage policy is pretty enticing with what other airlines are starting to charge for luggage.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
Nothing scheduled yet but the beginnings of a road trip is being planned.

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
Both my solo trips were 9-days/8-nights but staying on points means we can do 7-days/6-nights.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom!

10. Favorite DVC resort?
Haven't stayed on the DVC side yet but I think it will be AKL. Although I've resort hopped to WL and have to say I love my home resort too.

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?
The fact that I have to do all the planning. Even requests for input from the family are met with "idk you're the one who knows everything just pick what's best". The before 4am alarm on fastpass day was annoying but it's only 1.5-2 less hours of sleep than a normal work day so I can justify it in my head.

The image they selected to show on the Waiting Room page is curious. Sure, it is BTMRR ... but do they need to remind us that we might just dry up and turn to dinosaur bones before this process completes? Do I really need this image locked into my brain?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts