Cabana Bay and throw away room

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I am about to book my family's first trip to Universal! YAY! My original plan was to book Royal Pacific for one night so we could get the Express Pass and then book Cabana Bay for three nights. We were back and forth as to where we wanted to stay when, and after talking with my TA, she suggested that we book Cabana Bay for four nights (she mentioned something about a better discount due to a longer stay) and then book Royal Pacific as a throw away room. We'd check in but actually not stay there. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I've never heard of such a thing. Good idea or no?

As I mentioned, this is our first trip so we know nothing about any of the resorts, but we have watched videos and I think Cabana Bay looks nice but my DH thinks it looks old. Now I'm starting to worry about staying there. We are coming from Disney where we'll be staying at the Yacht Club. For those of you that have stayed at Cabana Bay, will we be disappointed staying here?

Lastly, we are purchasing three-day, park-to-park tickets. Can we go to Volcano Bay and another Universal park on the same day?

Thanks for any help!

If you have 3 day park-to-park tickets, those don’t include Volcano Bay. They need to be 3 day-3 park tickets, then you can pop in and out as much as you’d like.

If you have 3 day park-to-park tickets, those don’t include Volcano Bay. They need to be 3 day-3 park tickets, then you can pop in and out as much as you’d like.
I just looked and my quote says 3-park, 3-day, park-to-park ticket, so I should be good, right?

For your throwaway room at RPR, you can check in as early as 6am, everyone doesn`t need to be there, but you will be issued room keys for everyone registered in the room with the name and date of stay stamped on them.

That`s your EP too.

You can then head out to the parks as early as they open and enjoy EP for two full days.

Many people do this regularly.

For your throwaway room at RPR, you can check in as early as 6am, everyone doesn`t need to be there, but you will be issued room keys for everyone registered in the room with the name and date of stay stamped on them.

That`s your EP too.

You can then head out to the parks as early as they open and enjoy EP for two full days.

Many people do this regularly.
Great information! Thank you!

Does your family like the Retro theme? Cabana Bay is a “do it yourself” resort. We have stayed at Beach Club a lot (were dvc owners there) and we LOVE Cabana Bay and its pools BUT it is nothing like Yacht Club. I would compare it to Pop Century at Disney.

The resort is fantastic if you like the vibe, but the amenities are basic, like no luggage Delivery to your room.

Does your family like the Retro theme? Cabana Bay is a “do it yourself” resort. We have stayed at Beach Club a lot (were dvc owners there) and we LOVE Cabana Bay and its pools BUT it is nothing like Yacht Club. I would compare it to Pop Century at Disney.

The resort is fantastic if you like the vibe, but the amenities are basic, like no luggage Delivery to your room.

We are fine with basic. My DH and I stayed at POP for a quick trip last April and we liked it so much more than we thought we would. We usually stay deluxe at Disney because we visit so often and we are at the point that we spend just as much time at the resort as we do at the parks. I foresee us not spending much time at Cabana Bay because we only have three full days and we want to do as much in the parks and Volcano Bay as possible since I'm not sure when we'll be returning to Universal.

We are fine with basic. My DH and I stayed at POP for a quick trip last April and we liked it so much more than we thought we would. We usually stay deluxe at Disney because we visit so often and we are at the point that we spend just as much time at the resort as we do at the parks. I foresee us not spending much time at Cabana Bay because we only have three full days and we want to do as much in the parks and Volcano Bay as possible since I'm not sure when we'll be returning to Universal.
I think you’ll love Cabana Bay. Since it isn’t technically on the walking path to the parks A lot of Disney regulars are a little anxious about trying the bus, but don’t be, the busses at Universal are excellent.

I’m in the same situation, debating doing 4 nights in Cabana Bay + a throwaway room OR 2 nights CB + 1 night Royal Pacific + 1 night Cabana Bay. 2nd option seems like a lot of hassle for a 4 nights trip to save $167.

Anyone done that much moving for one trip?

I have, but not back to the same hotel.

We did CB 2 nights, PBH 1 night (Club!), then SF 4 nights. We're 2 adults so it wasn't too much hassle. We ubered each move.

The week was very slow and our first PBH day stormed (downpour most of the day) so EP was useless that day, but it was great the checkout day which was an Orlando school holiday. I would do it again.

I’m in the same situation, debating doing 4 nights in Cabana Bay + a throwaway room OR 2 nights CB + 1 night Royal Pacific + 1 night Cabana Bay. 2nd option seems like a lot of hassle for a 4 nights trip to save $167.

Anyone done that much moving for one trip?

I haven’t done that, but that’s too much moving in one trip for me. I’d just book the throw away room.

This is really interesting, we are currently booked for Yacht club for 16 nights but considering doing cabana bay first for a few days then heading to yacht club. We are a bit concerned about a “step down” from Yacht Club but the lazy river and other facilities including volcano bay on the doorstep looks like a good sell. We figured that the cost saving for four nights basically pays for the universal tickets.

Ive not seen the throwaway room before. Is the idea that a £500 room with 2 days of EP less than paying separately for 2 days of EP for a family of 4?

This is really interesting, we are currently booked for Yacht club for 16 nights but considering doing cabana bay first for a few days then heading to yacht club. We are a bit concerned about a “step down” from Yacht Club but the lazy river and other facilities including volcano bay on the doorstep looks like a good sell. We figured that the cost saving for four nights basically pays for the universal tickets.

Ive not seen the throwaway room before. Is the idea that a £500 room with 2 days of EP less than paying separately for 2 days of EP for a family of 4?
The express pass you get with Portofino/RP/HR room is the two park/unlimited express pass. I priced out that level of EP for two days for four people on April 19/20, just a random Wednesday/Thursday post Easter. It would cost you $1559.92 to buy EP out of pocket for those two days as an add-on.

Is the idea that a £500 room with 2 days of EP less than paying separately for 2 days of EP for a family of 4?
It's nearly always cheaper for a family of 4. And often cheaper even for 2, or only using one day of the EPs for 4 peeps. Unless the standard rooms fill up & you'd need to book a suite.

Plus the room is refundable/ changeable- the bought EPs are neither.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter