BWV or OKW

What should we do?

• Save the $150/night and stay at OKW

• Splurge and move to BWV

Results are only viewable after voting.

poohs4me

DIS Veteran
We currently have a 1 bedroom available at OKW. We got a pretty ok deal on it with the use of a PIN Code. We really wanted BWV 1 bedroom, but when I booked nothing was available - regardless of the rate.

Well today I noticed that our dates have opened up for BWV, but it will cost about 150 more a night. My questions is what do you think we should do - stay at OKW or move the reservation to BWV?

By the way the reason we originally wanted BWV was because of the guaranteed second entry to the bathroom and more importantly the location.

I think you have 2 very good reasons for changing and 1 bad.
If the good reasons are really important,switch.
If it were me, I would.

I would not switch to BWV, but that's just me! To explain why I would'nt switch, I prefer the more spread out DVC's like SSR and OKW over BWV. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy BW, however, its limited (as in none) food options right there at the resort and the fact you either walk or boat to MGM and Epcot, and then share busses to MK and AK with other resorts just turned me off. I also enjoy the separate buildings, where I can park right outside my door. The one bedrooms at OKW are huge. We stayed in one in October and I was just amazed at how much larger it was than the one bedrooms we had done at SSR and BWV. Frankly, I would pay $150 a night more for OKW. But again, that is just me. OKW has a lot of ambiance, its very laid back, centrally located, doesn't share busses and we were in love at first sight. I also disliked the long hallways at BW but again, I prefer to park right outside my building. Some people don't like the condo feel, I do, we're all different!

Its your vacation, if the $150 per night won't stress you out, then go where you want to stay. I know what I would do, but that's just me. You cannot make a bad choice in the end, they are both lovely resorts with lots to offer!

While staying at OKW this spring, we made a visit to BWV and toured the resort.

I can honestly say - though we enjoyed OKW - we wished we had booked BWV.

So if I had the choice, there is no question we'd book BWV.

:thumbsup2

I don't know how important the room size is to you.....but, I have heard that OKW is MUCH more spacious than any of the other DVC resorts.

I don't know how important the room size is to you.....but, I have heard that OKW is MUCH more spacious than any of the other DVC resorts.

Boardwalk Villa one bedroom: 712 square feet
Old Key West one bedroom: 942 square feet.

So a difference of 230 square feet, almost the size of entire value room.

Some differences that I remember between the two resort one bedroom units, are that the living room area at OKW had a sofa, chair with ottoman and a loveseat. BWV living room didn't have the loveseat and I don't recall if the chair had an ottoman. The kitchen table at OKW is larger and it has a lot more storage in the kitchen area as well. The washer and dryers at OKW are full size vs. the smaller stackable kind. And the OKW unit has an actual laundry room vs. a closet with a washer and dryer inside it. The balconies in the OKW one bedroom are much larger and have a full size table with four chairs vs. the small table and two chairs of the BWV balconies. So in all they are more spacious inside and out. For a couple that might not make much if any difference, for a family of four (as we are) it was huge.

They are so hard to compare as far as resorts and location. But unit wise, the OKW ones are much more spacious with more places for people to sit and eat.

If you can afford the money and you really want BWV just go for it.

If you stay with OKW make your 1st request the newer buildings with separate bath entrance.
Happy planning
Kerri

:idea:
Stay at the Boardwalk...your feet will thank you!
Boat shuttles to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios(MGM)!
The night life on the Boardwalk is great fun!:banana:

Go with OLD KWY WEST...larger rooms, great quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

We have stayed at the OKW in a studio and loved it because it was very quiet and we had a killer rate of $189 a night. We did a split stay and the OKW was the first part of the trip, we didnt do much park time at all, just chilled by the quiet pool....It was a very nice stay and it was a great price and it was nice and quiet which is exactly what I wanted....would we go back? Only if it was super cheap again, if we paid rack rate it would have been $370 a night and we didnt feel it was worth that.

The BWV can get very loud and very busy BUT we love that area (we always stay at the YC) and there are great dining choices within walking distance as well as the resort.

$150 a night? I'm a cheapskate, totally save the money! That's your days' food. Or a fireworks cruise or the HDDR....... Or plane tickets or park tickets. Stay at OKW. Dine at the Boardwalk.

Staying at BV is like staying in a hotel, miles of corridors, people walking past at all times of day and night and the noise that that brings, and more impersonal. Whereas OKW you live in your own home, your own front door,Parking space outside your home, a choice of busy pool or three more quiet ones. More relaxing if that's what you want although there is stacks to do if you want it, more secure, Oh, I could go on, don't forget that OKW was the first DVC built and everything had to be perfect to attract investment in membership, after they finished building they started to look for short cuts ie. smaller rooms, down grading appliances to smaller sizes etc.
That's just my opinion, I suppose that I am biased, I just Love OKW.
Hope this helps.:woohoo:

Thanks for all the input!! We have decided to just stay at OKW. We figure we have never been there so why not try it. Extra money to spend on something else or save for another trip. :thumbsup2

I think you made a good choice.

As others have mentioned, the 1br's @ OKW are considerably larger.

Also, the balconies are bigger, and they have a full size washer and dryer vs. stackable units @BWV.

This may not efffect you, but if you have a car OKW is much more convenient parking wise.

Have a great trip:thumbsup2 .

I also think you made a good choice. We love BWV, but for that much money per night you'll be sabing, I'm sure you'll find a lot to love at OKW as well.

:idea:
Stay at the Boardwalk...your feet will thank you!
Boat shuttles to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios(MGM)!
The night life on the Boardwalk is great fun!:banana:

yes to all.... and also don't forget the endless dining choices with being so close to Epcot, on the Boardwalk and across at the BC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter