BVC gator is alive and well

Originally posted by westjones
Why doesn't Disney have it removed? It sounds dangerous having it around BCV.
DJ

Disney has removed this gator and it returns. This is due to people feeding it. When humans feed gators the outcome is usually death for the gator as they will always find a way to come back to the easy food source.

I just can not believe people think these wild animals are pets.

Sorry to hear about the landscaper. I had been wondering if Disney had a problem with gators since I also have a timeshare at Orange Lake and a gator occassionally shows up. They remove it as quick as possible. Like most people here, they warn people not to feed it or to get to close. I'm been told that it is impossible to complete eliminate the possibility of gators getting into the resort given the large number of gators and waterways in the area. They request that people report any sightings and they will call animal control to remove it. It sounds like Disney does the same but I'm wondering how many people have actually reported it to Disney and not treated it as part of the attractions?

Most areas in FL have size restrictions on nuisance Gators for removal. It varies from place to place I do not know what Disney goes by, but most areas I am familiar with have a 4ft to 6ft min length. The news article today mentioned Sanibel's is 8 ft where the attack occurred.

Believe it or not some people thought the one at the MK last year was an animatronics or brought in by Disney for show. The CM that was there and having a heck of a time trying to keep people from feeding it, kept trying to tell people that it was real! Like Sammie said, an alligator that has been fed usually has a death sentence when it comes time for removal.

We looked for the famed "Tom Sawyer Island" gator on our last visit in June. A nice OKW secturity man described to me where to look for the creature and said they had tried repeatedly to trap it. The gator was camped out behind the turkey leg stand in Frontierland because people would feed it, making it quite dangerous as mentioned in above posts. This trip A CM told me they had finally caught the MK gator and were relieved as he was getting big enough to really be a threat.

We then were lucky enough to see a gator near the entrance to Eagle Pines golf course. The OKW bus would go right by there daily, right after passing the entrance to Ft. Wilderness. A few times we saw him just pass the entrance gates, sunning himself on a rise you could see from the road. Coming from the Midwest, we were thrilled to see a gator, although I probably wouldn't want to golf with him around!

We live on a lake and have had our share of gators. We have the "grandpa" who is about 11-12 feet long. ...Haven't seen him in about 8 months - but he's out there, somewhere.

Earlier this week, our neighbors called the police because one (about 6 feet) came out and was sunning in the middle of the road.

Anyway - my word of caution.

Normally the gators around here pretty much keep to themselves. But where you have to worry is when you stumble up upon a nest. They are VERY defensive! Our lawn guy accidentally came upon a nest a few days ago. He jumped into a nearby boat, where he was literally held hostage by the gator for a few hours, until he could reach someone on his cel phone for help. When they came out, the gator lunged at them, so they shot them. In this situation, it was self-defense and legal.

So be careful when walking near the brush around lakes and waterways - there could very well be nests there...

I posted some more gator pics from BCV. We were there in July 2004 and saw him regularly. I was told by a landscaper there that there were actually 3 different gators in this canal. He called this one "Charlie". Just click here

My DH and friend golfed with two women from FL the last time we were down. They said that when a ball went into water, the women would only swish the ball retriever in once to look for it and then move on.

They said you never know when a gator could investigate the noise and lunge up at you. So a golf ball isn't worth the price you would have to pay.

SO sorry to hear about that landscaper. I wonder why she stayed so close to the pond for so long. Or maybe it was just too quick. Very sad.

And don't feed the wildlife at WDW. Those birds get so agressive now.

It is good to know where they are that way if our kids or anyone elses kids act up we can take them over and feed them to the gators that way people do not have to hear them scream and yell and so on. Now that would be a great solution hehehe J/K

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter