Buying S5 today need advise

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I am going to buy the S5 today :banana: :cool1: I am a newbie who is dissatisfied with my old p&s so I'm moving up. My questions are:

1. Since I'm new I won't be buying any other lens yet until I'm more proficient but I'm concerned about the lousy lens cap that apparently falls off all the time. Any simple solutions???

2. I was thinking of buying the new Sanyo envelop rechargeables but I'm concerned b/c I read here that the higher the # the more power and I believe envelops are only 2000 Nimh as opposed to the higher 2600 or better.

3. Can I use the flash that comes with the camera (for like birthday cake shots and Christmas morning) or do I have to have an external flash??

I'm going to buy from Beachcamera I think.

Thanks for all the help ~ You Dis'er are the best :flower3:

I've had the S3 for about a year and I don't have a problem with the lens cap coming off - unless I cram the camera into my pocketbook. :teeth: I've read of it happening, but just want to let you know it doesn't always happen necessarily.

The built in flash is very strong and has a tendency to overexpose some indoor shots. There are ways you can adjust the flash settings if you find it's a problem and don't want to buy the external flash right away.

Good luck with your camera and have fun!

1. Since I'm new I won't be buying any other lens yet until I'm more proficient but I'm concerned about the lousy lens cap that apparently falls off all the time. Any simple solutions???

I've not read anything practical. Loose fitting lens caps have been a "hallmark" of the S-series since the beginning. They do fall off easily, but it's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

2. I was thinking of buying the new Sanyo envelop rechargeables but I'm concerned b/c I read here that the higher the # the more power and I believe envelops are only 2000 Nimh as opposed to the higher 2600 or better.

That's not quite correct, the higher number doesn't mean "more power" -- it means "lasts longer." A 2000mAh battery and a 2700mAh both deliver the same power to the camera, but the 2000mAh battery won't last as long.

However, the S5 is one of the best cameras as far as battery life goes, so it's not that big a deal.

Those Sanyo Eneloops don't discharge while they're not being used, unlike other NiMH batteries that slowly self-discharge even if they're just sitting in your camera bag or camera. If you aren't going to be using the camera all the time (keeping your NiMH batteries charged), Eneloops are a good option.

3. Can I use the flash that comes with the camera (for like birthday cake shots and Christmas morning) or do I have to have an external flash??

It works fine, but you'll get more red-eye with the on-board flash, too ... but the S5 has built-in red-eye removal software! An external flash just gives you more options and more power/higher speed.

The S5 has interchangeable lenses?

Not exactly, but with the addition of a lens adapter (Canon/Lensmate/etc) you can attach filters and additional lenses like Macro, Wide Angle and Teleconverters.

Check out Lensmateonline.com
for some examples....

I've got a couple of filters, a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens and a Raynox DCR-1540PRO teleconverter for my S3 and I'm very happy with them! The DCR-250 magnifies things 8x so even the tiniest details can be captured and the DCR-1540PRO extends the S3's zoom to 665mm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter