Buying Resale....HELP!

Ashlee Moll

Earning My Ears
I made an offer on a DVC at Animal Kingdom, which was accepted. Price is great, but I am nervous.

I am working with the Timeshare Store, I already have papers in my inbox to fill out, and I made the offer this afternoon. Is this legitimate? It seems to be moving very fast, but I have never bought a timeshare before, so maybe this is just how it works.

Also, I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but wanted to confirm with everyone here. DVC is for 120 points, December use year. It says 90 points are banked from 2018. My understanding is that those banked points can't be used until December? Is this correct?

Thanks, I have more questions, but I am drawing a blank right now. Thanks for any and all help in this!!!

If you wanted to book a trip that occurs before Dec 2019 you could borrow your 2019 points. I have no insight on the timeshare store but others here have used them, I don't think you have to worry about it not being legit :)

I bought one of my resale DVC contracts through the Timeshare store and am buying another through them right now (also at AKV :) )they are long time DIS board sponsors and have been selling DVC for years.
The offer/acceptance goes fast, the quicker you get your papers back the sooner the contract goes to Disney to see if they want to exercise their right to buy the contract back (ROFR.) ROFR can take about a month, once you pass that, it’ll be time to sign the final papers and send your money to the closing company.
All told it takes 2 - 3 months, most of that time is spent waiting, just a flurry of activity at the start of the process and then again at the end.
Then you wait for DVC to open your account and load your points.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/closing-time.3392820/page-224 Scroll through the more recent posts in this thread - it’s posts by people at the end of buying w/ their timelines, also you’ll see several from folks using the Timeshare Store.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Have bought 5 or was it 6 resale contracts thru TSS - they’re my GoTo DVC reseller!

Never purchased from Timeshare stores, but have never read anything bad about them. I wouldn't worry.

They are a legit reseller - used them both to purchase and to sell. And yes, it typically goes that quickly with the top brokers. :)

2018 December UY points would normally be valid for stays from Dec 1, 2018 to Nov 30, 2019. Once they are banked they go into the 2019 UY and would then be eligible for stays from Dec 1, 2019 to Nov 30, 2020. If they are not used be the Nov 30, 2020 then they will expire.

The TSS is legit as others have stated. Good luck with the contract. This part moves fast. When it gets sent to DVC for ROFR a week will feel like a month. ROFR takes usually 3-4 weeks for DVC to decide if they want to buy your contract or let you have it.

My understanding is that those banked points can't be used until December? Is this correct?

Just to clarify, "Use" Year is about when you use the pts for a stay, not about when you go online or call to book.

If you were booking a January 2020 stay, you could call now to use those banked 2018 pts plus current 2019 UY pts plus borrowed 2020 UY pts. December UY can take a little time to wrap your head around since you will often be using a different UY pts than the calendar year you are traveling (except for December stays.)

While you are waiting, definitely read whatever threads look interesting or random to get a better understanding of how to use DVC. Hope it works out for you... :)

I am working with the Timeshare Store, I already have papers in my inbox to fill out, and I made the offer this afternoon. Is this legitimate? It seems to be moving very fast, but I have never bought a timeshare before, so maybe this is just how it works.
I also used TSS for my DVC purchase (also AK 120 points!) I made my offer and within a few hours it was accepted. I thought it was rather quick. Made me think i should have offered lower. I think there might be some sellers who might take time to ponder the offer before making a decision. The rest of the process will take a few months - usually 2-3. So things will slow down for you.

So your points situation -- looks like you have currently 210 (120 (2019) + 90 banked) points in your 2019 UY - You could borrow to use the 120 (2019) points between the time you close until 11/30/19 (technically in your 2018 UY) or you could wait to use them anytime between Dec 1st 2019 and November 30 2020. It all depends on what your plan is and what room size you need. If your contract is all finalized by end of April then there will likely be very little availability in December - that time books up super quick with low points and the holidays. You could find something, but might not be your top choices.

Thanks everyone, this information has been very helpful! Hoping it all goes through as it appears this is the direction we are moving.

Hoping to have some availability in November for the 1/2 marathon once we can start booking, but I know that is a busy time of the year!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!