Buying in to the DVC....Big Decision

My wife and I book one week stays at Deluxe Resorts at Disney World at least once and sometimes twice a year, and are contemplating buying into the DVC via the resale market. On two occasions we stayed at DVC resorts by renting points through one of the on-line point rental companies. The first stay was in November 2009 and the second was January of this year. Both times we paid $13 per point, and I was surprised that the rental price had not increased after more than three years. Shouldn't we expect the point rental price to increase with inflation? The cost of a Disney stay by renting points would still be much cheaper than paying Disney rates, even with Disney's 20-30% special offers. If cost were the only consideration, point rental would seem to be a reasonable (somewhat more expensive) alternative to investing in the DVC.

However, on the down side, it's my impression that points rental is becoming increasingly popular as more people discover it and the Disney rack rates increase with inflation, and it is therefore becoming harder to get the desired accommodations at the time wanted by renting points. (We were on a waiting list for a couple months to get the points for the stay in January.) This figures into our decision on whether to buy into the DVC.

Our two favorite resorts are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, including the villas at both resorts. We almost invariably go during value or regular season and would usually stay in a studio. My strategy would be to purchase the least expensive points, not worrying about which resort is my home resort. The question would be whether we could reliably get the accommodations and dates we want within the 7 month reservation window.

Any insights/advice people have on the above questions would be most appreciated!

watch the resale market for both those resorts! VWL has been selling in the low 60.00's PP and AKV high 60.00's low 70.00's PP. With those prices I would for sure buy where you wanted to stay! You can also get SSR for 55 - 65 PP, OKW the same but I would buy where I wanted to stay since there is not that big of a difference in price. I would stay away from Vero and Hilton Head lower price higher maintenance fees and not a WDW resort if ultimately that is where you want to stay! good luck

Our two favorite resorts are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, including the villas at both resorts. We almost invariably go during value or regular season and would usually stay in a studio. My strategy would be to purchase the least expensive points, not worrying about which resort is my home resort. The question would be whether we could reliably get the accommodations and dates we want within the 7 month reservation window.

Any insights/advice people have on the above questions would be most appreciated!

It all depnds on (1) the time of year, (2) what kind of room you want, (3) how long you want to stay, and (4) luck ... :)

AKV is a large resort, so you would probably be able to get something within the 7 month window most times of the year - but VWL is small, so probably not during the more "preferred" DVC times (which do not line up with the "most popular/busiest" times to visit WDW ...)

The general recommendation is to buy where you want to stay (most of the tme ...)

In addition to the intiial cost per point, you need to look long-term at the MFs and length of the contract. Considering inflation, those longer contracts (for example, AKV) could save a lot of $$ 25+ years from now ...

A little dab more research should do you ...

Good Luck!

...Our two favorite resorts are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, including the villas at both resorts. We almost invariably go during value or regular season and would usually stay in a studio. My strategy would be to purchase the least expensive points, not worrying about which resort is my home resort. The question would be whether we could reliably get the accommodations and dates we want within the 7 month reservation window.

What do you consider value or regular season since neither of those are seasons for DVC booking? If you are considering Oct through Jan in that time, you could be out of luck for a reservation at less than seven months out.

AKV could be a bit easier to get since it is so large, but the value studios would be next to impossible to get at seven months or less. VWL is small, so getting that around the holidays at seven months out is difficult.

chalee94 said:
resale pts ARE still valid for trading out through RCI and a few other options (like intrawest). not a great value, as mentioned above. but it is an option./QUOTE]

I was able to deposit 120 points into RCI and exchange for a 1 week stay in a nice studio in a Shells Vacation in Ontario, Canada. We went there for my honeymoon. There was a $95 booking fee, and it was not easy to get, but I wouldn't overlook RCI as "not a great value". Maybe it's safe to say "not as good a value as staying at a DVC Resort". Regardless, when you're wife says I don't want to go to WDW for our honeymoon, you have options.

I would say that Resale is the best way to go but buy where you would be happy to stay. We bought our first contract for BLT direct at $112pp just over two years ago but with the enormous price hikes I wouldn't consider direct again.

We own 2 contracts at BLT and hopefully (if the ROFR monster doesn't get us) SSR soon. I love both resorts for different reasons and would happily stay at either. SSR is relatively easy to book at any time if the year and the 11month advantage isn't as important as it is at BLT.

If you want to stay at BW or BC around the time of the F&W you really need to use the 11month window or you are likely to be disappointed if you want more than an odd day or two. We managed to get a standard view studio for early September at 7months at BW but I think we were lucky to get that lowpoint room.

I would never borrow money for any sort of holiday and that includes buying in to something like DVC. My dad taught me to make sure I wa never in debt if I could help it and it's a rule I live by. I would recommend saving and buying a smallish contract outright and see if it suits, if you like it you can add-on when you can afford it.

When I first saw the DVC booths I thought this is for us. The more I looked at it though the less I thought it was a good deal. We live in New York and would at best go to Disney every three years. When you factor in the initial cost and the maintenance fees it is a lot of money. The other thing with me is I like a different hotel each time I go.

I keep looking at the forums and think that just renting someone elses points when you want to go is the best deal. I just priced a trip to AKV for the price of POP:hippie: with the current promotion.

I was able to deposit 120 points into RCI and exchange for a 1 week stay in a nice studio in a Shells Vacation in Ontario, Canada. We went there for my honeymoon. There was a $95 booking fee, and it was not easy to get, but I wouldn't overlook RCI as "not a great value". Maybe it's safe to say "not as good a value as staying at a DVC Resort". Regardless, when you're wife says I don't want to go to WDW for our honeymoon, you have options.

it all depends on your comparison, i suppose.

i could probably get a similar trade with my $1 timeshare (compared to over $7,000 for a 120 pt DVC contract) where i pay less than $350 in annual dues (compared to over $600 for DVC dues). what dean and bnoble will tell you is: if you are planning to trade out of the DVC system on a regular basis, there are much cheaper timeshares to buy for trading purposes.

there are a handful of trades where i think you can get good value for DVC trades (typically higher end resorts like hilton, or more expensive resorts such as some of those in hawaii)...but sure, if you already own DVC, it's nice to have options even if they aren't always a great value.

I keep looking at the forums and think that just renting someone elses points when you want to go is the best deal. I just priced a trip to AKV for the price of POP:hippie: with the current promotion.

if you are not an every-year disney person and don't want the long-term commitment, i agree that renting is a better option.

i could probably get a similar trade with my $1 timeshare (compared to over $7,000 for a 120 pt DVC contract) where i pay less than $350 in annual dues (compared to over $600 for DVC dues). what dean and bnoble will tell you is: if you are planning to trade out of the DVC system on a regular basis, there are much cheaper timeshares to buy for trading purposes.
Adding to the point, those with a $1 timeshare and a separate membership with RCI may have booked the summer studio near Ontario as a rental week. Carriage Hills currently has over 900 weeks on deposit with RCI including many rentals starting at just $180 for the entire week. High summer was sitting out for just $306, cash rental, no exchange required:
RCI said:
Studio 2 (2) No Kitchen Fri 28-Jun-2013 Fri 05-Jul-2013 Exchange Fee -OR- USD 305.99 13

The other Shell property nearby, Carriage Ridge, has 44 check-in nights offered with most showing either exchange or rental options.

IMO, when buying resale, purchase a smaller WDW venue. We own BLT and AKL but can't get into BCV/BWV during F&W, VWL at during winter holidays or HH during summer.

Be aware that while DVC's considered 'deluxe' those accommodations can be very WORN - hence the 'club' pricing. BLT is BEAT UP - even the couches at TOWL are showing wear.

Might want to see if the re-sales become venue specific altho I cannot see this happening as it rules out the entire 'club' aspect.

:)...and never forget that DVC WILL CHANGE THE WAY you vacation at WDW. The kitchenette/full kitchen will possibly keep you in your villa longer as you prepare meals. A Community Hall venue may appeal to your children when you have them. You may find it easy to book a DVC villa, use your AP since it hasn't expired...and begin making second and third trips home.

For that much money be darn sure you like where you stay.

there are a handful of trades where i think you can get good value for DVC trades (typically higher end resorts like hilton, or more expensive resorts such as some of those in hawaii)...but sure, if you already own DVC, it's nice to have options even if they aren't always a great value.
As I've said before, owning and deciding whether to trade is completely different than buying with the intent of trading. There is no circumstance where buying with the intent to trade is a reasonable option. IF one is looking at one option to do both, DVC is not a reasonable choice. If you're set on DVC, best to buy just the points you need for DVC and look for other options for non DVC trips.

120 points for a studio would have been for off season, something one could get for a song other ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter