Buying add on, dvc perks

Solid Snake

Earning My Ears
Hello all. My wife and I bought 200 points at AKL April of last year, just days after Disney cut off perks for members who bought through resale. If we buy 25 add on points from Disney directly, will we now have access to the perks? Discounts, etc.

That is what I suspected. Does anyone have any insight into how they keep track of this? We seem to have access to some perks, some of the time. It seems to largely just depend on the judgement of the cast member. For example, we were able to get in the DVC lounge at epcot one day, but was denied the very next day.

From what people say it really hit or miss. I wouldn't expect to get gold AP though, I'm sure the guest service people are more informed about DVC perks.

Also, If you look at your Disney World Account (tickets, reservations, fastpasses) in your profile should be your DVC membership number.
I'm guessing this is how they track it since it's link to your magic bands.

Hello all. My wife and I bought 200 points at AKL April of last year, just days after Disney cut off perks for members who bought through resale. If we buy 25 add on points from Disney directly, will we now have access to the perks? Discounts, etc.
Be certain you missed the cutoff before proceeding since they did grandfather those in ROFR.

That is what I suspected. Does anyone have any insight into how they keep track of this? We seem to have access to some perks, some of the time. It seems to largely just depend on the judgement of the cast member. For example, we were able to get in the DVC lounge at epcot one day, but was denied the very next day.
When you load your digital card on the DVC website is it the regular blue card or the white one that says it's only eligible for TOTWL, pool hopping, and DVD rentals? That is how the discounts are supposedly to be administered since they have no access to a database to check eligibility. As far as the discounted AP and gold AP go MS will not sell you one without first checking to verify you are eligible. When you go to activate it they also require you to supply the card. I would assume if you try to show the white restricted card or no card at all they will deny you.
As far as the restaurant discounts go I've had them Given to me when I was wearing my DVC slider on my magic band a couple times without being asked to see the card and my ID. Merchandise locations have also asked to see both.

Verify your dates and check with MS. There have been reports that not all buyers who were in ROFR were correctly identified as a qualified member.

:earsboy: Bill

When you load your digital card on the DVC website is it the regular blue card or the white one that says it's only eligible for TOTWL, pool hopping, and DVD rentals? That is how the discounts are supposedly to be administered since they have no access to a database to check eligibility. As far as the discounted AP and gold AP go MS will not sell you one without first checking to verify you are eligible. When you go to activate it they also require you to supply the card. I would assume if you try to show the white restricted card or no card at all they will deny you.
As far as the restaurant discounts go I've had them Given to me when I was wearing my DVC slider on my magic band a couple times without being asked to see the card and my ID. Merchandise locations have also asked to see both.
What is TOTWL? Sorry new here

If I'm in the closing process of my first DVC contract via resale, and plan to purchase a 25 point add on direct, does anyone know when the soonest I can call in to purchase? Can I use this as a means of sneakily getting my membership number sooner?

If I'm in the closing process of my first DVC contract via resale, and plan to purchase a 25 point add on direct, does anyone know when the soonest I can call in to purchase? Can I use this as a means of sneakily getting my membership number sooner?
Can't tell you how soon after, but I can tell you the add in is quick. We bought resale in November. The day we got to Disney 2 weeks ago, we met with a guide to add on. We had to go on a waitlist. He called us on our last day there and said he had the points we wanted ( we wanted OKW). I gave him a credit card over the phone. The points were in our account online the next day, along with access to membership extras and the "blue membership card". We actually just got the paperwork in the mail to send back, and my canvas bag, yesterday.

Can't tell you how soon after, but I can tell you the add in is quick. We bought resale in November. The day we got to Disney 2 weeks ago, we met with a guide to add on. We had to go on a waitlist. He called us on our last day there and said he had the points we wanted ( we wanted OKW). I gave him a credit card over the phone. The points were in our account online the next day, along with access to membership extras and the "blue membership card". We actually just got the paperwork in the mail to send back, and my canvas bag, yesterday.

This is great info! Thanks for sharing! We are interested in doing something similar to D-Trick, so hopefully it will work as smoothly for us as it did for you. Now, if I could just be more patient as we wait for our resale closing docs to arrive... :cool2:

This is great info! Thanks for sharing! We are interested in doing something similar to D-Trick, so hopefully it will work as smoothly for us as it did for you. Now, if I could just be more patient as we wait for our resale closing docs to arrive... :cool2:
I remember the wait well. We bought a contract in November then again in December before the first one even closed. The second one went faster. They ended up closing a week apart. (Two different companies)

I have a friend who was looking into DVC. I was wondering if he could do something like this, so I searched and found this thread.

Searching a little more, it looks like they plugged this hole earlier this year. As of February 2018, you have to purchase at least 75 points directly from Disney to get the perks.

... it looks like they plugged this hole earlier this year. As of February 2018, you have to purchase at least 75 points directly from Disney to get the perks.

Yup! They plugged that hole on February 28, 2018. Fortunately, I got my 25 points direct on Feb 2, just before the 75 point requirement :), but after the price increase in January :(

Would someone buying resale today still have access to Top of the World Lounge?

Would someone buying resale today still have access to Top of the World Lounge?

TOTWL and viewing deck is paid for by the BLT owners and not DVD/DVC so for now all owners are allowed in. Since we now have a new Disney DVD/DVC President and SVP, all of the perks could change.

TOTWL and viewing deck is paid for by the BLT owners and not DVD/DVC so for now all owners are allowed in. Since we now have a new Disney DVD/DVC President and SVP, all of the perks could change.

Thanks for filling in the details. I know my response was brief last night.

One thing that separates TOTWL from other DVC perks is that it is for profit. Food and beverages are given away at moonlight magic and the epcot lounge, but are paid for at TOTWL. This means the more people that are allowed in there, the more profits they make, not the more money lost. That's why I think it will remain open to resale buyers, but yes, anything can change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter