Buy direct and MFees

When buying direct, you pay from date of ownership for the current year. MFs are based on calendar year and not UY.

So if you bought today, they would bill you from July 5th to Dec 31st for the 2020 dues. Then in January, you would be billed your 2021 MFs, and every January from then on

He asked about 2019 fees. I'm pretty sure any resale contract would list and outstanding dues and would need to be paid at closing in order to keep or return the account into good standing.

I just agreed to buy 100 points direct last Thursday. I am getting 100 points for 2019 and 100 points for 2020 but I was told I only need to pay the dues for when I close until the end of the year so July-Dec. It will be pro-rated so I will pay 6/12 of the dues for this year (a couple months after close) but will get 2 full years of points. I was told they don't always give you the points for the prior year or for the entire year

I just agreed to buy 100 points direct last Thursday. I am getting 100 points for 2019 and 100 points for 2020 but I was told I only need to pay the dues for when I close until the end of the year so July-Dec. It will be pro-rated so I will pay 6/12 of the dues for this year (a couple months after close) but will get 2 full years of points. I was told they don't always give you the points for the prior year or for the entire year

Which UY? Maybe that played into it.

If you buy a contract direct right now then do you pay 2019, 2020, or 2021 maintenance fees to begin?
As @Sandisw said, MFs are based on calendar year, not use year. When you buy direct, you pay a pro-rated amount of MFs based on when you close not on # of UY points you get. So if you purchased now and closed in August, you'd only pay only pay 5 months of MFs (Aug-Dec) even if you got 2019 AND 2020 points at closing.

What UY of points you get depends on when you close, and I wish I had known this when I bought my first direct contract (we bought in September with a September UY, and we likely would have selected a Oct or Dec UY to get the extra points had we known). If you are still within your 2019 UY when you purchase, you will get 2019 and 2020 points, and those points can be banked even if you're passed your banking deadline. So if you were to purchase now and wanted 2019 points as well as 2020 points, you'd need to purchase an Aug, Sep, Oct, or Dec UY.

You will only ever pay dues from date of ownership.

As said above if you buy today you would only ever pay dues from 5th July.

Technically you dont get 2019 points.

If your use year is, say August then you would get points for Aug 19 - July 20

Then you get a new set of points Aug 20 - July 21.

So whilst it seems like you get 2019 points you dont. You get current year points and then a new set of points if your UY is beyond July.

But dues from date you purchase.

I was told they don't always give you the points for the prior year or for the entire year

Not entirely accurate. They always give the full allotment of points for the entire year.

They also give you the points for the UY you are currently in. You got 2019 points, meaning your UY is August or later - those UYs are still in the 2019 year. You always get the full allotment of points for the UY you are in.

He asked about 2019 fees. I'm pretty sure any resale contract would list and outstanding dues and would need to be paid at closing in order to keep or return the account into good standing.

Resale is different than direct. Direct is prorated until the end of current calendar year. Resale is negotiable depending on points already used.

Not entirely accurate. They always give the full allotment of points for the entire year.

They also give you the points for the UY you are currently in. You got 2019 points, meaning your UY is August or later - those UYs are still in the 2019 year. You always get the full allotment of points for the UY you are in.

What I was saying was I was told you don't always get the points for the entire year WITHOUT HAVING to pay for the maintenance fees for that year. By Dec 1st I will have 24 months of points but only pay less than 6 months of maint fees for my direct close. At least that's what my sales agent told me last week.

This is very interesting to hear
I guess that is something to consider in terms of value vs a stripped resale contract...
Thank you for posting!

I purchased BLT last week direct with use year August.

They didn't bank them for me, but using the online chat, they did.

So I have points now banked. But again this is Aug 19 - July 20 points.

What I was saying was I was told you don't always get the points for the entire year WITHOUT HAVING to pay for the maintenance fees for that year. By Dec 1st I will have 24 months of points but only pay less than 6 months of maint fees for my direct close. At least that's what my sales agent told me last week.

Oh right yes, that is correct. You pay pro-rated MFs based on when you buy. So if you buy in January you pay 12 months of MFs, if you buy in December you pay only 1 month, and so on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!