Build a lightsaber now or wait for new ones?

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
We're going next month and the kids want to build a lightsaber at Savi's workshop. I don't want to spend the $400+ now if the new lightsabers might be released in a year or two. I'd rather build droids this time and the lightsabers next time if that's the case.

Any rumors/speculation on whether (or when) these will be released to all park guests or only to those staying at the Star Wars hotel?

I'm personally convinced they won't replace what's at Savi's now and are simply props. Also, they'll operate like a measuring tape, so I'm imagining it'll be WAY more fragile and not good for play.

In any case, it's really more about the build experience than the saber itself. If you are really wanting a high quality saber you could do much better off-site.

You can always build at Tattoine Traders this year and wait for the potential newer ones to do the full experience version. I personally was quite happy with the Savi's experience so I'm biased, but I'd say do it now.

This is going to be like computers and cell phones. There is always a newer better one coming.
The version you are talking about, at least initially will only be at the Star Wars Hotel of the training session. I haven't read anything about it officially being for sale.
If it does end up for sale, most likely we are looking at a few years before that happens. While cool to look at, the video makes it look too fragile for mass use.

When I read gharter's post back in September, I thought to myself "Why on earth wouldn't Disney put the new lightsabers up for sale? Everyone will want one!"

This morning it looks like multiple sources are reporting that the new retractable lightsabers will indeed NOT be for sale, and will only be wielded by cast members. ;__;

I'm assuming it's because they'll be too fragile and expensive. I still don't think that would have stopped a handful fans (myself included) from buying anyways, but I suppose I can understand that it may have been cost prohibitive to produce and sell in small quantities, and not worth the headache of potential backlash related to high price and poor durability.

Just bummed because the hype was so real. 😂

Guests aren't even going to be able to use them on board the starcruiser so i don't think they will be out to buy any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter