Budget stocking stuffers for Grandma?

jaybirdsmommy

DIS Veteran
Help!!!

I want to do some small, stocking stuffer type gifts for my Mother from the grandkids. So far the only ideas I've got are socks and some recent pictures of the kids. I'll also give her some candy and a toothbrush.

Now, to make this difficult, here is a list of things she won't want:

clothing
accessories
jewelry
cosmetics
electronics
books
gift cards for anything other than cracker barrel
food (other than candy)
stamps (loves her computer and does everything electronically)

Things I've done in the past that are still sitting in the box they were received in: fancy pens, pajamas, flashlights, umbrellas, calendars

I love my mother but she's a pill when it comes to presents. Won't give me any ideas either. She's about to get a flock of chickens from Samaritan's Purse. Actually, as I read back over that, I think this might be the best route. Although, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

For my mother, I'd just put in a bottle of wine (presuming a standard-size stocking) and some Sees dark chocolate covered caramels.

Lotion? The B&BW antibacterial purse pockets?

We're a little practical with stocking stuffers -- been known to give office supplies -- pens and the like. It sounds like she doesn't want a gift card to restaurants, but how about gas or her local grocery store?

Our stockings always have an extra-large orange in the toe as well as a gingerbread man from a local bakery on top -- that takes up a bunch of space.

For my mother, I'd just put in a bottle of wine (presuming a standard-size stocking) and some Sees dark chocolate covered caramels.

Or you can get the little single serving size of liqueurs that they have at the checkout stand of the liquor store.....:goodvibes

If she will use a Cracker Barrel GC then get her one, Andi's Mints, coffee. Does she do crosswords, does she drive? Car Wash GC?

Kae

Does she have any hobbies?

If she knits or crotchets, how about a few skeins of fancier beautiful yarn or a really nice set of needles/hooks?

If she scrapbooks, how about some nice embellishments?

Does she like to garden? You could get her anything from a kneeling pad to nice gardening gloves or new pruning shears. What about a gift certificate for a flower nursery?

My parents love watching & feeding birds at their house so maybe your mother would like a new bird feeder or hummingbird feeder.

Wind chime?

Notecard set?

Pretty hair pins/clips? I know you said no accessories...

Nail polish? Or certificate for manicure or pedicure.

Gourmet tea bags or coffee?

Something for baking/cooking: ceramic pie weights, oven mitts, tea towels, gourmet spices, cutting boards, etc.

Not exactly a "cool" gift, but how about a custom mouse pad since you said she loves her computer. You could put family photos on that if you think she would like it.

I would try and get just a few nicer stocking stuffers rather than random things like a toothbrush, etc.

A nice wine stopper? Glass Christmas ornament? If she travels...leather luggage tag, cosmetic bags...

What about leather driving gloves?

This is my go-to gift for under $50: http://www.potterybarn.com/products...s&cm_src=wall-clocks||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

I would browse the "gift" sections of Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Nordstrom, etc.

How about a gift card to her hair stylist? Or a magazine subscription? How about paying for her newspaper for a while and putting in a card for that?

If she doesn't really like "gifty" things, I'd get her things she would use on an average day like soaps and/or body wash, shampoos, lotions, lip balms, hand sanitizers for her purse, little tissue packets for her purse, etc. Stuff she'd buy normally. Not too fancy, but at least you know she'll use it.

How about a new compact mirror for her purse, or a small nail clipper kit?

New dish towels? Pot holders? Dish cloths? Again, not too exciting, but useful. She sounds like she's the type who wants useful things, not "gifts."

And, if she loves her computer, how about a new mouse pad or an inexpensive PC game? Or even a new wireless mouse? Wipes to clean her screen?

And, if from your kids, why don't you have them make her something? Either a Christmas craft item, or even draw a picture or write her a letter, if they are older. That would be something special from them.

Good luck! I know it's tough when you have someone who doesn't really enjoy the whole "gift" thing.

Coupon books with things from the kids (depending on their ages) coupon good for free housecleaning, pet walking, etc. DD made Christmas angels out of dishtowels one year and they were a hit, you can always use new dishtowels.

The best stocking stuffer I got my dad last year was a apple-shaped apple slicer. He loves it and uses it everyday. I think I paid $2 for it.

Older people tend not to want more stuff. They start to want to give it away.

I'd go with the gift card to her favorite restaurant along with coupons from the grandkids for spending more time with their grandmother.

I let my kids loose at Bed Bath and Beyond (happened to be there) to pick out gift. My oldest DD picked chip clips for one grandpa, a $5 beverage warmer (to set your mug on) for the other grandpa, and fancy magnetic closure notepads with jewels/initial on it for her two grandmothers (for their purses). My youngest DD picked out a magnetic heart-shaped frame to put on the fridge for each grandparent. She put a picture of her and her sister in the frames.

My kids are 7 and 3. With a little guidance, they were able to find things they want to give their grandparents, and they spent around $20 total for all of the gifts listed.

Who doesn't use umbrellas? Is she housebound?

My standard "budget" stocking stuffer for older folks (including those my age; I'm in my 50's) is a couple of pocket magnifying cards. They are dirt cheap and dead handy.

Something else useful is rubber rings for keys; it makes it easier to tell them apart.

Fancy packs of little tissues, scotch tape, candy, hand sanitizer, deck of playing cards - all things I have put in my MIL's stocking. I usually hit up 5 below and find tons of stuff.

Lip balm, razors, shaving foam, have them each make her an ornament (there are plenty of ideas on Pinterest), hair ties if she uses them, and a new toothbrush with toothpaste (sneak a peek in her bathroom for the kind she prefers).
Ask each child one thing they would like to do alone with grandma and give her tickets to use when she would like to "redeem" her special day out with them.
Since she is computer saavy, maybe a Kiva gift card (I know you said she's not into gift cards, but this is different and it is a gift that keeps on giving).

grocery store gift cards
If she drives, gas cards, car wash tickets

2 things I asked my grandkids for were a back scratcher from Dollar Tree & a bath scrunchy also from Dollar Tree. Both would fit in a stocking & I would use both, lol.

How about a can of compressed air? She can use that to blow out her computer keyboard, computer vents, etc.

Would she like some small tools like a set of screw drivers?

Personally, I love it when I get packs of Kleenex for my purse, those individual packets of stain removers, packets of wet ones, etc.

Hah, she sounds like me. I don't need anything and my husband is just dying to buy me something. I asked him to get me a couple of seasons of Castle on DVD (I only had one season). I also asked for the Perfect Tortilla so I can make taco salads. I'm dying for that one and they now sell it in stores (Target, Bed,Bath and Beyond and wherever they sell As Sold on TV).

I do like True Blue Spa from Bath and Body Works, especially the Shower Cream (and I can always us a new shower puff).

How about Netflix so she can watch movies on her computer? I think I pay $7.99 a month for that. We also get them on the TV for that same price through our DVD player.

Order something from Fannie May. They have great candy.

How about a Garden Gnome or Garden Fairy? They have some really cute ones on line, some with solar lighting.

Oh, yeah, I got a Kobalt Double Drive for my birthday this summer because I just wanted one so badly. They sell them at Lowes. Now they also have one with smaller bits for electronic equipment. (It's a screw driver with lots of bits and you can double up the speed of screwing in or out the screw)

Or make a donation in her name to her church or some other organization that she likes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter