Budget has gone "out the window" - which to choose?

Which of these for our family of 5?

• Yacht Club

• Beach Club

• Polynesian

• Two rooms at POR

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would go with the Beach Club. You can't beat the pool and there are some good dining options onsite (Beaches and Cream) and a short walk to the Boardwalk and all of the options for dining there. Also plenty of recreation options with the boat rental at Yacht and Beach and the bike rentals at the Boardwalk.

And if the budget is truly out the window, consider going concierge and you will have access to the lounge and it's "dining" options. When we stayed concierge at Beach Club we were able to avoid having breakfast in the park and was able to have a easy late night snack.

You also have very convenient transportation to both MGM and Epcot. Beach Club is one of my all time favorites.

I have also stayed and the Poly and it was very nice as well so I don't think you can go wrong with the Poly either.

Have fun!!!!
Sunking

JCEMOM have you considered renting points from a DVC owner and staying at a home away from home resort in either a one or two bedroom? You can normally rent points for as little as 10.00 per point and January is the value season so the points required for each night are minimal at that time of year. If you got a one bedroom you could always bring an air mattress and the pull-out sofas are perfect for two of the kids. You would also have a full-size kitchen and a washer and dryer so you wouldn't have to bring as many clothes and if you stay if the same resort both before and after your cruise whatever food you may have could probably kept at the front desk for you while your on your cruise. Have a nice time regardless of what you decide to do. :flower1: :D

dopeyfanatic said:
Well, I haven't stayed at thoae hotels so I can't vote, but this is what I think... the Deluxe rooms are not THAT much larger, but the beds are...

Well, not quite accurate! Depends on which deluxe you stay :) Some of the Poly rooms are huge and CR & GF have some very large rooms as well.

BC/YC/AKL/WL rooms are not all that large, but bigger than a moderate. Although CBR has larger rooms than the other moderates :)

www.allearsnet.com :
Moderate Resorts:
Caribbean Beach - 340
Coronado Springs - 314
Port Orleans French Quarter - 314
Port Orleans Riverside - 314
Deluxe Resorts:
Wilderness Lodge - 340
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 344
Beach Club - 380
Yacht Club - 380
BoardWalk Inn - 380
Grand Floridian - 400
Polynesian - 409 (new longhouses are 452 - info from Tikiman site)
Contemporary - 422

Hope this helps! Forget to mention before that the rooms at CBR are larger - it's also a great resort, handy to EPCOT & MGM. :)

Have you seen this site for the Poly?
http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/index.html

Thanks for the info...BIG help! :flower1: I'm going to check out tikiman's site now!

Just a hint to help - Tokelau,Tahiti & Rapa Nui are the longhouses with the largest rooms. My personal fav is Tokelau :) It is centrally located, at quiet pool, short walk to TTC as well as Volcano Pool and GCH.

Enjoy the planning wherever you stay! This is even fun for me!!! :flower1:

Thank you! I'm still on tikiman's site and was just thinking that Tokelau might be the one I requested, LOL. I'm learning some things about the Poly I didn't know. His site is terrific, lots of info there. I didn't realize how beautiful the Poly really was. I've only seen it from the monorail and kind of thought it looked a bit 70's with the oranges and browns, lol. I guess I need to look at more pics!

I've got more "work" to do I think. Too bad "real work" isn't this much fun! :flower1:

I love the Yacht and Beach Club. IMO you can't go wrong there! Your boys will especially love it. I also think it is wonderful to be able to get out and walk into Epcot or walk around the Boardwalk. There are so many restaurants and things to do there. I have become an Epcot Resort addict. Second choice would be the Poly on the monorail. I would skip Port Orleans. Personally I don't like the pool there( although two bathrooms anywhere would be nice:) Stormalong Bay is just so much better. You will also spend too much time getting on and off of buses. There is more to do in the Epcot Resort area. Your boys including the oldest (DH) might enjoy a lunch or dinner at ESPN Sports on the Boardwalk.

Another idea that would be a lot of fun is to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club for the beginning of your trip and then go to the Poly after your cruise for the last leg of your trip. Both are great hotels. Let us know what you decide. :earboy2: :earboy2: :earboy2:

jcemom said:
I've got more "work" to do I think. Too bad "real work" isn't this much fun! :flower1:

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: :flower1:

Keep us posted on how it goes and what you eventually choose! I'm excited for and with you!!

I would do POR since you are on a budget. Why waste the extra money?? Staying at POR also gives you access to POFQ's pools and ammenities as well so it's kind of like getting two resorts for one.

BaciBecky said:
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: :flower1:

Keep us posted on how it goes and what you eventually choose! I'm excited for and with you!!
Yes, I will, thank you. Everyone has been SO helpful! I really appreciate all the advice!

Boardwalk Tigger, I thought of splitting it up, since we have to check in twice anyway. Then I thought that spending all the time at one resort would really give us more time to enjoy what they have to offer, instead of trying to squeeze everything into a couple of days in each place. I'm also a bit worried that everyone would like the "first" resort better than the "second" one, LOL. :rolleyes:

cavecricket, we absolutely loved AKL, but want to try somewhere new this time!

Here are my thoughts so far:

Poly:
+ great location, easy access to great restaurants, monorail, seeing MK/Wishes from the beach, looks nice and tropical
- no jacuzzi, most expensive of the four choices

POR:
+ least expensive of the four choices, two bathrooms and tvs, four beds vs three, boat to Downtown Disney
- buses to everwhere else, pool has the least "wow factor," double beds instead of queen

YC/BC:
+ great location, great restaurants, seeing the Epcot "ball" from the resort...SAB of course (that's a tough one to beat, lol)
- long boat ride to MGM, bus to MK, least amount of room space of all the choices, SAB (kids might not want to go to the parks at all, ruining my "plans" LOL)

*Though BC has more votes than YC, I think the looks of YC appeal more to me. I'm wondering why so many more people chose BC...anyone know?*

My family prefers YC/BC over poly, but I don't have a little one and Stormalong Bay is BIG. We also enjoy the many hot tubs there -- remember Poly doesn't have one.

We also like the deluxe amenities (mainly pool and park proximity) even better than having two bathrooms and lots of beds. If a good pool is a priority, don't forget that CS has a better pool than POR.

I must have been replying when you did!

I would not consider the boat ride to MGM from YC/BC to be long. It's easy transportation that's more comfortable than the bus. You also can walk in about 20 minutes, if you prefer.

We prefer YC over BC. I'm always amazed when people describe it as "dark." They have to be people who've never been in one of the rooms, which have WHITE furniture!

Looking at the pictures, that's what I liked...the white furniture and navy linens. It looks so crisp and clean to me, what I envision in a "proper" New England cottage (though I've never been there, so wouldn't really know). The Beach Club decor looks okay, but it's SO pastel, LOL. I'm not a big fan of pastels.

I didn't think of walking to MGM. Maybe we could walk in the morning when we're raring to go, and take the boat back after we've used up all our energy, LOL.

This is really a tough decision, unless I'm making it more difficult than it need be (I've been known to do that...analyze things to death). :rolleyes: It's certainly a fun decision that I'm happy to have the priviledge of making, but tough.

I would do the split--Beach Club before your cruise and the Poly after it. That way, you could concentrate on MGM/Epcot the first three days and MK the last 3. If you don't want to split, I'd probably pick Beach Club over the Poly. The Poly would be great for just a land trip, but since you're doing land/sea the Beach Club is more appealing. You'll have enough of the real tropics on your cruise.

I would still consider the split too since you have to check in twice anyway. It would be the best of both worlds. I also think it would give you all something to look forward too. I would go to the Yacht/ BC first and then do the Poly at the end. You will have alot more energy in the beginning and it is soooooooo nice there. If I had to chose then I would pick Yacht Club / BC. I love the Yacht Club by the way and have stayed at the BC many times too. The benefits of the Yacht Club is that you will almost definitely get a balcony( BC doesn't always give you a full balcony), The rooms seem to be bigger because at the BC you can get a dormer room( I had one at BC concierge and it was so much smaller than a regular room that DH agreed to buy into the BCV). There are more rooms with great views including the Epcot fireworks. The rooms themselves are NOT dark. People are referring to the Lobby. The Yacht Club lobby is darker with a nautical feel. There is leather furniture and wood floors and darker colors. The BC lobby is lighter with a seaside theme. You are going to have a great time :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

I think it's pretty good decision to go with either the Beach Club (for the pool for the kids and convience to the resorts and Boardwalk) or the Poly (for the atmosphere and convenience to the parks).

jcemom said:
*Though BC has more votes than YC, I think the looks of YC appeal more to me. I'm wondering why so many more people chose BC...anyone know?*

I like YC over BC (although we stayed at BC), so I understand. If you go with either BC or YC be very careful about one type of room - they have some rooms (standard view) which overlook a rooftop that has white gravel. You cannot open the drapes because with or without sun it is blinding! Others have posted about this as well. These rooms have full balconies. It was so bad we asked to change rooms, even tho it was mid July they found us a room with a small balcony (room enough for just one chair), but a much better view and location.

I know the BC and YC are popular but I've always found them kind of stuffy (and yet GF was not stuffy at all!)...and the walk from one resort to the other is forever!! And you cannot walk inside you must go outside. Beaches and Cream is always so darn crowded too! The only positive for me is the pool area and the walk to EPCOT - which will not be more then 10+ mins from YC (BC is closer and depending on where could be as little as about 4-5 mins from International Gateway).

Remember, you can walk to MGM as well - it's a hike, but a nice one!

But I admit;) I am partial to the Poly - it's just so darn easy to get around from there and truly, there is something so magical about being on the monorial and so close to the MK. My kids always loved it there - and all their friends as well. Through the yrs we traveled with 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, & 17 yr olds and all of them raved about the resort. You feel you're a million miles away from real life there...and becasue you never need a car, it's a step back from day to day stress and reality. And the rooms are so large...sigh...;)

Gosh, think I need a few days at the Poly!!! LOL I absolutely would not want to influence you too much because you need to go with what feels right..and when you look at all the photos, which one continues to be the biggest draw? Go with that one!

Wherever you chose, it will be wonderful! I'm not a resort hopper because I like to settle in and relax for the long haul :)

:wave:

I think I might be leaning towards the Poly at this point. Though I've always thought I would prefer the YC, I'm thinking it may be better to "save it" for when we go during a warmer month. (I would like to make a May trip sometime within the next couple of years, for the Flower and Garden Festival, so that might be better for YC.) I would really hate to stay there and not be able to swim if it's too cold! :guilty:

I've decided to visit the Poly when I go next month, since I'll be at WL anyway. That should decide it for me, I think. I will either like it or I won't! I've been told I have to get some tropical concoction from the Lounge, so I will do that, stroll around, check out the beach, take a look at the pool, and just soak up the atmosphere. I'm hoping to take a quick peek around the YC too, since we'll be doing an Illuminations Cruise...though I can tell just from the pics that I will love it!

If I'm going to try out every resort I'm interested in, I'm going to need to plan plenty of trips, lol...then I'll need to revisit my favorites of course. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter