Brother Bear Reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwguide

Ex Guide Book Author
Well, the first Brother Bear reviews are coming in, and they sure don't look pretty. Those collected on Rottentomatoes.com give it an average rating of 4.8/10, and just 5 out of 23 reviews thus far are positive. They seem to agree that the film is way too generic and derived, which is exactly what I was thinking would happen.
I wonder what will happen if this film bombs... I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing these types of animated films altogether for a while.

It's good family fun!

What not enough T & A for them!:rolleyes: They can't handle an actual storyline! Actually having something to teach!

It's about time Disney went back to their roots!

my2cw!

Scratch
pirate:

Ah movie reviews through the eyes of a snowglobe!

I'll take the family out to see this...but I'm not holding out a ton of hope from the comercials I've seen....

Any idea why Disney has left the formula of having CHARACTERS sing? Why do we have Phil Collins singing background all of a sudden?!? I think Mulan is the last one that actually had characters singing. They really need to get back to that. Atlantis had a really good story, but I'm positive that it's the lack of music that kept it from doing well in the theatre.....any opinions/ideas?

Ebert and Roeper gave it tow thumbs up last night on tv. They said most people won't get the spiritual aspect of it, but it was a great movie.

Maybe that will give it a boost...

In any case, Scary Movie 3 just made almost $50 million this weekend. If BB bombs it shouldn't hurt the studio too bad with all the big hits they've had this year. And with the Lion King, Nemo, and Pirates DVD releases they'll make a ton of $$$ as well.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Scary Movie 3 is a Disney flick ??

Miramax, which is a part of Disney.

Other films in the current top 10 and falling under Disney's reach are Kill Bill (Miramax) and Under the Tuscan Sun (Buena Vista).

Sam

Where does Dimension fit in ?? That's who Boxofficemojo shows as the distributor. Is Dim just another Disney subsidiary ?

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Where does Dimension fit in ?? That's who Boxofficemojo shows as the distributor. Is Dim just another Disney subsidiary ?

Not sure what Dimension's relationship is to Disney, though I see their website points directly to Miramax, so I would suppose it's another company under Disney's or Miramax's ownership.

Sam

Scratch42, rottentomatoes is merely a collection of all the major movie reviewers' reviews. It really has nothing to do with the amount of T&A in a movie. Right now Brother Bear has a rating of 22% positive reviews, which is very low. It will possibly rise as more reviews come in, but maybe not.

Some recent Disney and Pixar comparisons:

Finding Nemo 99% positive
Lilo & Stitch 85%
Treasure Planet 73%
Monsters, Inc. 94%
Toy Story II 100%
Emporer's New Groove 82%
Fantasia 2000 86%
Tarzan 89%
Mulan 95%

Some other not so recent:

Little Mermaid 94%
Beauty and the Beast 93%
Aladdin 95%
Lion King 90%
Hunchback 77%
Hercules 89%

Not too much T&A in those if I remember correctly.

A few lower scoring:

Pocahontas 58%
Atlantis 49%

Not as bad as 22%, though. Even Gawdawful Sinbad garnered a 46%. I sure hope this film turns out to be better than that - and that the ratings improve.

Wow, those numbers are bad! And to be bluntly honest, the ads have given me a "been there done that" feeling.

However I still have hope for this film in spite of Rotten Tomatoes and those ads. But then what do I know, I liked Sinbad and have defended it ad nauseum. ;)

I'm not surprised at all. It looks like a crappy movie. Nothing original. Looks like the Lion King in British Columbia.

Do you really think it looks CRAPPY?

I think it looks fairly sweet. It's a new generation Lion King (Though it doesn't really seem to have a close story line) I think it will do fine. (I know, fine is relative)

I'm reserving judgement until I see it.

I saw it on Saturday, and I liked it very much. Koda does sing in this film as well. For the first time since Lion King I felt they really got it right, great animation, a good story line, perfect comedy relief and music. Similiar to the Lion King in the spiritual aspects, but really not TLK. See it for yourself before you pass judgment.

Dimension is a division of Miramax.

Originally posted by HB2K
Ah movie reviews through the eyes of a snowglobe!

That's right, keep putting other posters down, that's what we need more of here.

Originally posted by jlambrig
Dimension is a division of Miramax.

That's right, keep putting other posters down, that's what we need more of here.

Hey how about the original poster's suggestion (or name calling) that the reviews at RottenTomatoes have no idea what they're talking about and they're just upset since the movie has no T&A?

It cuts both ways.

Hey how about the original poster's suggestion (or name calling) that the reviews at RottenTomatoes have no idea what they're talking about and they're just upset since the movie has no T&A?
Hmm.......a silly knock on an unknowing insulated group of reviewers who will never take place in a discussion on this site.............................vs. a direct response and put down to someone who is part of this community and expressed an opinion in this anaonymous, though much less insulated, forum after seeing the movie. Sorry HB, I thought your comment was shi**y and uncalled for :(.

Kidds, exactly my sentiment.

Perhaps BB will be the same type of lousy bomb that POC turned out to be...Would that change anybodys opinion on Disney's abilities either? Nah. pirate:

When posters tell us to disregard a well known movie review source because it's not saying something that fits into their lemming view of the Disney company will generate the same response from me every time.

I've been issued put downs here MANY times...to the point that I was publicly told to go away.

Telling someone their view is QUITE biased isn't anything new around here....some people just don't like it when the tables are turned....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter