Broken rib - 25 days to go - what to avoid

BkrsLoveDis!

Mouseketeer
I have a broken rib and my trip is less than a month away. What rides should I avoid? And what happens if I just go rogue and ride one (like FOP) anyway. Thanks guys!

I would ask your doctor, especially if it still hurts in 2-3 weeks when you cough, sneeze or laugh. There's too many variables for anyone here to really provide advice based on similar experience - is it just one rib, broken or cracked, upper or lower, left or right, internal organs affected, etc.

Avoiding any jarring rides that would place a strain on your upper torso is probably a given, but depending on your sense of humor even something like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor could present a problem.

Last edited:
My husband fell off a ladder and broke 3 ribs shortly before we went to Disney years ago. I don't recall he avoided anything, but was sure in some pain on some rides.

I would say ones that bump around. Btmr, Everest, Space, dinosaur, primeval worl are the few that come to mind. It prob won’t do any damage but it will hurt.

I would be careful of any ride with a lap bar. I always try to remember to brace myself for when a ride stops - multiple times - before unloading. But, I invariably forget at least once a trip and get that awful 'oomph' when you slam your yourself against the restraints on the short stops. 7DMT, BTMRR TSMM (and that is very jarring the whole ride, when it makes very abrupt turns) and EE are some of the worst. Primeval Whirl is a killer even without back or rib problems.

And if you have a bad navigator on Buzz it can really jar you too!!

My brother in law broke a couple ribs a month before our trip. He did not go on Dinosaur, Space Mountain, Savannah ride, Big Thunder Mountain and Star Tours.

I have a broken rib and my trip is less than a month away. What rides should I avoid? And what happens if I just go rogue and ride one (like FOP) anyway. Thanks guys!

Have you ridden FOP yet? I don't think I'd try it with a broken rib, personally. You lean forward so that a significant amount of your upper body weight is against your ribcage, and the restraint can be pretty snug. It was tight enough on me that taking a deep breath would be difficult. I don't want to imply that normal breathing was restricted - it wasn't - but I could feel the pressure of the restraint. And then there's the movement on top of that. It's pretty smooth, but there are parts where you are meant to feel as though you're suddenly pulling upwards (or sideways), and that will put more pressure directly on that ribcage.

I'm not sure you'd do any further damage (but then I'm not sure you wouldn't either; I'm not a doctor and not in possession of full details), but it's not going to be much fun if you're in agonizing pain the whole time. You're the only one who can really have any idea how much it might hurt, but if (for example) you're not able to lie face-down on the floor without feeling pain, I think avoiding FOP would be an easy call.

Sorry about your injury!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter