Breakfast or dinner at Chef Mickey's?

jat1977

Earning My Ears
Just booked our trip and was able to snag some breakfast and dinner slots for CM. Haven't eaten there before so I was wondering whether either menu was more preferable?

Breakfast. Because it's hard to screw up breakfast food.

Dinner at CMs is plain awful. I get that people go for the characters. But dinner is noisy, chaotic and the buffet line can get gawdawful messy. And the food quality is probably the lowest of all the buffets ( although it may be tied with H&V).

Dinner at CMs is plain awful. I get that people go for the characters. But dinner is noisy, chaotic and the buffet line can get gawdawful messy. And the food quality is probably the lowest of all the buffets ( although it may be tied with H&V).

Yikes! Yes, it will mostly be for the character experience for the kids, but we also want it to be enjoyable. Thanks for the tip!

For me I'd really say neither, but breakfast would be the lesser of two evils because it is at least below average to somewhat average in food quality. But still rather noisy and in my experience chaotic and they still had issues with keeping up with the buffet station.

Dinner. "Forget About It." The most absolutely, pathetic, most unpleasant dining experience I have ever had the misfortune of trying. The food was below average to disgusting. The buffet station was filthy, often empty and poorly kept up with and the food was the worst in WDW, even beating out ABC Commissary as my personal worst. Never again, even if this place was free and offered me unlimited FP+ access to 7DMT, SM, RnRc, TSM and Anna & Elsa Meet and Greet. :rotfl2:

(Not even Mickey, Goofy and friends could make this place worth it to visit).

Breakfast

For me I'd really say neither, but breakfast would be the lesser of two evils because it is at least below average to somewhat average in food quality. But still rather noisy and in my experience chaotic and they still had issues with keeping up with the buffet station.

Dinner. "Forget About It." The most absolutely, pathetic, most unpleasant dining experience I have ever had the misfortune of trying. The food was below average to disgusting. The buffet station was filthy, often empty and poorly kept up with and the food was the worst in WDW, even beating out ABC Commissary as my personal worst. Never again, even if this place was free and offered me unlimited FP+ access to 7DMT, SM, RnRc, TSM and Anna & Elsa Meet and Greet. :rotfl2:

(Not even Mickey, Goofy and friends could make this place worth it to visit).

Ok, sounds like dinner is a DEFINITE no! Thanks everyone!

How is this possible at the prices they are charging? Who is managing this place????

Answer:: :jester:

Chef Mickey: (incl tax, excl tip)
bfast . . . 05/07/2015 Adult: $40.46, Child: $24.49
lunch . . . 05/31/2015 Adult: $40.46, Child: $21.29 (Seasonal & During Free Dining)
l-easter. . 03/27/2016 Adult: $42.59, Child: $23.42
dinner. . . 05/07/2015 Adult: $50.05, Child: $21.81
d-tgiving . 11/26/2015 Adult: $53.24, Child: $31.94

My adult Disney loving son wanted to go here last trip and I just flat out said "no, it is bad". Killin' the magic but I don't care.

I agree. If we go to Chef Mickey's, it is for breakfast only. We did not enjoy dinner there at all.

CM dinner was DH's favorite meal on our trip last August. It was the only one he said we HAD to do again. We are used to eating early, though, and we were one of the first tables seated for dinner. Everything was immaculate, there was absolutely no chaos and the food was terrific.

All 4 of us really enjoyed Chef Mickey Dinner last trip. We waited a bit for the table, the food wasn't gourmet, but was what you'd expect at a buffet.

I have never had a bad experience at dinner. I have always enjoyed it. I even went solo once.

We did a brunch, the buffet area was messy. Food on the floor, etc.

Food was average for a buffet.

We would repeat but earlier in the morning the better would be my guess.

We have eaten there 3x: 2x for dinner and 1x for breakfast, last trip- vowed never again. Breakfast was insane, gross, overpriced, service was bad, food was cold or missing from buffet (cream cheese and pancakes were not replenished for 45 min)- but character interaction was good. Dinner has been miles better beyond breakfast. It also, after doing a breakfast, is much less chaotic. Will it blow your mind? No. Will you find something for everyone to eat and enjoy? Yes. Will it be your best meal on property? No. Sadly, we go back- its our sons FAV place to eat- and he LOVES that desert bar and the napkin waving. We try to get it done earlier in the trip so we have plenty of amazing meals after.

We did a brunch, the buffet area was messy. Food on the floor, etc.

Food was average for a buffet.

We would repeat but earlier in the morning the better would be my guess.

We were there pretty early ourselves at 7:15 am and it was still pretty miserable with a messy buffet area, not replenished and food on the floor... :sad2:

My general philosophy about character meals is to go for breakfast only (even if on a dining plan and especially if on the deluxe plan).

As others have noted, it's harder to screw up breakfast.

Plus, there's a lower opportunity cost to doing character meals for breakfast as opposed to lunch or dinner because there are so many better choices for those meals.

Based on that philosophy, we have only done Chef Mickey's for breakfast. As far as food went, I thought it was about average for a character breakfast (had most of the same standard stuff that you see at most character breakfasts). And while the atmosphere of the restaurant is nothing to write home about (feels somewhat like an airport food court), it's the only place that gets the Fab 5.

Tusker House is probably our favorite character breakfast. But we found Chef Mickey's to be decent and would return. But only for breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!