Bread Pudding - Refrigerate?

storzo

DIS Veteran
I just made a bread pudding, 1st time. Recipe said to let cool for 10 minutes, but nothing after. Do I cover and leave out or should I refrigerate? Thanks.

I would guess that you would refridgerate it after it finishes cooling initially. But you could serve it while still warm. Try googling a few recipes and see what they say. I've been meaning to make bread pudding. I never have though. My DH loves it!

I would guess that you would refridgerate it after it finishes cooling initially. But you could serve it while still warm. Try googling a few recipes and see what they say. I've been meaning to make bread pudding. I never have though. My DH loves it!

Thanks. I was thinking refrigerate, but I did eat it warm and it was good so I wasn't sure.

This was an easy recipe, it might even be some kind of short cut bread pudding, but it sounded good so I tried it. If you are interested:

2 small boxes cook and serve vanilla pudding
1 quart milk
4 chocolate croissants

Heat oven to 350.
Whisk pudding and milk in large bowl 2 minutes or until well blended.
Cut croissants into 1 inch pieces and place into shallow baking dish.
Pour pudding mix over croissants, pushing pieces into liquid.
Bake 50 minutes or until edges are bubbling and knife inserted comes out clean.

It actually took me closer to 80 minutes and 50 but tasted good.

Definitely refrigerate to store.

You can eat cold or heat to eat. I personally don't like bread pudding, so I can't tell you which way is better!

Kimya

I think traditionally it's served warm. So I would nuke leftovers. But if you like it cold go for it! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the recipe. That does look easy.

Mm. That recipe sounds good but we don't have chocolate croissants. I couldn't say which is better - cold or reheated. Most puddings are served cold so maybe cold?

I have only had warm bread pudding once in my life and it was gross- we only eat it cold.

Refrigerate, but warm before serving.

OT-Has anyone tried Paula Deen's choc. bread pudding? OMG--it is awesome.

Chocolate Bread Pudding
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1-pound loaf French or Italian bread, cut into cubes (about 15 cups)
3 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place the bread in the baking dish.

In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, and liqueur.

In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.

Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a knife inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean. Serving the pudding warm, or refrigerate it and serve chilled. Cover w/ cream sauce

Cream Sauce

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Water, to dissolve cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat heavy cream, Irish cream liqueur and sugar. Mix cornstarch with about 1 tablespoon of water. Stir into the cream mixture and heat until thickened. Add vanilla. Serve over bread pudding.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

3 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder

In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.

Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a knife inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean. Serving the pudding warm, or refrigerate it and serve chilled. Cover w/ cream sauce

Cream Sauce

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Heat heavy cream, Irish cream liqueur and sugar. Mix cornstarch with about 1 tablespoon of water. Stir into the cream mixture and heat until thickened. Add vanilla. Serve over bread pudding.

This sounds good. Since I was able to complete the simple recipe I posted above, I'll have to take on this!

This sounds good. Since I was able to complete the simple recipe I posted above, I'll have to take on this!

Its really not too hard--Just a lot of ingredients. Also, when you bake it, cover it for a while-It gets a little too crispy on top if you don't.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

I was going to post this if no one else did. We had this at Christmas, and oh WOW was it delicious!!!!!!

If there's milk, butter or eggs in it, definitely refrigerate it.

I agree that it should be refrigerated, but not based on this information. Some cakes have milk, eggs and butter, but I've never put those in a refrigerator. Just something about bread pudding that I always have.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

3 cups milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Cream Sauce

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Yum! I don't want apple pie anymore, now I want bread pudding! :yay:

the paula dean recipie looks pretty good but i prefer the type that is baked in a double boiler manner (one casserole dish inside another that has water in it)-the result in a much more custardy like pudding.

but then, i also like the jack daniels sauce we make for ours as well:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter