Brand New looking at DVC

Salf777

Mouseketeer
Hi we live in south Florida and generally do Disney at least once a year. Mainly stay 3-4 nights. Prefer staying at the Grand Floridian. With the average room rate so high lately we are considering buying a DVC. I figure 75-100 points would suffice. I’m guesssing I would have to go resale from what I have read
My main question is should I buy at Grand Floridian? If all the properties have the same value per point why wouldn’t I buy a cheaper resort and use the points every time for the Grand Floridian?
Apologies if this is a silly question. It’s just me and my wife and are flexible so we can go at anytime we want. Any input truly appreciated

Buy where you want to stay. It can be challenging to get 3-4 days in a row at the 7 month mark for the room type and specific dates. If you love the GF, buy there to guarantee your stays

To book DVC 11 months out you must own points at that resort.

All points can book a unit at 7 months. But owners at that resort have a 4 month head start and availability can be limited or none.

VGF is the smallest DVC in Florida, and there are only 47 studios. It can be very difficult to book at 7 months or later.

In general, if you are looking at DVC you need to be thinking in terms of booking 11 months out for VGF, or at 7 months. Booking short term is typically very difficult unless you are very flexible about splitting stays, unit types, and resort. I certainly would never count on VGF studios inside of 7 months in normal times.

Get the phone app, "DVC Calculator". That will give you the best tool for determining how many points you will want. You will hear this a lot, buy where you want to stay. Reason being, you can book your home resort at 11 months out, and can book anywhere else at 7 months IF it is available. If you bought at Saratoga** because it is cheaper, yes, you could book there at 11 months then potentially switch to GFV at 7 months, but don't bank on it. If you are happy staying at Saratoga, then fine, that is not a bad way to go. Rememebr that GFV points charts are higher than most other resorts. If you cannot or will not book 11 months out, just buy Saratoga, as you will have the best luck booking inside 7 months there anyway and it is cheaper.

** Nothing wrong with Saratoga, some people love it, just using it as an example as it is the cheapest and has the best availability

Studios at VGF are hard to get at the 7 month mark. If you want to stay at VGF, buy VGF. The Poly has nice studios too and the price is a little less than VGF.

Have you stayed in the DVC side before? Its supposed to be really nice but it will likely be different.
Have stayed at the hotel not the DVC side. Do you think we won’t enjoy it as much since we have only stayed on the hotel side?

Have stayed at the hotel not the DVC side. Do you think we won’t enjoy it as much since we have only stayed on the hotel side?

Oh I am not saying that I just know its going to be slightly different. VGF is supposed to be one of the nicest DVC there is.

Its just the small things like no daily house keeping, only that one building option towards POLY, not getting refurbed as often. You still are at that resort, walking on the grounds, and have access to everything. The room layouts will be different as well which you can find youtube videos on for walk throughs.

I just didn't know how much research you had done.

Oh I am not saying that I just know its going to be slightly different. VGF is supposed to be one of the nicest DVC there is.

Its just the small things like no daily house keeping, only that one building option towards POLY, not getting refurbed as often. You still are at that resort, walking on the grounds, and have access to everything. The room layouts will be different as well which you can find youtube videos on for walk throughs.

I just didn't know how much research you had done.
I have just started researching so thank you for this. I will look on YouTube and watch. All this is new to me so the insight is greatly appreciated. Anything else you can share is welcome. I have never stayed in one. We are goi g the GF again in November and after I looked at what I was paying for a four night stay I figured I may as well look into it. Based on what I am paying for this trip I could buy 100 points and it’s like paying for 4-5 years up front (Based on prices I am seeing on a few sites no serious inquires yet) after that anytime I go basically costs just the annual maintenance. Am I looking at this properly?

I have just started researching so thank you for this. I will look on YouTube and watch. All this is new to me so the insight is greatly appreciated. Anything else you can share is welcome. I have never stayed in one. We are goi g the GF again in November and after I looked at what I was paying for a four night stay I figured I may as well look into it. Based on what I am paying for this trip I could buy 100 points and it’s like paying for 4-5 years up front (Based on prices I am seeing on a few sites no serious inquires yet) after that anytime I go basically costs just the annual maintenance. Am I looking at this properly?

Figure out how many points you will need for your stays (points charts or go to dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp)

When you buy the points you have that large upfront cost. After that every year you pay the MFs (regardless of what you do with the points).

After so many years (2064) the contract ends and you are left with memories.

Take a look at the points charts. 75-100 pts goes quite a bit further at BCV than VGF, for example. Also, lowest point times book first so plan for a little flexibility there. Def buy where you are happy to stay.

If the difference in the room layout is ok then I think you'll probably like it. GF has outer buildings which makes the DVC there fairly comparable. There's also the DVC difference of no daily cleanings. I actually like the VGF better than the GF hotel rooms. Parking is close and the pool is right there. It's a longer walk to Gasparilla but not too different to get to the main building than several outer buildings.

You do understand that you will be booking the studios 8-11 months in advance in most cases.

One of the key things is buy where you want to stay. Dont buy SSR if you only want to stay at VGF
So if you prefer VGF then buy there.

At least you an book 11 months out.

I own 3 contracts for BLT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter