Boycotting the Oscars

The thing is there are different races and race blind casting would matter in some movies. I don't think it makes sense to ignore race when a movie is made about an historical figure or event. Can you imagine the outcry and complaints if a major white actor was cast as Martin Luther King, Jr. in a big biopic movie of his life?

As far as this year goes, a lot of the Oscar buzz centers around The Revenant. Most critics think it is going to win best picture and diCaprio for best actor. That movie is about a real life man and the mostly true story of beaver trappers in the upper west in the early 1800s. I don't think any minorities were present there except for Indians. Maybe they should be complaining about the lack of Oscar nominations for their race.

The thing is there are different races and race blind casting would matter in some movies. I don't think it makes sense to ignore race when a movie is made about an historical figure or event. Can you imagine the outcry and complaints if a major white actor was cast as Martin Luther King, Jr. in a big biopic movie of his life?

As far as this year goes, a lot of the Oscar buzz centers around The Revenant. Most critics think it is going to win best picture and diCaprio for best actor. That movie is about a real life man and the mostly true story of beaver trappers in the upper west in the early 1800s. I don't think any minorities were present there except for Indians. Maybe they should be complaining about the lack of Oscar nominations for their race.

Yes, there is a point for that but there are some people this year who probably should have gotten nominated but didn't. This year in particular was not due to the lack of roles for people of color but more about the lack of nominations.

Kind of a side note. I don't know about the time of Hugh Glass & Jim Bridger, but in later years there were a LOT of black cowboys. And that is something you don't see a lot of on film.

It wasn't like the field didn't have a good movie this year with people of color in major roles so there is no reason that every nominee for best actor is white.

Honest question because we havent seen alot of movies recently. Do you honestly think that any of the actors of colour that people are discussing deserve to be on the list more than those on it? Because that I guess is the real question, not did Will Smith do a good enough job that he deserves to be recognize but did he do better than another actor that they did include?

Not really a fan of hers, and didn't see the movie, but last year most critics thought Jennifer Aniston's performance for Cake was Oscar-worthy, but she wasn't even nominated.

And this year there's talk about Leonardo DiCaprio (also not very familiar with his work, nor a fan) finally getting a nod, having been passed by for many of his past performances.

Probably in the history of the Academy Awards, many people have been passed over. Most just hang in there and continue to try to do their best work, regardless of what the Academy thinks.

There will always be Oscar crimes. Every single year since Leonardo DiCaprio was robbed (ROBBED, I SAY!) of Best Supporting Actor in 1994 and lost to Tommy Lee Jones, who was playing the same character yet again, I vent about it when the Oscars roll around. It's become an annual tradition for my husband to listen to me go on (briefly) about how LD was cheated of an Oscar that he clearly deserved for What's Eating Gilbert Grape? and lost to TLJ, whom I like just fine, but who was playing the same character he's played 100 times, while LD turned in an amazing performance at an incredibly young age. You get the picture. If I ever skip my yearly rant, my DH would think something was wrong with me.

And yes, Jennifer Aniston amazed me in Cake. I did not think she had such a performance in her. I believe she deserved a nomination, but none came her way. I'm sure she was disappointed, but she didn't pitch a fit.

There was a big stink recently when Sylvester Stallone won a Golden Globe for BSA for Creed. He was clearly stunned and thanked his family and the character of Rocky, but forgot to thank his (Black) director and co-star. After he left the stage, he realized what he had done and came back onstage to thank them, but this was not televised. He also did the media thing to thank them, but he was heavily criticized by many Black celebrities, who seemed to think it was nearly unforgiveable to fail to thank the director and co-star. Stallone was stunned to have won. He failed to give a lengthy, perfect acceptance speech and he left some people out. It happens all the time. People forget to thank their spouses for their support!

It pains me to say it, but had the director been White, there wouldn't have been the scathing criticism of Stallone about forgetting to thank him by mostly Black celebrities/entertainters. He would have been allowed to thank him a few minutes later, as he did. People forget, it was STALLONE'S win. I only hope the stink of this doesn't taint his chances at the Oscar for BSA. A lot of people are complaining that Michael B. Jordan wasn't nominated for Best Actor, but Stallone was nominated for BSA. To be blunt, Jordan did a good job, but I believe any number of actors could have done as well. DH and I both remember the actress who played his girlfriend more. She made more of an impression. However, the ONE person this film could not have done without was Stallone. Take him out and you have next to nothing. Just another boxing movie. People who are not old enough do not remember that Stallone created Rocky. He did not just act the part, he wrote it. He actually created Rocky. To be able to act that role over 40 years and show the character aging physically and emotionally, the losses he's suffered, to make the audience emotionally invested in him after decades is impressive. Stallone has done a lot of action movie drivel in is life, but if he'd never done anything besides "Rocky" he could hold his head high. I'm crossing my fingers for a win.

Sadly, it looks as if the Oscars are headed to a quota system.

She was actually the first black actress to win the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama series. That was in 2015. She does not have an Oscar.

And I actually thought she should not have won. I think Tatiana Maslany totally deserved the Emmy in 2015.

I see mostly white people in my local theatre because the suburb I live in is 96.73% white. I wonder what would happen if I went to a theatre somewhere else.

If you came to my area, you would see a lot of Indian and Asian people due to the demographics in our neighbourhood. I agree it depends on where you live.

Honest question because we havent seen alot of movies recently. Do you honestly think that any of the actors of colour that people are discussing deserve to be on the list more than those on it? Because that I guess is the real question, not did Will Smith do a good enough job that he deserves to be recognize but did he do better than another actor that they did include?

I didn't see every movie so for full disclosure I asked my fiance since he did. He personally believes that for lead Michael B. Jordan should have been nominated over Brian Cranston or Eddie Redmayne. Both me he thought gave exceptional performances but he thought Michael B. Jordan's was more worthy. For lead he does believe Leo will win no matter who was nominated as that seems to be where things are going. He doesn't believe Leo should win as he thinks Fassbender did a better job and it should have been between Fassbender and Jordan but Jordan wasn't nominated and it looks like Leo is going to win no matter what. For supporting he personally would have put Oscar Issac from Ex Machina and Jason Mitchell from Straight Outta Compton in over Tom Hardy or Christian Bale.

And I actually thought she should not have won. I think Tatiana Maslany totally deserved the Emmy in 2015.

Oh that was such a hard choice! I think both were deserving and it was a big year for female lead. I was on team Tatiana but not upset that Viola won.

I don't get it. Are they asking to be recognized by the acacemy because of their race? I would certainly prefer to have people recognized by the academy for their merit regardless of the color of their skin.

There is no such thing as "merit" in the academy awards. There never has been, and never will be. Some objective standard of merit is mythical. When a movie like Crash, gets an Oscar and some of the voters refused to even watch another nominated movie because of its subject matter any pretense that they're decided on some objective standard of merit is out the window. Personal tastes and bias on the part of the voters has always been a part of the Oscars and still are.
So as we have shown that these decisions are not made on any objective standard of merit, therefore we cannot conclude and it is disproven that those left out necessarily lacked said merit on any objective basis.
Nominations and awards are handed out according to the tastes of the academy. Nothing more. And those aren't objective in the least and are subject to bias.
Just look at Creed. The idea that Sylvester Stallone is worthy of an Oscar nomination but Creed's director and the guy that played Creed aren't by some sort of unbiased and objective standard of merit is pure folly.

I will not be boycotting. One can't very well boycott something one doesn't watch or participate in anyway.

Amongst all he "White Privlledge," perhaps there will be a Sacheen Littlefeather moment.

There is no such thing as "merit" in the academy awards. There never has been, and never will be. Some objective standard of merit is mythical. When a movie like Crash, gets an Oscar and some of the voters refused to even watch another nominated movie because of its subject matter any pretense that they're decided on some objective standard of merit is out the window. Personal tastes and bias on the part of the voters has always been a part of the Oscars and still are.
So as we have shown that these decisions are not made on any objective standard of merit, therefore we cannot conclude and it is disproven that those left out necessarily lacked said merit on any objective basis.
Nominations and awards are handed out according to the tastes of the academy. Nothing more. And those aren't objective in the least and are subject to bias.
Just look at Creed. The idea that Sylvester Stallone is worthy of an Oscar nomination but Creed's director and the guy that played Creed aren't by some sort of unbiased and objective standard of merit is pure folly.

I will not be boycotting. One can't very well boycott something one doesn't watch or participate in anyway.

So because Stallone did a Oscar worthy job in HIS performance it automatically means that the director and lead actor deserve to be nominated? That doesn't make any sense. Is each one not judged on the job that each one did not on another's job?

Johnny Depp was not nominated for Gilbert Grape and yet Leo was. Does that mean that the Academy Awards are biased against JD?

Amen! And why did Jada wait until her husband was NOT nominated? If she cared so much about this great injustice, she would have boycotted before they even knew the results of who was nominated. Right?
Perhaps...publicity? ;)

So because Stallone did a Oscar worthy job in HIS performance it automatically means that the director and lead actor deserve to be nominated? That doesn't make any sense. Is each one not judged on the job that each one did not on another's job?

Johnny Depp was not nominated for Gilbert Grape and yet Leo was. Does that mean that the Academy Awards are biased against JD?
Absolutely agree with this. Just because one persons performance is Oscar worthy, doesn't mean that the film is going to be nominated for everything else. Creed was not nominated for Best Picture either, that would be a better indicator of whether or not the director might be nominated.
I saw Creed, and I loved it, thought it was fantastic, and I hope Stallone wins. That said, Michael B. Jordan was great, but I am not sure it was quite an Oscar worthy performance.

Exactly. I swear, as I watched Creed, I thought MBJ did a fine job, but to some extent I thought he was fungible. Sylvester Stallone dominated that movie. I truly believe any number of talented young Black actors could have played the role of Adonis Creed. (Relating it to What's Eating Gilbert Grape, NO ONE could have done that role justice except Leonardo DiCaprio.) Had you taken the character of Rocky out and replaced him with Apollo Creed's old trainers, the movie's audience and profit would have plummeted by 90%. Make no mistake, Stallone was the real draw. So yes, he deserves the Oscar nomination. And I don't even think he needs a director the way other actors do considering Rocky is HIS invention. It is a unique role in that he created it.

So what if Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith are going to boycott the Oscars? If Will Smith HAD been nominated, I promise you, there is no way those two would have boycotted and "taken a stand." Hypocrites. Aunt Viv was right. For them, this is more about him not getting nominated than about some bigger issue. But with the Smiths, it always is.

Just curious...

Was there an outcry when Robert Downey, Jr. was nominated for Tropic Thunder...

Just curious...

Was there an outcry when Robert Downey, Jr. was nominated for Tropic Thunder...

I don't know. I mean, Downey wasn't playing an African-American. He was playing a white actor playing an African-American... The entire movie was a satire of Hollywood. There was controversy over the black-face thing as well as the "full r-word" speech, but the "full r-word" speech was basically lambasted the Oscars for awarding Rainman and Forrest Gump for "prettifying" mental disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter