BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

The 2nd map available on the wdwmagic other site showed a bunch of numbered sites, with the only descriptive thing being "Boring Legend" (though I couldn't find a match to their color coded terms). Any clue what that map is showing us?
Boring is done to determine the integrity of the subsoil. They need to know how much weight the soil can support and the depth of the water table. That boring map accompanies the SFWMD application and is used to show the depths of the different types of soil and soil properties prior to construction to determine whether the soil can support the new infrastructure.

We are booked January 22-26 standard room, considering upgrading to courtyard. For what you pay for fairly small rooms at WL, the idea that I can commute to a campground to boat, fish and have a campfire, on top of construction noise daily starting at 9am doesn't sound relaxing or convenient for a Deluxe resort. Unless they compensate with a decent discount on rooms, we may jump ship. Do they ever include room only discounts on standard rooms at WL?

We are booked January 22-26 standard room, considering upgrading to courtyard. For what you pay for fairly small rooms at WL, the idea that I can commute to a campground to boat, fish and have a campfire, on top of construction noise daily starting at 9am doesn't sound relaxing or convenient for a Deluxe resort. Unless they compensate with a decent discount on rooms, we may jump ship. Do they ever include room only discounts on standard rooms at WL?
Yes, the standard rooms are usually included in RO discounts. My advice is to speak directly to Guest Services and ask them nicely what options you may have. They will likely give you an option to move to another resort or take a discount on the room. You can also wait to see what happens and call closer to your trip. Letters are going to be coming out based on travel dates. Have you considered the cabins at FW if you like their amenities? They price very similarly to the WL Woods View rooms. They may not charge anything extra to move there.

Ok, so I'm terribly indecisive and OCD too....WDWKOOK - sorry in advance for being a serious pain! Ha ha! So, after much debate last week re: Guest Service person who kinda had confirmation of construction but not really at liberty to say anything yet, offered us a move the Standard GW at Contemporary. Ok, CR has many fine points, DH ok'd it is text. Then came the uh oh, forgot to mention it's not tower in those texts. Long story short, GS said they would work on a transfer which could take a few days to show up. It did. So, we just became officially transferred back at WL on Thursday. So, what's an OCD girl to do but keep calling about construction stuff...here's how the call may go: Anyone who calls before getting a letter, you need to press the first line reservationists to let you speak to Guest Services. They may give you a hard time but be nice, patient, and firm. I just asked what options are out there for WL/VWL people. A move to another resort: they will give you options based on your room type and cost. Villas transfer to Villas, Deluxe to Deluxe, Standards to standards etc... The discount appears better than the pool. They said $100 per night (this could be based on room type and cost) too so it may vary. I currently have a room only and the discount would be off the already discounted rate. **people who used their travel agents...call them, not Disney first. So hope this helps...as many know from the past, it is subjective and may be based on your personal reservation, handled on a case by case basis.

Hmmmm.. So now what to do? Poly, BW, BC? Standard style rooms at early December/Christmas? Or take that nice chunk of change and stay put, take my chances?

The 2nd map available on the wdwmagic other site showed a bunch of numbered sites, with the only descriptive thing being "Boring Legend" (though I couldn't find a match to their color coded terms). Any clue what that map is showing us?

I am happy that someone took the time to identify all the "boring spots" of VWL so now I don't have to waste any time going to those areas. I known, groan.

Not trying to offend anyone, but the "cabins" at fort wilderness look like mobile homes with a partial log exterior put on them. I've always felt they were overpriced. I come from an area with real log homes so I guess I see them differently than some might if you live in the city. WL is our favorite resort except for maybe Polly. It will be our 40th anniversary and retirement trip and don't know if we will be able to afford to go back after that. We can't afford Polly anymore so I'm not sure what we'll do next.

Not trying to offend anyone, but the "cabins" at fort wilderness look like mobile homes with a partial log exterior put on them. I've always felt they were overpriced. I come from an area with real log homes so I guess I see them differently than some might if you live in the city. WL is our favorite resort except for maybe Polly. It will be our 40th anniversary and retirement trip and don't know if we will be able to afford to go back after that. We can't afford Polly anymore so I'm not sure what we'll do next.
Poly may be an option based on availability if you want to move. Only GS can tell you what options are available for your specific dates and room type. I love the idea of the cabins but DH hates them and feels like you so, I totally understand. It was the fishing and such that made me think of them. Please note, after this Monday, there will be substantial work being done to the area Poly's East pool currently is in. The very type of work that is being do at the VWL pool will be there too. See the Poly thread for further info. It may not bother you but, it would bother me if room was close by.

Ok, so I'm terribly indecisive and OCD too....WDWKOOK - sorry in advance for being a serious pain! Ha ha! So, after much debate last week re: Guest Service person who kinda had confirmation of construction but not really at liberty to say anything yet, offered us a move the Standard GW at Contemporary. Ok, CR has many fine points, DH ok'd it is text. Then came the uh oh, forgot to mention it's not tower in those texts. Long story short, GS said they would work on a transfer which could take a few days to show up. It did. So, we just became officially transferred back at WL on Thursday. So, what's an OCD girl to do but keep calling about construction stuff...here's how the call may go: Anyone who calls before getting a letter, you need to press the first line reservationists to let you speak to Guest Services. They may give you a hard time but be nice, patient, and firm. I just asked what options are out there for WL/VWL people. A move to another resort: they will give you options based on your room type and cost. Villas transfer to Villas, Deluxe to Deluxe, Standards to standards etc... The discount appears better than the pool. They said $100 per night (this could be based on room type and cost) too so it may vary. I currently have a room only and the discount would be off the already discounted rate. **people who used their travel agents...call them, not Disney first. So hope this helps...as many know from the past, it is subjective and may be based on your personal reservation, handled on a case by case basis.

Hmmmm.. So now what to do? Poly, BW, BC? Standard style rooms at early December/Christmas? Or take that nice chunk of change and stay put, take my chances?
So you're saying they would transfer you from WL to another deluxe at no charge or give a discount even if you say, got free dining? This is year number two we found out about construction at WL after booking. Last year in September, this year in November!

It will depend on your dates, and what is available. In some cases, you may be required to pay additional for an upgraded room type. This is our 3rd move due to construction so I feel your frustration. If a discount comes out and can be applied, it will be. To be honest, if I did not have a discount and was waiting for one, I would wait until I had it applied to my current reservation at WL. Once that happens, if I still wanted to explore moving or further discounts to the room, I would then call GS or the number on the letter if and when you receive it.

So my opinion of GS has diminished after calling back as they instructed me to yesterday. Today, they say I have only the option of moving to AKL or GW at CR. It all started after speaking to Winston again and he made out like I was trying to commit a crime against humanity. Pretty sure he has noted awful things in my account and everyone I spoke with after him was first nice then not so nice after. This is our last on site stay for sure. If GS gives you an offer and it a decent one, make the move then and don't trust them to honor it even one day later.

Ok, just got off the phone with guest services. I do not have a room only discount pin. They gave me the option of staying in my deluxe club level room at the Wilderness, or any Club level and get 30% off room only. So without a pin, or an offer, they gave me 30%. I could have changed to any resort and they would have given me 30% but at that resorts rate. So we are staying at the Wilderness. They also said there will be no construction on the main building. We are there Dec 2nd thru 8th. I am suprised at the limited availability of Club level rooms at the resorts. She says they are all reservations and not blacked out for the room only discount.I cant honestly believe her since it is a slow period. Hope this helps some people!

Just want everyone to know that kmorlock also posted this on the WL thread which is where I responded.

I am waiting for people to cancel their dvc plans for this December so I can extend beyond the 2 days I have right now...

:thumbsup2

I am happy that someone took the time to identify all the "boring spots" of VWL so now I don't have to waste any time going to those areas. I known, groan.

If you dig deep enough, you can really come up with some dirt on those boring spots:rolleyes2

So you're saying they would transfer you from WL to another deluxe at no charge or give a discount even if you say, got free dining? This is year number two we found out about construction at WL after booking. Last year in September, this year in November!

After kmorlock's and Block Family's posts, it seems the inconsistency in offers has begun. I recommend waiting until you get the letter and then calling. See my pasted response to kmorlock below.

So my opinion of GS has diminished after calling back as they instructed me to yesterday. Today, they say I have only the option of moving to AKL or GW at CR. It all started after speaking to Winston again and he made out like I was trying to commit a crime against humanity. Pretty sure he has noted awful things in my account and everyone I spoke with after him was first nice then not so nice after. This is our last on site stay for sure. If GS gives you an offer and it a decent one, make the move then and don't trust them to honor it even one day later.

This is my reply from the WL/VWL thread:

UGH. I expected this, just not so soon. Last year with the pool closure, many reported conflicting compensation and offers. I think with that closure they were only prepared to deal with guests asking for compensation onsite after they had checked-in. I was told that guests had to deal directly with WL in person. They were also offering a free water park pass, but for a while, guests actually had to know to ask for that, it wasn't automatic.

So that I understand, the day the letters were to start going out to booked guests you called and they offered you a $100/night reduction/credit OR you could move to another Deluxe? Today they are not offering any monetary compensation and will only you try to move you to another resort? Odd that no Epcot resorts are even an option.

If this is what is happening, then this is very similar to when the WL pool closed. A $50/night credit was only offered to guests who asked about it in person upon check-in, but guests who called were able to change resorts. My guess is that you were one of if not the first call on the official announcement date, and they have since amended the offer to what you experienced today. What do you think you'll do now? Call back?

Ok, just got off the phone with guest services. I do not have a room only discount pin. They gave me the option of staying in my deluxe club level room at the Wilderness, or any Club level and get 30% off room only. So without a pin, or an offer, they gave me 30%. I could have changed to any resort and they would have given me 30% but at that resorts rate. So we are staying at the Wilderness. They also said there will be no construction on the main building. We are there Dec 2nd thru 8th. I am suprised at the limited availability of Club level rooms at the resorts. She says they are all reservations and not blacked out for the room only discount.I cant honestly believe her since it is a slow period. Hope this helps some people!

:welcome: to the DIS and the thread!

Thank you for posting about your experience today. The CM is correct that there is no planned impact to the WL existing infrastructure. I'm going to copy/paste your post to the WL/VWL. In your case, this worked out very well for you. Did you accept the offer and receive an updated confirmation reflecting your new rate?

I was scheming that I'd ask my TA to move us to a CY view room (from a standard) if the usual 30% Fall discount came out. But now I'm realizing a CY view can include rooms facing the DVC pool, right? So there's really no way to win, just book a CY room, make a room request, and cross your fingers, right?

Additionally, we're booked at WL with our first night through Disney, but the 6 subsequent nights on a TA discounted room. Does that mean I'm pretty much hosed with negotiating with Disney if I were to stay in the standard room?

Just want everyone to know that kmorlock also posted this on the WL thread which is where I responded.

:thumbsup2

If you dig deep enough, you can really come up with some dirt on those boring spots:rolleyes2

After kmorlock's and Block Family's posts, it seems the inconsistency in offers has begun. I recommend waiting until you get the letter and then calling. See my pasted response to kmorlock below.

UGH. I expected this, just not so soon. Last year with the pool closure, many reported conflicting compensation and offers. I think with that closure they were only prepared to deal with guests asking for compensation onsite after they had checked-in. I was told that guests had to deal directly with WL in person. They were also offering a free water park pass, but for a while, guests actually had to know to ask for that, it wasn't automatic.

So that I understand, the day the letters were to start going out to booked guests you called and they offered you a $100/night reduction/credit OR you could move to another Deluxe? Today they are not offering any monetary compensation and will only you try to move you to another resort? Odd that no Epcot resorts are even an option.

If this is what is happening, then this is very similar to when the WL pool closed. A $50/night credit was only offered to guests who asked about it in person upon check-in, but guests who called were able to change resorts. My guess is that you were one of if not the first call on the official announcement date, and they have since amended the offer to what you experienced today. What do you think you'll do now? Call back?

:welcome: to the DIS and the thread!

Thank you for posting about your experience today. The CM is correct that there is no planned impact to the WL existing infrastructure. I'm going to copy/paste your post to the WL/VWL. In your case, this worked out very well for you. Did you accept the offer and receive an updated confirmation reflecting your new rate?
2.5 hours of phone time later, they have lost my trust. We pretty much get nothing offered yesterday outside of our BB offer. I'm researching offsite now.

We stayed at WL in November 2014 during the main pool construction adventure.

We never received a letter from Disney re: the construction. I think at some point very close to our trip we may have received an email.

Some time before our trip I wrote an email to guest services expressing how unhappy I was with the prospect of construction.

I received a call form a GS rep. We were offered: (1) move to a specific room type at another deluxe resort for no additional cost, or (2) a room credit of >$50 per night. In the end, I accepted the room credit.

We did enjoy our stay, though missed the pool and some of the areas blocked off.

Bottom line: if this round of new construction is anything like the last I expect what they offer will be all over the place and inconsistent.

FWIW we are booked Courtyard view in December 2015. Apparently our luck with construction and WL is not very good.

SW

does Disney ever recategorize room views during construction? (Ie: would a room normally designated a courtyard view overlooking the quiet pool become a standard view because of the construction?) I'm just curious because we just booked a standard view for next year and while I don't so much mind looking down at the loading docks, seeing and hearing construction from my room doesn't sound too appealing.

We too stayed last year in September but were unaware we could get compensation. I called last night, as our trip this year is in November. I kindly explained last year was no harm, no foul, but this is now two years in a row we couldn't take advantage of all the amenities at the resort. I requested a small discount, as my son picked this resort and we had already upgraded to this from the Caribbean beach resort. The guest services rep I spoke with told me they authorized a $100 per night room recovery charge and if that was okay would I want to take it and I gladly accepted it. I don't know if I lucked out because it was two years in a row and I did not take advantage of any discount last year or what but I hope some other people have luck with this as well. I will also add that last year the construction did not affect the wonderfulness of our stay at all. We had a fantastic time.

facebook twitter