Bought the wide angle - now a question about apetures

It is worth having in my opinion. If there is a 35mm for less than $100 more though, then I would go for that instead. I don't know Canon enough to tell you.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 will run you between $100 and $130 depending on where you look online.

I've used the 50mm f/1.4 and just absolutely LOVE that lens and was very impressed with how well it did on dark rides / shows. But that lens will run you ~$450.

Here are some others on Canon (these are only the ones I know, I'm sure there are others)......

• Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ($489 on Amazon)
    Canon 28mm f/1.8 ($800 on Amazon)
    Sigma 28mm f/1.8 ($450 on Amazon)
    Canon 35mm f/2 ($399 on Amazon)
    Canon 35mm f/1.4 ($1479 on Amazon)

I would always endorse the idea of having at least one fast prime like that...if you can find one that gets you in the door for under $100 or so, that would be exactly what I'd recommend to start with. If you find you use it a lot, and really come to love low light shooting with it, but find it a bit too long, you can always look to invest in a good 28mm, 30mm, or 35mm version down the road. But a cheap 50mm is always a great place to start. I myself got a Minolta 50mm F1.7 as my first low light lens, picked up used for $60. I'd suggest the same - you might even find that lens used for even less...check out KEH.com to see if they've got any.

Looks like I need to start checking the internet!! Thanks for your thoughts.

It is worth having in my opinion. If there is a 35mm for less than $100 more though, then I would go for that instead. I don't know Canon enough to tell you.

I'll look for a 35mm in a Canon or Canon compatable prime. Thanks for the advice!

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 will run you between $100 and $130 depending on where you look online.

I've used the 50mm f/1.4 and just absolutely LOVE that lens and was very impressed with how well it did on dark rides / shows. But that lens will run you ~$450.

Here are some others on Canon (these are only the ones I know, I'm sure there are others)......

• Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ($489 on Amazon)
    Canon 28mm f/1.8 ($800 on Amazon)
    Sigma 28mm f/1.8 ($450 on Amazon)
    Canon 35mm f/2 ($399 on Amazon)
    Canon 35mm f/1.4 ($1479 on Amazon)

Yeah, after just buying the Tamron 10-24, I'll need to stay in that "lower price" bracket for awhile! But I'm going to start looking for a good prime in that 100-150 price range. Thanks for your advice!

Hey DoleWhipDVC........

I know you just got the Tamron 10-24.......did you know that Tamron is offering a $50 rebate on that? I just got the ad from Calumet Photo. Looks like it applies for any purchase from May1 - July 31st.

Makes the Tamron more inticing.....

Hey DoleWhipDVC........

I know you just got the Tamron 10-24.......did you know that Tamron is offering a $50 rebate on that? I just got the ad from Calumet Photo. Looks like it applies for any purchase from May1 - July 31st.

Makes the Tamron more inticing.....

Yes, I saw it online and then when I actually bought the lens at a camera shop, they gave me the mail-in form for the lens. A penny saved is a penny to spend at Disney! :goodvibes

Yeah, after just buying the Tamron 10-24, I'll need to stay in that "lower price" bracket for awhile! But I'm going to start looking for a good prime in that 100-150 price range. Thanks for your advice!

whilst the 50mm 1.8 maybe isnt the absolute best lens out there for what you're wanting to shoot, in my opinion its just too good value to not have! Its going to give you good dark ride and fireworks shots as well as being great fun for learning/playing with depth of field in other kinds of shots as well.

No canon owner starting out should be without this lens!

You WILL be frustrated that its not quite wide enough, but then there is nothing wider in the price range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter