Bought oven ready lasagna noodles by mistake

teller80

DIS Veteran
Help. I bought them once a long time ago and didn't care for them, I don't remember why exactly, but I accidentally bought them again. Can someone tell me if I can boil them slightly first? I googled it and reviews said to make your sauce a little on the watery side. Any suggestions? Thanks!

U don't boil them. Just use a little extra sauce than u might have otherwise.
I have bought different brands but I'd do like the barilla or Trader Joe's. So much easier

Not sure. I know when I have used no-boil noodles in lasagne, I haven't been happy. They never soften up properly, and even with extra sauce, the lasagne comes out gummy. I know that the no-boils are thinner than the regular noodles, so maybe pre-soak them in some water to soften them a bit? Also thin out your sauce. I think i'd try the pre-soak thing. Good luck!

I love oven ready lasagna noodles! And I don't like thin sauce. My sauce is thick. You really just need to add a lot of sauce to them. So I add an inch of sauce to the bottom of the pan, put my noodles down and layer. Just make sure your noodles are totally covered by sauce or cheese as you layer. On the top, add another inch of sauce and make sure your noodles are generously covered. I cover my pan and bake.

I love oven ready lasagna noodles! And I don't like thin sauce. My sauce is thick. You really just need to add a lot of sauce to them. So I add an inch of sauce to the bottom of the pan, put my noodles down and layer. Just make sure your noodles are totally covered by sauce or cheese as you layer. On the top, add another inch of sauce and make sure your noodles are generously covered. I cover my pan and bake.
They work great for me too and I use them exactly the same way you do. I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference between oven-ready and the kind you boil, in a finished product.

You could cut a piece of the noodle and boil it to see if it will give it a softer texture.

You could cut a piece of the noodle and boil it to see if it will give it a softer texture.

I used to hate them, but I tried them again in a pinch not too long ago, and I think they have improved.

For guests, I'd go buy the regular noodles. I don't care for the no boil ones for regular lasagna because I don't like it overly saucy (tastes too much like stoufers to have so much sauce and less clearly marked layers). I do have a spinach lasagna recipe that's good that calls for no boil noodles. They are pre-soaked in hot water to soften. I think the point in that recipe is the no boil noodles are thinner.

I just used them last week, and the noodles turned out gummy.

I'm sticking to regular noodles for now on. I par-boil mine, just to soften them, and let the sauce cook them the rest of the way so they turn out al dente in the end.

Help. I bought them once a long time ago and didn't care for them, I don't remember why exactly, but I accidentally bought them again. Can someone tell me if I can boil them slightly first? I googled it and reviews said to make your sauce a little on the watery side. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited to add the post is asking about no boil lasagna noodles. You can soak them for just a little bit in hot tap water before you make your lasagna if your sauce is on the thick side. Don't boil them for any length of time.

Last edited:
I bought them by mistake a couple of years ago but went ahead and prepared them like I would the regular noodle (in other words, I boiled them) and they turned out just fine.

I use them all the time and have had no issues with them. Makes it SO much easier to make my veggie lasagna.

My recipe starts out with a layer of noodles, but if the oven-ready noodles are on the bottom they can't absorb enough sauce to make them taste right. If I had started with a layer of sauce they would've been better. I just stay with the regular noodles.

I use them this way: run very hot tap water into a pan and place the noodles in it completely covered for 5 minutes. Drain and use as nomal. Works well.

Not sure. I know when I have used no-boil noodles in lasagne, I haven't been happy. They never soften up properly, and even with extra sauce, the lasagne comes out gummy. I know that the no-boils are thinner than the regular noodles, so maybe pre-soak them in some water to soften them a bit? Also thin out your sauce. I think i'd try the pre-soak thing. Good luck!

I agree...I've never had the no boil noodles come out right. They are always gummy. I think it's worth the extra work to boil them.

You shouldn't boil them first. (I tried them once and don't care for them.)

Any time you make lasagna the pasta should only be boiled enough so they are easy to handle. They should barely be al dente. They will cook further when you bake them. Just make sure you put enough sauce on each layer and add enough eggs to the ricotta.

It drives me crazy when I read people make pasta in a crock pot. Blah. Pasta should never be cooked in anything but a pot of boiling, salted water. Drain. Then do what you want with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter