Boss just told me going next week. No planning. Anything I can do?

starjazz

DIS Veteran
Oh my goodness. My boss just let me know they're going to WDW next Fri, Sat and Sun. They haven't even bought park tickets yet, much less gotten their FPs reserved. He's in the camp that still thinks they have to pay extra for FPs. I at least set him straight on that, but he was just like "meh, not sure we'll have time to get it done before we leave."

This is to let you know that, yes, there are still people who do this. Even during the busy season. And he knows its busy season because he was talking about how he noticed it was their "peak time" when he was shopping tickets (just still hasn't pulled the trigger).

Secondly, is there anything I can do to help? They have no idea how to book the FPs, when to get em, or for what. They haven't made dinner ressies. I suppose without him giving me his email address and password, I wouldn't be able to? I don't want to come off as a total know-it-all with regards to his vacation, but I'm betting he's going to come back and say "never again".

Then again, maybe I should just let him.....less people in the parks I guess. Just feel terrible for him and his three sons. Its supposed to be 90 degrees, super crowded, and they're going in blind. Yikes.

Maybe see if you can get him to down load the app so he can try making ADRs and FP when he realizes he should have alread done it? If the kids know he has it, they may figure it out. Type up a page with a few suggustions (when to go, when to break, free water, info about the app, places to go for down time, etc.) that will make his trip better. Three days is not long so just enough info to make those days better so they want to go back.
Good Luck!

1 Did he ask for help or was he just saying I am going to disney. If he asked for help then I would give him some pointers on things I would do or what I think he would like. If he did not I would keep my month closed and tell him I hope you have a great time.

I do know people ( I am raising my hand) that have gone with out any plans no FP no dinning and Have had a great time (but I do go a lot and live kind of close)

Oh my goodness. My boss just let me know they're going to WDW next Fri, Sat and Sun. They haven't even bought park tickets yet, much less gotten their FPs reserved. He's in the camp that still thinks they have to pay extra for FPs. I at least set him straight on that, but he was just like "meh, not sure we'll have time to get it done before we leave."

This is to let you know that, yes, there are still people who do this. Even during the busy season. And he knows its busy season because he was talking about how he noticed it was their "peak time" when he was shopping tickets (just still hasn't pulled the trigger).

Secondly, is there anything I can do to help? They have no idea how to book the FPs, when to get em, or for what. They haven't made dinner ressies. I suppose without him giving me his email address and password, I wouldn't be able to? I don't want to come off as a total know-it-all with regards to his vacation, but I'm betting he's going to come back and say "never again".

Then again, maybe I should just let him.....less people in the parks I guess. Just feel terrible for him and his three sons. Its supposed to be 90 degrees, super crowded, and they're going in blind. Yikes.

I don't think there's anything you can do. In my experience ppl. like that think having to plan is like pulling teeth and they would much rather just pay more, wait in longer lines once they're there etc., as opposed to have to think about it and deal with it now. They'll go and they'll probably have a decent time, they'll say it was super crowded and probably not for them, and that's that. Not everyone is like us lol.

My uncle came over from Australia with his second wife, mother-in-law and two kids. My parents were invited and just say their trip was very different from what it could have been. My bet is he comes back saying he does not get the hoopla over Disney.

I don't think there's anything you can do. In my experience ppl. like that think having to plan is like pulling teeth and they would much rather just pay more, wait in longer lines once they're there etc., as opposed to have to think about it and deal with it now. They'll go and they'll probably have a decent time, they'll say it was super crowded and probably not for them, and that's that. Not everyone is like us lol.

This exactly!!

My uncle came over from Australia with his second wife, mother-in-law and two kids. My parents were invited and just say their trip was very different from what it could have been. My bet is he comes back saying he does not get the hoopla over Disney.

Great point! I remember distinctly the first trip I took to Disney after being on the boards. Night and day compared to the other trips. I actually realized I liked Disney after 2010!

1 Did he ask for help or was he just saying I am going to disney. If he asked for help then I would give him some pointers on things I would do or what I think he would like. If he did not I would keep my month closed and tell him I hope you have a great time.

I do know people ( I am raising my hand) that have gone with out any plans no FP no dinning and Have had a great time (but I do go a lot and live kind of close)
This. x1000

I had a friend do that last year. I ran in to her at pick up at school and she told me that her DD mentioned DGD had told them we were going to Disney. They decided last minute to tag along on their DS's High School Band trip. It was about a week, maybe 10 days out. They were staying off site. I gave her some high points, she booked FP and they just ate QS for days they were there. We met up with them in the afternoons and they were having a blast. So it's done and folks still have fun. Amazing, huh?

I'd OFFER to help them with the phone app and fastpasses. Maybe their spouse is the planner? I don't think it'll hurt to set up their fastpasses, and show them how to use mde. You might be a lifesaver.

"Have a nice trip, (Boss)!"

Not everyone is a Disney person. To me, it sounds like he's "doing it for the kids" & doesn't really care whether or not this is the best trip of his life. His boys probably know what they want to do.

In this situation, interfere at your own peril, IMO. He knows you love Disney. If he wants help, he will ask for it. If he doesn't, you could make yourself out to be an annoyance at best.

Depends on your relationship with your boss. If it's a good one, I'd absolutely offer unsolicited advice. I don't mean force it on him, but at least offer and say "Hey, I have some suggestions for a last minute trip".

In my eyes, it's really no big deal that he hasn't planned. No, he won't get a FP+ for 7DMT or probably Frozen, but he can still get a pretty decent selection. We do it all the time...we have FP+ booked for park A, and the day before my kids will want to switch to park B. We usually don't have a problem getting decent FP+. I agree that not everyone is a Disney person, and obviously not everyone reads these boards. I have found the boards helpful for sure, and I truly enjoy them, but they really haven't changed (for better or worse) my trips. I loved them before I found this board, and I love them just the same now.

If his response was he doesn't think they'll have time to make FP+ before they leave and he didn't ask for help, I wouldn't give any. There are some people who simply don't like to plan and they may be just fine with what they encounter when they get there. Yes, they may decide that WDW isn't the right vacation spot for them, but there is really nothing you can do.

As someone who went on CM tickets after the whole FP+ thing started but before you could make advanced FP+ with the CM comps and so was forced to wing it, contrary to what this board indicates, it IS possible to have a wonderful trip with not so much planning. And even after that I've done plenty of night before or even day-of ADRs (granted I'm not locked into a regimented eating schedule, so I don't mind off times) for TS places.

I'd tell the boss to have a great time and leave it at that unless he asks for help.

I don't give advice unless they ask. I've had several friends and heck even acquaintances ask and I always give the key points, a break down of some rides I think they should FP and what days all of that is going to be open but I don't plan vacations out right. Most friends have been happy and said they have great trips but I never want a trip to hinge on my advice.

If he didn't ask for help, then I'd stay far away from it. Anyone who is leaving for a trip in one week and has done no planning & knows it's peak season are on their own. And I would say that about any vacation, not just Disney. Who does zero research before going somewhere new??? He clearly doesn't care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter