Boss just told me going next week. No planning. Anything I can do?

I assume there are a LOT of people that do this and treat WDW just like any other Six Flags-like theme park.

Yep. A friend will now be going on her 2nd trip and have decided that they will just buy tickets when they arrive and figure it out I tried to tell them last time to at least plan a little ahead but that just isn't them. They are very go with the flow. Only went to Disney last time because their older boy (5 or 6) begged to go see Mickey. They were hoping he wouldn't even realize Disney was in Fl as they were only there to do Harry Potter and Uni.

Oh my goodness. My boss just let me know they're going to WDW next Fri, Sat and Sun. They haven't even bought park tickets yet, much less gotten their FPs reserved. He's in the camp that still thinks they have to pay extra for FPs. I at least set him straight on that, but he was just like "meh, not sure we'll have time to get it done before we leave."

This is to let you know that, yes, there are still people who do this. Even during the busy season. And he knows its busy season because he was talking about how he noticed it was their "peak time" when he was shopping tickets (just still hasn't pulled the trigger).

Secondly, is there anything I can do to help? They have no idea how to book the FPs, when to get em, or for what. They haven't made dinner ressies. I suppose without him giving me his email address and password, I wouldn't be able to? I don't want to come off as a total know-it-all with regards to his vacation, but I'm betting he's going to come back and say "never again".

Then again, maybe I should just let him.....less people in the parks I guess. Just feel terrible for him and his three sons. Its supposed to be 90 degrees, super crowded, and they're going in blind. Yikes.
I hate to sound mean, but wish him a great trip and leave it.. I figure this is a Disney form of Darwinism. In my selfish way, I feel we need guests like this. This frees up FPs, ADRS etc... for those who plan.. Imagine if EVERY guest planned.

Oh yeah, I remember those times. But the mere existence of FP+ has altered the standby lines. I know that it CAN be done, but I just think, why? Especially during busy time. I'm guessing attendance was quite a bit lower back then too, but its just a guess.
There may have been fewer guests, but there were also a lot fewer attractions. I think that it depends on the personalities involved. My wife prefers spontaneity on vacations. Having days planned out ahead of time means that she has to be on a schedule. Not interested.

We get FP+ the night before we enter parks. It's the way that we roll. Of course, we are AP holders and spend about 30 days/year in the parks, so we are okay missing any ride on any particular visit.

Oh yeah, I remember those times. But the mere existence of FP+ has altered the standby lines. I know that it CAN be done, but I just think, why? Especially during busy time. I'm guessing attendance was quite a bit lower back then too, but its just a guess.
Yep.

I remember waiting in line for Dumbo for over an hour because my sister HAD to ride it first. LOL.

^^^This completely. Lord knows I probably overplan. Many of us do, right? But at least get your FPs. Maybe even look at a crowd calendar and pick which days for which parks.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't even know about the existence of crowd calendars.

I assume there are a LOT of people that do this and treat WDW just like any other Six Flags-like theme park.

There are definitely a lot of people that don't plan, or think it's like a Six Flags trip. It's not a bad thing. Plenty of people are fine operating that way.

I would say most people are fine doing vacations that way. Kinda on the fly. I'm personally not and no one here is. I want to get my monies worth (for lack of better term). I want to do as much as possible. Some people go on trips and if they get a few rides a day in they're good.

We had some friends who were never crazy about Disney World but finally decided to take the plunge...with no planning whatsoever...for one day...Christmas Day. Can anyone guess what they had to say?

There may have been fewer guests, but there were also a lot fewer attractions. I think that it depends on the personalities involved. My wife prefers spontaneity on vacations. Having days planned out ahead of time means that she has to be on a schedule. Not interested.

We get FP+ the night before we enter parks. It's the way that we roll. Of course, we are AP holders and spend about 30 days/year in the parks, so we are okay missing any ride on any particular visit.

I think this makes a TON of difference. But I get you.

I am a major planner and love planning out my trips. I had my most recent trip planned out perfectly and months in advance. Well, my son got sick our first night (threw up every hour from 12:30am-8:30am). Threw a major wrench in my plans. We did not end up keeping 1 pre-booked 180 days out ADR. We were only there for 3 full days and although he recovered quickly, he was very tired and off his schedule (he was 2.5) the entire trip. I was amazed at how easily I was able to switch my ADR times for Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace and Garden Grill. We were there President's Day week so it was moderately busy. So, last minute is definitely possible and enjoyable!

Phew!! I'm glad I asked. The overwhelming response seems to be to stay the heck out of it. I did already tell him to download the app and be sure to book his FP+ beforehand since they were free (him thinking he had to pay extra). But, I'll stay out of it from here on. Thank you for setting me straight! My gut said to give him a three page memo. But I certainly see the peril now that y'all pointed it out.
You could just say if you have any question I would be happy to help. This way he can come to you if he dose.

I think people here make a big big deal out of planning but it isn't essential. I've done no planning trips more than once and have a great time. Truth of the matter is not everyone enjoys planning

I think it comes down to expectations.
If any of us on the Dis decided to do a no planning trip we'd know what to expect - long waits, limited fast passes, possibility of no TS meals, etc. and be happy if we did get 7DMT fast pass or a ADR at O'hana.
The non planners show up expecting to walk on to the E ticket rides and wander up to CRT at 11:45 and get a table for lunch and then get upset when they can't. "long lines" they say, "no where to eat" they complain.

I was at WDW recently for a dance competition. Impossible to make any ADR's or get any FP's because, due to the competition schedule we had no idea when we would be able to get to a park. For that matter i had no idea what park our group would want to visit.
One afternoon we were free and decided to hit Epcot. Great. I figured we'd walk around World Showcase, do some shopping, introduce my traveling companions to the jalapeno margaritas at La Cava and get some QS dinner. I was fine with that.
On the ride over I fired up MDE managed to get our group FP's for Soarin' and ADR's at Via Napoli. For me that was a win.
Had I gone expecting to ride Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space and FEA then walk up to which ever restaurant I chose for dinner I think I would have felt differently.

"We" just have different expectations than "Them".

When someone tells me they are going to WDW and they are inexperienced, I offer assistance. I have had people take me up on it and some do not want to plan and aren't interested.
I had one person tell me...I don't need to make FPs because I'm going at the lowest crowd level time of the year. I'm thinking...uhhh...no you aren't and even if you were, why would not at least want to skip the line on 3 attractions?
When they got back, I heard about 90 minute wait times and the fact that they had to skip some attractions altogether.
Tell your boss you are there to help and answer questions if he wants, but it's his trip so it's his decision whether to take you up on your offer.

Some of us just hate to map out a vacation to the day, minute, second. The boss is just taking a 3 day/weekend vacation. It is a get away not work. Relaxing and not running from place to place may be what they plan to do. We often go at the last minute. We have sometimes picked a restaurant that morning or the night before at whatever time is availble from the ap which is usually a lunch; but have also just gone to Guest Relations once inside a park and checked to see what was available. It is always fun. There is nothing wrong with just eating curb service places either. We check what FP is available the night before and also when in the park, but do not stress , we just enjoy the time there. If they want help they would ask, so let it go.

In the spirit of "Not my circus, not my monkeys", this is "Not my vacation, not my money". I totally get your panic though. I'm a planner (to a certain degree), and on occasion, I've had people say the same thing to me about a trip to WDW. Then I get twitchy & a lil sweaty and think about wasted time, money, and steps and then...I have to let it go. I've given advice to a few folks who asked, but only after they replied to "What are your major objectives and who is going?" But to most of them, I've given a big smile and sincerely wished them a wonderful vacation in beautiful weather. If they hate it, they hate it. And if they don't, they don't. Waaay beyond my control. I hope his vacay is awesome!

But don't y'all love it when they come back and are like, 'I should have listened to you'?

My best-friend went on an extended family trip last March at the beginning of the Spring Break season. I helped them about specifics of MDE and linking there tickets. Beyond that they said they would be fine. Two of the families had a great time with the limited planning/QS/missing certain rides. A case of not knowing what they were missing. My friend's family knew they were missing things and could have been doing better. They are going over New Years this year and have already asked me to plan their trip with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter