Booster seats for rental car?

two*little*birds

DIS Veteran
We've thinking of bringing our own booster seats (not the highback ones) along with us on the plane - the car rental agencies want way too much money to rent them, especially for 12 days.

Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions/tips.

We bought a cheep one at a yard sale and just left it at the hotel when we left with a note attached to it ( THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED BY LAW IN FLORIDA )

We do this all the time. We take the boosters with us as carry on so we have them at the airport even if the checked luggage is lost or delayed. We typically put them in the overhead bin but, if the plane is full and you are late getting on, you might have to stow them underneath the seat in front or have the airline check them at them at the gate.

If you book through CAA with Hertz, one booster seat is included for free! You just need to ask for it...

I always follow the rule ... if you need it at home, you need it on vacation. Before my DD was 8, I always packed 2 low booster seats. I was able to fit them into one luggage, and then use the rest of the space in there for jackets/coats at the airport (if you're travelling in colder season). It's also a bit of extra room for souvenirs. :)

We always gate check the booster seat along with our umbrella stroller. Figure a way to tie it to your stroller or rolling carry-on while going thru the airport.

I bought a no back booster seat and kept the box. I pack it, box and all in a suitcase for teh trip down (I figure the box will help protect it). If I need the space in the luggage on the way back, I leave it out of the suitcase and check it in its own box as a separate piece of luggage.

Joanne

We also gate check the booster and the stroller, usually. I asked AirTran about this is in the summer and she told me that a booster would count against my luggage (but that was at the height of oil prices), so we're taking bigger suitcases and putting the booster in the there (low back). I would never pay what the rental agencies ask!

Now that my son is 9, but not quite 57", we still use a no back booster. I know that it is not law in Orlando for a 9 year old to use it but we still use it for safety.

We usually put it with the car seat for my daughter. Or in some cases, I have packed it in my suitcase. The armrest comes off or lowers and so if fits in the suitcase. However now that we have to be more deligent with the number of suitcases, I will most likely put it in a bag with the car seat.

I do remember Hertz offering it for free but that was a very long time ago. I'm not sure if it's available now.

We planned on bringing ours, but we forgot to take it out of the car at the airport! We didn't realize how much it was going to cost us to rent one, so we ended up driving from the rental car place to Walmart where we picked one up. It was $20 for the same one we paid $34 for in Canada! It's worked out well for us b/c now we have one in each car at home so no need to move it back and forth anymore.

We planned on bringing ours, but we forgot to take it out of the car at the airport!

I was always worried we would do that so we always take the car seat and booster off the other car and pack it up with our luggage so I don't have to be worried about forgetting it in the car. I suppose it's easier to just take the one their using, but I'm too nervous about forgetting it. More work but less stress.:thumbsup2

We planned on bringing ours, but we forgot to take it out of the car at the airport! We didn't realize how much it was going to cost us to rent one, so we ended up driving from the rental car place to Walmart where we picked one up. It was $20 for the same one we paid $34 for in Canada! It's worked out well for us b/c now we have one in each car at home so no need to move it back and forth anymore.

We picked one up at the Walmart in Orlando for $15. Alamo wanted $45 + tax for the weekly rental.

Hey there,

Check the bottom and make sure it is approved in Canada! You may not be able to use it and may not be covered for damamges if something happens while you are using it.

We gate checked a low back booster seat and an umbrella stroller with Air Tran in July, no problems and no extra charge. :confused3 I did call a few days before departure just to double check though. Good Luck.

So how do you "gate check" something? We're flying out of Buffalo via AirTran, is this something we do when checking the rest of our luggage? :confused:

Thanks

When you are checking your luggage tell them you want to gate check the stroller/car seat. They (or the check in desk) will give you a tag to attach to your items. Then you walk down the (darn I cannot remember the name) but the entrance to the plane (the tunnel thing - man I am going ot kick myself later when I think of the name) and right before the door to the actual plane you leave your items. When you arrive, they will be in the same place. It is slick because they will often have the stoller set up for you and everything.

We always bring our carseat/booster when we fly. Besides the high cost to rent one, I understand that when you book one it's not guaranteed they will have one for you.

We brought ours in August and just checked it with our other bags. The agent put it in a plastic bag and away it went. We had previously travelled with a car seat, and found it much easier to check it with our other luggage instead of hauling it around with us as a carry-on (we always have at least one connecting flight which always seems to be at the opposite end of the terminal).

we had a Dollar van rental and a booster seat is built right into the seat. It was wonderful. Dollar told us that they couldnt guarantee this. when we picked up our van they said sorry no car seat. We went to Walmart and purchased a car seat 20.00 and at the end of our trip turned it into dollar and they took 20.00 off our rental.

The hularious thing is the second day in Florida :confused my partner was checking out the van, and found the booster seat that was built in. Crazy. But we were headed to disney so those little things don't matter.

:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter