Boorish behavior

On a recent cruise there was a large group that attended each of the trivia sessions and kept racking up the wins. It got to the point where we stopped going since we knew they would be there. After the first 6 sets of plastic mickey heads for their party you would think they would just start playing for fun... or the CMs would tell them to share. It's not like they got anything more as a reward but they even squabbled in the two groups they had to split into (while seated together anyway) about which people would get them. :sad2:

Ugh, it seems like there's always that one group on every DCL cruise I've been on. It makes the trivia kind of unpleasant.

Ugh, it seems like there's always that one group on every DCL cruise I've been on. It makes the trivia kind of unpleasant.

And....when folks are blatantly cheating by looking up answers on their phones. It defeats the whole point of a trivia contest and totally takes the fun out of it. I guess some people just have to win at any cost.

On a recent cruise there was a large group that attended each of the trivia sessions and kept racking up the wins. It got to the point where we stopped going since we knew they would be there. After the first 6 sets of plastic mickey heads for their party you would think they would just start playing for fun... or the CMs would tell them to share. It's not like they got anything more as a reward but they even squabbled in the two groups they had to split into (while seated together anyway) about which people would get them. :sad2:

Many times they limit groups to 4. I was on a cruise where the host would say, "if you have more than 4 people on your team, then you have 2 teams." But I've seen where you have groups of 8, which is tough to beat if you are only a couple. Especially music trivia.

And....when folks are blatantly cheating by looking up answers on their phones. It defeats the whole point of a trivia contest and totally takes the fun out of it. I guess some people just have to win at any cost.

If someone wants to pay for data to look up answers to win a keychain, more power to them.

Many times they limit groups to 4. I was on a cruise where the host would say, "if you have more than 4 people on your team, then you have 2 teams." But I've seen where you have groups of 8, which is tough to beat if you are only a couple. Especially music trivia.

They did say this, but all they did was grab two papers for their group of 10. For all intents and purposes, they were playing together anyway and sharing answers. If they had sat apart it might have helped?

They did say this, but all they did was grab two papers for their group of 10. For all intents and purposes, they were playing together anyway and sharing answers. If they had sat apart it might have helped?

I wish we lived in a world where courtesy was common. And where people thought about how their fun/desires/needs/wants affect others around them.

People that act that way and make comments that they are going to kill or harm someone they've never even seen absolutely astound me. This guy could have been making that comment about someone highly trained in hand to hand combat that would have destroyed him in no time. I just don't get it, other than there are just some out there that are not too bright.

So, on topic, I'll ask a question. We went to an adult music trivia game at O'Gills Pub. A family brought a child with them. Clearly a child, likely 10-11 years old, not a young looking adult. She was the only kid in there, it was listed as adult only, yet there she was. Should we have complained? She was well behaved, but once you open the door to one kid, why can't all 500 who are on the ship pile in as well? I didn't complain, but it was annoying that they were flaunting the rules and the CMs didn't say anything.
Just got off the Magic a few days ago, and this was the norm. This general area routinely had as many kids as adults at night and during daytime "adult-only" activities. Plenty of CMs and officers around, but none were asked to leave. I guess they wait to see if somebody complains, which shouldn't be necessary.

Just got off the Magic a few days ago, and this was the norm. This general area routinely had as many kids as adults at night and during daytime "adult-only" activities. Plenty of CMs and officers around, but none were asked to leave. I guess they wait to see if somebody complains, which shouldn't be necessary.

If it was bothersome I am not above asking one nicely there has been a change in the activities as I am seeing a lot of kids around. If they say yes, I'd suggest they remove the "adult only" from the description as it is no longer correct. I didn't see anyone disrespecting the adult areas over xmas, but this was the first cruise in a long time that they had. The only kids I saw in the adult areas were quick moving through, or going to the very front of the ship to look out.

So I have a (kind of) a funny story about boorish behavior on DCL - these episodes occurred on the now infamous 2005 Inaugural Panama Canal cruise on the Magic from Port Canaveral to Long Beach (called Castle to Castle :).
Anyway, Disney announced it would be releasing - on the first night - some Artist Choice pins in the store - one of which featured Ariel. My daughter, who was 12 at the time, really wanted one of those pins so we went to the store when it opened to buy one. Well, a line had already formed and two men in the line were holding those shopping baskets on each arm (and they were standing in line - I'm mentioning that as there is a part two to this story later on), and each basket was absolutely full to the brim with pins. What they had done was taken every pin, including those Artist Choice pins, off the the rack and put them in their baskets. Another man came up to them and said, "you've taken every single pin and not left any for others (like the children) to buy for their souvenir. So one of the men holding baskets said "Disney doesn't put a limit on how many we can buy so we are within our rights to buy them all-and we are going to be trading them so come see us in the lobby to trade for one" - so the guy who was complaining to them got really mad and said, "there's no way you are using at least 300 pins for trading - you're selling them on Ebay" so this heated conversation goes on for awhile - and the mad guy says - let's meet up on the Goofy deck and "have this out".
By now cast members are agape as we aren't even two hours into a two week cruise and passengers are in a fight over pins - the kids in the shop are in shock as are most of we parents - my daughter starts crying when she realizes she won't get that pin - what a mess. So a very sweet cast member goes in to the back and gives my daughter the Ariel pin that she had purchased for herself - and wouldn't take anything for it.

So the two guys did buy all the pins - no fight occurred but a lot of yelling and profanity.

A few days later some of my friends and I were waiting with other passengers to enter the theater for a show and I'm recounting this story to them (as they had heard rumors and were curious what happened)-all of a sudden one of those two "shoppers" got up out of the wheelchair he was sitting in -since I guess he overheard me - and walked over to me and started yelling at me that they were going to use those pins for trading blah blah. One of my friends gets in his face and says, bulls@@t, you're selling them on ebay - we saw the listings. Anyway, the guy backs down and goes back to his wheelchair - then everyone started calling me a miracle worker since I got the guy to walk so he could come over and yell at me lol!!

And that's my story about boorish behavior haha!

We just got off the Wonder and had some seriously loud children nearby. I get it--excited running in the halls cannot always be stopped. BUT--late late late one night the PARENTS were standing at one end organizing races in the hall for the kids. That was over the top to me.

So I have a (kind of) a funny story about boorish behavior on DCL - these episodes occurred on the now infamous 2005 Inaugural Panama Canal cruise on the Magic from Port Canaveral to Long Beach (called Castle to Castle :).
Anyway, Disney announced it would be releasing - on the first night - some Artist Choice pins in the store - one of which featured Ariel. My daughter, who was 12 at the time, really wanted one of those pins so we went to the store when it opened to buy one. Well, a line had already formed and two men in the line were holding those shopping baskets on each arm (and they were standing in line - I'm mentioning that as there is a part two to this story later on), and each basket was absolutely full to the brim with pins. What they had done was taken every pin, including those Artist Choice pins, off the the rack and put them in their baskets. Another man came up to them and said, "you've taken every single pin and not left any for others (like the children) to buy for their souvenir. So one of the men holding baskets said "Disney doesn't put a limit on how many we can buy so we are within our rights to buy them all-and we are going to be trading them so come see us in the lobby to trade for one" - so the guy who was complaining to them got really mad and said, "there's no way you are using at least 300 pins for trading - you're selling them on Ebay" so this heated conversation goes on for awhile - and the mad guy says - let's meet up on the Goofy deck and "have this out".
By now cast members are agape as we aren't even two hours into a two week cruise and passengers are in a fight over pins - the kids in the shop are in shock as are most of we parents - my daughter starts crying when she realizes she won't get that pin - what a mess. So a very sweet cast member goes in to the back and gives my daughter the Ariel pin that she had purchased for herself - and wouldn't take anything for it.

So the two guys did buy all the pins - no fight occurred but a lot of yelling and profanity.

A few days later some of my friends and I were waiting with other passengers to enter the theater for a show and I'm recounting this story to them (as they had heard rumors and were curious what happened)-all of a sudden one of those two "shoppers" got up out of the wheelchair he was sitting in -since I guess he overheard me - and walked over to me and started yelling at me that they were going to use those pins for trading blah blah. One of my friends gets in his face and says, bulls@@t, you're selling them on ebay - we saw the listings. Anyway, the guy backs down and goes back to his wheelchair - then everyone started calling me a miracle worker since I got the guy to walk so he could come over and yell at me lol!!

This makes me feel really bad for the kids. I can't stand fights/yelling. Breaks my heart, especially when it happens in an environment where people are supposed to feel safe and happy.

We just got off the Wonder and had some seriously loud children nearby. I get it--excited running in the halls cannot always be stopped. BUT--late late late one night the PARENTS were standing at one end organizing races in the hall for the kids. That was over the top to me.

UGH. We had kids running up and down our hall on one of our cruises -- banging on doors as they went by -- all hours of the night. Finally, one night I swung open our cabin door and asked "is there something you want or do you just want me to call security" -- and we never saw them again! (but they probably went and bothered other hallways LOL)

Last edited:

That's when I would have been on the phone to Guest Services to have Security come up. Since parents were organizing, I would not have even tried to address it on my own.

I'm not surprised by this at all. Disney pins bring out the crazy in a few people. Some of the worst behavior I've seen by adults occurs during the Officer Pin Trading event.

I'm not surprised by this at all. Disney pins bring out the crazy in a few people. Some of the worst behavior I've seen by adults occurs during the Officer Pin Trading event.

So true. I have seen adults shove kids during Officer Pin Trading.

We were on the Magic in September and DD and I went to the Disney Music Trivia contest. I was along for moral support because although I like the songs, I don’t know them well enough to identify them. Well, DD won. She’s a bit of a Disney fanatic. Afterwards another group came and congratulated her and said how happy they were she won because the group beside them was using their cell phones to get the answers and she beat them anyway.

On the very last night on our cruise on the Dream we went into the lobby to take pictures, so this was probably around 10 - 11pm, maybe? And there were just a group of children running around, probably like 7 of them? We were taking pictures by the Halloween tree and one of the parents/guardians sitting nearby the tree made a comment about how the kids are just playing tag amongst themselves, since one almost like ran us over or we almost ran into them as we were walking. But literally all of the parents were just standing around the statue near the stage and the piano talking, not even watching their kids run amok in the lobby.

Honestly this was on DCL for not putting a limit on the number of pins one could buy. These guys were definitely greedy, but within their rights. Would I have ever done anything like that no, and honestly I wouldn’t have confronted them either, but complained to DCL about their sales policy for these exclusive pins.

If memory serves, DCL learned their lesson from this, because on the inaugural Hawaii cruise, we were only able to purchase two sets of the exclusive pins. We were only going to get one set but decided last minute to get the second set.

Wanted to add that I remember seeing this during the Beenie baby craziness many years ago. A lot of stores finally put limits on what each person could buy too, so that issues like this wouldn’t happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter