Booking VGC 7 Months Out

brandoko

Earning My Ears
I've been wanting to buy a small VGC contract on resale. But they're difficult to come across. How realistic is booking VGC 7 months out for a studio/1BR if you have a different home resort?

Depends on what time of year you are looking at, but generally speaking, the studios are very difficult to book at the 7 month mark. 1 bedrooms tend to have more availability 7 months out, but you will still want to be online right when booking opens to snag a reservation.

At busy times forget it but if you can travel 'off season' I've been surprised how good availability is. For example, right now every single day in January and February (8-9 months out) is still available, even in a studio. That said I'm sure they'll be gone very shortly after the 7-month window opens.

I've been wanting to buy a small VGC contract on resale. But they're difficult to come across. How realistic is booking VGC 7 months out for a studio/1BR if you have a different home resort?

I just checked 12/5/19 to 12/8/19 for a studio or 1 BR at VGC and nothing is available. I would say it is highly unlikely you would get reservations on a regular basis for a studio or 1 br at VGC under 7 months in advance.

Bumping this thread as we've been debating on entering the DVC market for Sleep Away Points to use at VGC since we're Southern California folk that frequent DL frequently off season and use off-site properties most of the time. Willing to do VGC at the SSR entry points for ~$250 per night stays on the studio or 1BR.

We do plan out to 7 months so can do that, and typically do our stays in Feb/Mar time frame too.

Can someone check on the availability of those times?

We may to a rental points route but don't mind getting into a small SSR contract if it serves as a good commit for VGC --- challenge is the 8AM EST/5AM PST release..

Bumping this thread as we've been debating on entering the DVC market for Sleep Away Points to use at VGC since we're Southern California folk that frequent DL frequently off season and use off-site properties most of the time. Willing to do VGC at the SSR entry points for ~$250 per night stays on the studio or 1BR.

We do plan out to 7 months so can do that, and typically do our stays in Feb/Mar time frame too.

We may to a rental points route but don't mind getting into a small SSR contract if it serves as a good commit for VGC --- challenge is the 8AM EST/5AM PST release..
Availability at exactly 7 months is generally only a room or two. Pete didn't even bother doing charts for VGC. No point.

When a resort is as small as VGC, there is no off season.

The challenge with 7 months is every resort that comes online (Riviera, Reflections) adds to competition.

There is really no sub for home resort at VGC. It is not getting larger. Competition is.

I would not do this as a plan. If you predominantly want VGC, you should buy VGC. I refused to pay the price before and now avail is much tighter and I'm forced to pay today's prices. They are bringing on a ton of new owners with Riviera and Reflections and limiting resale buyers to the original 14 which means competition will get stiffer and stiffer. If you get points for WDW and are happy to take 1 day midweek here and there, it would work. Remember too, you can only hold two wait lists at one time. But I would think you would have luck with them coming in just 1 or 2 days and if you're local, that could be cool.

There are only two grand villas, 23 dedicated two bedroom units and 23 lockoff two bedroom units at GCV.

I am doing this strategy too because it is totally feasible as SoCal residents. I am self-employed, so I can take advantage of the occasional kids' Winter and Summer breaks mid-week. For busy seasons, I am closing on a 160 pt VGC contract to book 11-month window for special events at Disneyland.

For Grand Cal Studio as of 8/17:
Untitled.png

For Grand Cal 1-BR:
1-BR.png

So it is possible to pick up singleton studios here and there at 7-month window.
1-BRs are a lot more available.

At busy times forget it but if you can travel 'off season' I've been surprised how good availability is. For example, right now every single day in January and February (8-9 months out) is still available, even in a studio. That said I'm sure they'll be gone very shortly after the 7-month window opens.

It's usually like that. Availability is decent until 7 months + 1 day, then everything vanishes. I own at VGC, so I tend to poke around at the availability periodically.

OP, unless you're super flexible (like you're fine with some days you find randomly here and there), I would not buy with the expectation of being able to book there at 7 months. There is a reason why VGC prices are pushing $200 per point. If it were easy to book at 7 months, no one would pay that.

Please check out these threads if you are interested in SAPs:

"Sleep-Around Points" - The Thread
Exclusive-use Points - The Thread

I am doing this strategy too because it is totally feasible as SoCal residents. I am self-employed, so I can take advantage of the occasional kids' Winter and Summer breaks mid-week. For busy seasons, I am closing on a 160 pt VGC contract to book 11-month window for special events at Disneyland.

For Grand Cal Studio as of 8/17:
View attachment 426662

For Grand Cal 1-BR:
View attachment 426663

So it is possible to pick up singleton studios here and there at 7-month window.
1-BRs are a lot more available.
For seven months out, only one night is available in a studio. I don't know if DL is busy in Feb, but that doesn't look that good.

For seven months out, only one night is available in a studio. I don't know if DL is busy in Feb, but that doesn't look that good.
I agree, not good...for WDW standards of stringing 5-10 consecutive nights in a studio for yearly vacations. But for @montreid stated strategy it is definitely viable.

@emchen - thanks for the calendar. Tells me fairly good opportunities especially during the Jan-Apr months were we would do our one off quick stays - and plan for those at beginning of the school year. We rarely do 2+ days at a time with DL.

We'd take that opportunity with some bargain SAP points. That said, with VGC out to 2060 vs 2054 (SSR), the premium isn't that much more ~15% once factoring yearly fees and the extended duration.

Just wondering if the 11month for us really makes that premium worth it compared to the oncoming onslaught of more points entering the SAP bucket is true. ---plus that 5AM wake up to book hassle.

@emchen - thanks for the calendar. Tells me fairly good opportunities especially during the Jan-Apr months were we would do our one off quick stays - and plan for those at beginning of the school year. We rarely do 2+ days at a time with DL.

We'd take that opportunity with some bargain SAP points. That said, with VGC out to 2060 vs 2054 (SSR), the premium isn't that much more ~15% once factoring yearly fees and the extended duration.

Just wondering if the 11month for us really makes that premium worth it compared to the oncoming onslaught of more points entering the SAP bucket is true. ---plus that 5AM wake up to book hassle.
Hassle of 5 am wakeup is solely dependent on going for the studio. As you see the 1-BR is pretty available.

Based on my calculations in the “SAP” thread, I value the 11-month window with a 30% premium. Take a look and let me know what you think of my reasoning.

Last edited:
Due to the lack of room I think your find it hard to find a studio anywhere at 7 months out.

I bedroom and 2 bedroom is a different matter but requires a lot more points.

Yes, it may get even harder as time goes on as you mention. It seems unlikely that there will be another DVC at Disneyland in the near future, if ever. There were some rumblings when the new hotel went under construction, but that's been scrapped and Disney's relationship with the city doesn't seem to good right now.

Riveria is coming online, then Reflections, then probably even more, all fighting for a handful of units at VGC. the resale restrictions may temper that problem somewhat though, so maybe the effect won't be as bad as it could have been.

Getting back to the original question of this thread, the DVC fan phrase of “buy low, sleep high” is a great argument for doing the 7-month window strategy for 1-BR villas at any high demand, low-supply resort. Whether it is VGC, VGF, BCV during F&W, you name it. Caveats being for studios, “rope drop” at opening of 7-month window.

Riveria is coming online, then Reflections, then probably even more, all fighting for a handful of units at VGC.

A lot of members have said this, but I never understood this argument since new resort owners are hardly likely to use their precious $188/pt contracts to sleep around. If they did they would more likely use them at WDW resorts of equivalent high cost (wouldn’t make sense to “buy high, sleep low”). Not to mention Riviera and Reflections will be point-drains for all the resale points sold prior to 1/1/19. I see the opening of Riviera and Reflections as a relief, not added burden for VGC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!