Booking before discounts

TexasAggieBelle

Earning My Ears
We are looking at booking a vacation for the week of Thanksgiving in 2020. Is it true that we can book now for the resort and the dates we want and then apply discounts later when they come out? How does this work? Is it best to wait and see what deals are available?

You can, but there is never a guarantee that discounts will be for the same room type, or even come out at all. In essence as long as you have a room booked and a discount comes out that 1) matches the room type you have and 2) remains available for your dates by the time you go to change it, then, yes, you can.

I did this with a Pop reservation just recently and it worked well, I did it all through My Disney Experience. If you use a TA, they have to do it. If you do it yourself, you are in charge of checking and changing it... I've not done it on the telephone before, but I would suppose that would work too.

We are looking at booking a vacation for the week of Thanksgiving in 2020. Is it true that we can book now for the resort and the dates we want and then apply discounts later when they come out? How does this work?

If you booked it yourself, you would need to call and have them see if the room type is eligible and has availability. If there isn't availability under the discount, you may be able to change resort/room type to get one. The PP indicates you can do it through MDE, but I've always used the phone. It's usually been easier for them to tell me of other options, IE changing room type or resort to get the discount than it was to keep searching online.

Is it best to wait and see what deals are available?

It depends on your comfort level. Discounts/deals are usually issued to hit occupancy goals. So if WDW wants to be at 85% occupancy 3 months out, but Poly Standard View is only at 80%, they would offer a discount there. But if Contemporary Theme Park View is at 86%, no discount would be offered. So by booking now, you end up decreasing the chance of a discount being offered for your exact needs on your travel dates. But if you don't book far enough out, especially over peak travel periods, you risk not being able to get a reservation at your desired resort/room type/at all. So you can book now and be certain to get what you want, or you can wait to save money and risk not getting your desired resort.

Thank you for your advice. We went ahead and booked. I am glad we did- last week there were standard rooms, this week there are none.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!