Booking an ADR with Wrong Number of People

giantsmets

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone,
Just a quick question for some of you vets (maybe there’s already a thread on this). I’ve been prepping for my upcoming trip, and noticed differences in availability for different, but similar, party sizes (I.e. I’m a group of 2 but looking at ADRs for up to 3). Not sure if this is allowed, but am I able to book an adr for an extra person and then, before arriving, ask to remove a guest? With the way adrs are going these days, I wanted to make sure I’m using all my available options. Sorry if this isn’t allowed!

Yes, you can book for an extra. As long as one person shows up you won't be charged a no show fee. You don't even have to go through the angst to call and try to cancel.

It is not recommended, however, to book for less and then try to add.

We booked weird numbers for a couple of ours. Dumb that I could get ANYTHING to come up for 6, but put 7 and 2 different time options come up. Makes no sense.

It’s not you it’s their system. The other trick a cm gave me back when calling was the only way-for an adr that requires payment add an infant. It was crt at the time and had to add a number to get the adr.

Disney always tries to match the amount of seating to the party.

When making ADR's, do all members of the party need to have park reservations at the time the ADR is made? Can one person with park passes make all the ADR's for a group of 4 ahead of the other 3 getting passes?

When making ADR's, do all members of the party need to have park reservations at the time the ADR is made? Can one person with park passes make all the ADR's for a group of 4 ahead of the other 3 getting passes?
You don’t need a park pass to make an ADR. You just have to know that you will need to get a park pass for any restaurant inside a park. If you can’t get a park pass, you need to cancel the ADR the day before or pay the penalty cost per person.

I was just getting ready to post about this. I’m always playing with reservations. Especially on the app I’ve noticed this. We are a party of 3. Today I searched for Epcot party of 2 for dinner (particular date). 4 restaurants popped up the I tried 3 people. 7 restaurants popped up. I tried 4 people. 8 restaurants popped up. Then I tried 4 people, 5:00. 9 restaurants popped up. Not only that but some of the restaurants that pop up for 3 people have more available reservation times with 4 people. I had to make a reservation for 4 in order to get Coral Reef. Last time I went I got Ogas for 1 person at 8:00, 1 person at 8:05 and 1 person at 8:10. I just put the reservation in each individuals name.

The only reason I tough it out and call to drop the extra person is because on the maximum number of people allowed in a building per the fire code. Keeping that extra person on my reservation until I walk up and check in may deny another being able to secure a reservation. But, that’s just how I think.

You don’t need a park pass to make an ADR. You just have to know that you will need to get a park pass for any restaurant inside a park. If you can’t get a park pass, you need to cancel the ADR the day before or pay the penalty cost per person.
That is great to hear.......so will everyone need to have tickets applied to their MDE accounts before making ADR's. We have DVC resort reservations.

That is great to hear.......so will everyone need to have tickets applied to their MDE accounts before making ADR's. We have DVC resort reservations.
No, not really. You don't have to list all the guests when you make an ADR or at any time before going to the restaurant. But when you want to USE that ADR by going to the restaurant to eat, everyone will need to have the necessities to enter that park, e.g. a ticket and park pass reservation for that park, or a hopper ticket and park pass reservation for a different park and have entered that different park already before entering the park where the ADR is. However, their names are not required to be listed in order for them to be seated and eat. They can check in and be seated as long as they know the name of the person managing that ADR and the reservation time for the ADR.

The reason for listing guests when you book an ADR is so that those who have access to an MDE account can see that ADR in their plans.

I think you might have misunderstood my response. So I will try again...
In order to make an ADR for a restaurant inside a park you do not have to have a park pass (Yet). But to actually keep that advanced dining reservation, you and everyone in your party, will have to have a park pass so you can actually get to the restaurant. ( you can also park hop to get to the restaurant, but that still requires a park pass and attendance at that other park first.) If you can’t get a park pass, you will have to cancel the day before or be charged ten dollars per person. Only one person has to show up in order not to be charged any no show fees. Being shut out of a park you need to hop to in order to get to the restaurant is not an excuse not to be charged the fee.

Ok. That does help. I had been under the impression i needed to have tickets and park passes all purchased and chosen before I could make my ADR's. At least I know I can make the ADR's first and get everything else taken care of after.

Hi, I booked all of my dining reservations for three people, but one cannot go. Do I book all new reservations for two or can I call Disney Dining to have them adjust the number to two ?

Thank you.

Hi, I booked all of my dining reservations for three people, but one cannot go. Do I book all new reservations for two or can I call Disney Dining to have them adjust the number to two ?

Thank you.
Ordinarily I would say to call and modify to 2 people, but if the phone service is as bad as it's been the past few days, I'd wait until I got to the restaurant. My tickets got messed up and I have spent literally HOURS on hold for the past 3 days. One time I was on hold for 3 1/2 hours before I finally hung up. If you are able to call and get through right away, then do it, but if you are on hold, don't wait.

Thank you.
It’s okay for just two people to show up. You don’t have to make any adjustments. You will not be charged a no show fee as long as one person arrives on time for the reservation.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for answering my question, Mambo Junkie and Ensusieasm. My son just got a new job and is waiting to see if they will allow him to go on the vacation. I appreciate your help.

FYI, most restaurants now have check in on the app. It tells you how many people your reservation is for, but you enter how many will be dining yourself. We’re a party of 2 & often have to make an ADR for 4 in order to get the restaurant or time we want. No issues at all. Even CRT prepaid meal, our reservation was for 4, but only 2 of us day of. We were fully refunded for the other 2 spots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter