Booked our first trip revised plan

Mark7616

Earning My Ears
We have booked our first trip to disney land, we are travelling August next year and made the desicion to go for 3 weeks. We will be staying in Sarratoga springs as this worked out slightly cheaper as it had the free DDP. Now I have a couple of questions, we want to use our DDP to go to the character meals and shows etc and for breakfast using the counter service option. How important is it that I book my table reservations before I leave obviously I dont need to book counter service meals but do I really need to book table service meals 6 months in advance, as we have never been there before how are we to know where we want to eat and when we want to eat. We have a plan of the activities we want to do and dont really want to work them around restaraunts but will have to if it is the only way. We have made a plan of what we want to do its just a guide untill we find out park opening times and show times etc so we can work them around the days but for now this is what we have how does it look:

Day 1 Arrive, shops, pool
Day 2 Universal
Day 3 Sea World
Day 4 Magic Kingsdom
Day 5 Aquatica
Day 6 Outside excursion will decide out there
Day 7 Rest day / trip to daytona beach
Day 8 Blizzard Beach water park
Day 9 Magic Kingdom
Day 10 Epcot
Day 11 Universal
Day 12 Hollywood Studios
Day 13 Animal Kingdom
Day 14 Kennedy Space Center
Day 15 Gator Land
Day 16 Rest day
Day 17 Epcot
Day 18 Typhoon Lagoon water park
Day 19 Outside Excursion will decide out there
Day 20 Magic Kingdom
Day 21 Shops packing and home

Now this is the main thing that we want to make sure we do each day but if the day is hot we can go back to the resort to rest and go back or somewhere else later on but can decide that as we go as long as we do the main activity its all good.

That looks like one awesome trip! :thumbsup

It is a good idea to book your ADRs 180 days out. A LOT depends on when you are going and where you want to eat. The better restaurants are typically booked up pretty quickly, unless you are willing to settle for odd mealtimes - but that could seriously interfere with your plans and itinerary so while you should be okay to wing it for the odd days, be sure to get your character meals and any special must-do's booked. YOu don't need to choose what to eat - just where. :goodvibes

So I take it I need to book my dinner shows and character dining will this include character breakfast? And I take it anywhere that I want to eat on the disneyworld web site that has an R next to it I need to book? Crazy I would of thought I could of just turned up at the likes of planet hollywood and go a table after a small wait like in the UK with the like of beefeater. I find it very confusing as how do I know what restaraunt I will want to eat in on my 5th day there 6 months in advance??????

Ohh what a great trip! You lucky thing!

I would definitely consider booking one ADR a day if you have the dining plan - would be a shame if you couldn't make the most of it. When is your trip? If you are going during free dining you will really struggle to get an ADR "On the day", and even at other times of year its tricky for all the popular places!

Have a look at the menus and reviews on this website, and on www.allearsnet.com . You don't have to stick to the ADR's when you get there if you don't fancy it, but at least you will have something there for back up!

So I take it I need to book my dinner shows and character dining will this include character breakfast? And I take it anywhere that I want to eat on the disneyworld web site that has an R next to it I need to book? Crazy I would of thought I could of just turned up at the likes of planet hollywood and go a table after a small wait like in the UK with the like of beefeater. I find it very confusing as how do I know what restaraunt I will want to eat in on my 5th day there 6 months in advance??????

Actually Planet Hollywood doesn't take reservations beyond 4.45pm so that is walk in only. But they don't take the dining plan and since you are spending a fair amount of time off of Disney property, you may then want to consider using several 2 credit meals so that you don't end up wasting your credits. For days off site you can also try and get some food to go with a few CS credits to take with you to minimise your off site spending on some of those days. Keep talking - you will be surprised at how many times you end up answering your own questions. :goodvibes

The bit that we are struggling to get our heads round is the days we do non disney things. Take for instance when we go to Kennedy we use a CS meal for breakfast in the hotel do we just book a table for 8pm and make sure were back on time from there to make the reservation?

Actually Planet Hollywood doesn't take reservations beyond 4.45pm so that is walk in only. But they don't take the dining plan and since you are spending a fair amount of time off of Disney property, you may then want to consider using several 2 credit meals so that you don't end up wasting your credits. For days off site you can also try and get some food to go with a few CS credits to take with you to minimise your off site spending on some of those days. Keep talking - you will be surprised at how many times you end up answering your own questions. :goodvibes

Planet Holywood is on the 2010 list for the DDP?

I planned our 14 night December onsite trip only having been to MK before.

I used allears to look at menus and reviews to decide which restaurants I wanted. Looking for the highest review scores and the most expensive 1TS restaurants meant my list had most of the popular restaurants on it.

I planned my park days then fitted the restaurants into them so restaurant in or near each park on the days we visited eg Tusker breakfast in animal kingdom then Boma at AKL tea.

On our offsite days, some days I booked a tea at a resort and it worked well. We did park fare and ohana on these days and I have really good memories of the meals maybe because we weren't so rushed, we had time to look around the rsorts.

We had some days without ADR's and ate at CS or offsite. We used the extra TS credit for breakfast and had 2 TS meals on other days.

Worked out really well - have planned a very similar return trip for October!

It does seem odd to book things so far in advance but you don't have to go just cancel. Build in a few extra adr's so you have flexibility.

I also used to spend hour on the restaurant boards on here drooling over all the food pics!

yeah lol i just used that as an example there are so many restaraunts its tricky.

How many of you are going? Do you have children and if so, how old are they? Are you adventurous eaters, do you have particular likes and dislikes when it comes to mealtimes?

Thats ok didnt take it the wrong way, i took it as you being helpful which is appreciated. We are a family of 4 2 adults 2 children DS 9 DS will be 5 out there. We eat well at home all cooked meals we like most things not overly keen on seafood but DS is like lots of steaks, pastas, chicken dishes etc etc.

Well I have a girl, but we enjoyed these and I think they would be good for boys. Also buffets and family style mean the children can eat 'real' food ie same as adults not the disney kids menus.

Sci fi at DHS - we ate there and enjoyed the burgers. You eat in a car and watch old films. My daughter loved it, asking to go back.

Coral reef at Epcot - menu isn't too seafoody, my hubbie had steak. I'm sure your boys would love to sit by the aquarium. The menu had pics of the fish to find, divers swam past.

Whispering canyon at wilderness lodge, - we enjoyed the all you can eat skillet, kids did the hokey cokey and pony races. They 'joke' with you - kids have to carry ketchup about when they shout ketchup, bring out huge cokes for Dad etc. Very lively atmosphere. Kids meals came in small skillets.

Ohana at Polynesian - served family style. Food was delicious - meats, noodles, salad. They will bring a kids meal if required aswell. Kids taught by a man to hula and a parade around the restaurant.

Tusker breakfast AK - good breakfast food, parade with instruments around the restaurant for the kids.

Park Fare dinner buffet at Grand floridian - not a 'girly' princess meal. Good food, very lively - stepsisters will joke with you. I saw alot of boys there.

Crystal palace MK - good breakfast food, all ages seem to enjoy this. Try and get an early adr and you can get in before park opening.

Raglan road downtown - we loved the food here. Kids food was really nice, a smaller version of the adults not the usual disney kids menu.

Le Cellier - we loved the food and the childrens steak meal was excellent.

Also heard good things about Stitch breakfast at Ohana. My DD is wary of stich but maybe a more boy friendly character meal.

We are trying teppan edo at epcot this time - you sit around a hibachi grill and the chef does a show cooking. read lots of good reports and very few bad.

If you look on you tube alot of restaurants are on there.

Thats gives me some food for thought. I mis typed I meant DS 9 and DD will be 5 we have one of each. I like the sound that the restaraunts get all the kids envolved and have fun with them. Im off to go and study the restaraunt section and you tube lol.

Oh if you have a DD - I really recommend Akershus breakfast. This was an excellent deal on the DDP. Only 1 TS and it included a photopackage of your DD with Belle. Saw ariel, snow white, aurora, cinderella. Food was good a buffet then eggs, bacon and potao casserole (think we had thirds of this!)

Much preferred it to CRT lunch which is 2 TS. We are giving CRT a whirl again but breakfast this time.

Put it is your DD's birthday on each adr - she should get a cupcake etc each time.

If it is your daughter's birthday i'm sure she would love Bibbidi bobbidi boutique like mine did. If you take her own dress up dress the packages are under £40

...and since you are spending a fair amount of time off of Disney property, you may then want to consider using several 2 credit meals so that you don't end up wasting your credits. For days off site you can also try and get some food to go with a few CS credits to take with you to minimise your off site spending on some of those days. goodvibes

On days away from Disney theme parks you may want to consider booking a character breakfast to use up a Table Service credit if you don't manage to book too many 2TS meals.

Would also suggest that the days you are at a Disney water park/Aquatica/ Shopping :sad2:, take the chance to book a TS meal in a resort rather than a park (e.g. Whispering Canyon, Boma, O'hanas etc).

Just to note that around April next year, Disney should publish the park hours for August which will show Extra Magic Hours (EMH) days for each park and any shows (e.g Fantasmic) - you may wish to juggle your planned itinerary dependant on whether or not you are planning to take advantage of EMH.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how do you actually book the dinner reservations? We are also staying at SS in Aug next year with the free DDP, never thought about having to book popcorn:: Debs x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter