BONNET CREEK SHUTTLE FEE in effect tomorrow

I am not upset with VS and should have worded it differently. I am annoyed with Wyndham for not being more clear about these fees so that owners/brokers could pass on the info correctly. I think it's unfortunate.
I agree with you, but you have to understand WHO actually initiated the fee. It was NOT initiated by Wyndham. It was put in by the WBC homeowners association, and they are the organization which will receive the revenue from the fee -- not Wyndham. The WBC HOA is independent of Wyndham, so Wyndham was limited in the amount of influence they could exert.

That situation was compounded by numerous people calling the WBC front desk or Wyndham timeshare member services, both of whom were unclear on what the real answer was. That created a lot of confusion and controversy, and Wyndham owners who were renting reservations (and services like VS) were still in the dark because they had no notification from Wyndham at all. They were wondering just like the rest of us.

And finally, once WBC formally announced the first fee, they got a tremendous amount of negative feedback -- much of it from Wyndham owners at other Wyndham resorts. Nobody will say for publication, but many think Wyndham exerted what pressure they could on the HOA and got them to change the fee.

I personally think they are going to get a lot of negative feedback on this $5 per round trip fee as well. We'll see what happens, but if they start getting a lot of negative comments from guests on Wyndham feedback, RCI feedback, or websites like Trip Advisor (and I think they will), it's possible that they could change again.

Time will tell.

I'm not sure it will matter, Jim.

Most owners don't rent. So, most owners don't care what the renters (or sites like TripAdvisor) think. Likewise, because Wyndham isn't in straight RCI Points, dropping from GC to SC (or below) won't impact the ability of any owners to exchange in the way it did for e.g. Vistana. The Wyndham feedback might matter, but it will matter to the management team, not the HOA.

Granted, the HOA Board is almost certainly stacked with Wyndham employees, so who knows.

FWIW, I also think the pay-per-use model will be met with a lot less animosity than the pay-no-matter-what model, even though it will be much more expensive for those who actually use it. At least, that's been the case based on what I am seeing on TUG and elsewhere.

This new fee sounds crazy expensive - $20 for a family of 4, round trip for each day. OUCH.

Its 14 to park if you drive so its not all that different, not including the rental car cost and gas. Its still cheaper than two cabs I would imagine. Even with the cost of parking, we prefer the ability to come and go without consulting a bus schedule, but I don't think 5 bucks per person for there and back is crazy expensive.

Its 14 to park if you drive so its not all that different, not including the rental car cost and gas. Its still cheaper than two cabs I would imagine. Even with the cost of parking, we prefer the ability to come and go without consulting a bus schedule, but I don't think 5 bucks per person for there and back is crazy expensive.

I think kids should ride for free......it would make it a lot more "acceptable".
$20 for a family of 4 is pretty pricey for a shuttle. If you're going to be there for a week a rental car is the cheaper play to go.

Parking is $14 per day, good for all theme parks. This fee is per each round trip, so if a family of 4 wanted to go to MK in the morning and Epcot or DTD in the evening, they'd pay $40.

We love BC, but have always driven ourselves to the parks. With 8 people, the $5.00 adds up quick. Our trips have always been 12 days or longer, so BC is such an economical way to have a "home away from home". To avoid the parking fee at the parks we always purchase one annual pass and park for free.

This new fee sounds crazy expensive - $20 for a family of 4, round trip for each day. OUCH.
We would have paid about that to use ART in Anaheim last month.

I think kids should ride for free......it would make it a lot more "acceptable".
$20 for a family of 4 is pretty pricey for a shuttle. If you're going to be there for a week a rental car is the cheaper play to go.

its still 2.50 a trip per person, with essentially door to door service. that's public transportation level cost. its way cheaper than a cab. i'm not sure the per person fare will cover costs, i'm pretty sure that they would get more money doing the every unit pays 12 bucks a day.

Yeah it sucks that it is not free, I can see if you want to go to multiple parks in one day but the schedule for that is not the greatest. I dont know for sure but since the fee is round trip, I dont think you can go wbc-epcot-mk. I think you would have to go wbc-epcot-wbc-mk. if you are planning on taking advantage of the 14 bucks for parking for the day, a car would really be helpful.

I can sort of see your point, but at the same time if I took my kids (which I have in the past), we'd be four adults, so my family of four would have to pay the $20.00, while your family of four would be paying half that. How would that be fair?

That's just like the $12.00 per unit (regardless of the size of the unit or how many people were in that unit) was not fair. Why should I as a solo traveler have to pay the exact same fee that a unit with 12 people did. The way the fee was set up originally that is what would have occurred. For a solo the fee would have been $12.00 per person, while the fee for a unit with 12 people in it, would only have been paying $1.00 per person. Definitely not fair for the solo person. Also the way it was set up originally that solo person would have had to pay the $12.00 per day, even if they had a rental car and never used the shuttles, while the party of 12 used it every day, paying only $1.00/person. How would that have been fair? I don't think there is anyway they could have institgated the fee and made everyone happy. However, charging per person for the people actually using the shuttle seems the most fair. If your rear end takes up a seat, you pay.

I am just concerned that with this new fee, more people are going to be renting cars to avoid it, making finding a parking space harder for those of us that were planning on renting a car anyway. My mom has now decided to go with me and has a handicap tag. I need to be able to park fairly close to our building and am afraid those handicap parking spaces are going to be very hard to get now. We stayed at Westgate Town Center this past Oct/Nov and every day we saw people parked in those handicap parking spots that did not have a handicap tag. One day we had to park at the far side of the lot and as we were walking in, saw a family who was parked in a handicap spot getting into their car. They did not have a handicap tag and we had seen them parked there several days in a row. My mom pointed to the handicap sign and told him that spot was for the handicapped. His response was a shrug and the comment, "this is a private parking lot, so they don't care and won't do anything about it. This spot is too close to pass up and if it's empty, it's ours". We called to report it and guess what? He was right. The next day that same car was parked there again and the two handicap parking spots next to him, also had cars parked there, with no handicap tags.

I am just concerned that with this new fee, more people are going to be renting cars to avoid it, making finding a parking space harder for those of us that were planning on renting a car anyway.

It's not only those planing to rent a car anyway. We're driving down, so we'll have a car already.

My mom has now decided to go with me and has a handicap tag. I need to be able to park fairly close to our building and am afraid those handicap parking spaces are going to be very hard to get now. We stayed at Westgate Town Center this past Oct/Nov and every day we saw people parked in those handicap parking spots that did not have a handicap tag. One day we had to park at the far side of the lot and as we were walking in, saw a family who was parked in a handicap spot getting into their car. They did not have a handicap tag and we had seen them parked there several days in a row. My mom pointed to the handicap sign and told him that spot was for the handicapped. His response was a shrug and the comment, "this is a private parking lot, so they don't care and won't do anything about it. This spot is too close to pass up and if it's empty, it's ours". We called to report it and guess what? He was right. The next day that same car was parked there again and the two handicap parking spots next to him, also had cars parked there, with no handicap tags.

Ouch. I know in Kentucky, they'll fine you for parking in a handicap spot, even if it's on private property. I thought it was the same in all states.

Another thing I've thought of. Parking spots will be at a premium. Upon check-in, will we be forced to pick up a parking sticker? Meaning we'll have to listen to a timeshare spiel? We're good at saying no (we're used to it, owning at Wyndham for a dozen years); however, we'll want to get to our rooms after a 900 mile trip.

My mom has now decided to go with me and has a handicap tag. I need to be able to park fairly close to our building and am afraid those handicap parking spaces are going to be very hard to get now. We stayed at Westgate Town Center this past Oct/Nov and every day we saw people parked in those handicap parking spots that did not have a handicap tag. One day we had to park at the far side of the lot and as we were walking in, saw a family who was parked in a handicap spot getting into their car. They did not have a handicap tag and we had seen them parked there several days in a row. My mom pointed to the handicap sign and told him that spot was for the handicapped. His response was a shrug and the comment, "this is a private parking lot, so they don't care and won't do anything about it. This spot is too close to pass up and if it's empty, it's ours". We called to report it and guess what? He was right.
He's not right. It is illegal to park in a disabled spot without a tag anywhere in the State of Florida, and Florida Statutes are specifically worded that way so the law can be enforced on private property. The fine is $250, I believe. If you encounter that in the future, call the Orange or Osceola county (depending on where you are) sheriff's department and ask them to enforce it.

Upon check-in, will we be forced to pick up a parking sticker?
We never display the "parking pass" on our car, and if you look through any Wyndham resort lot, you'll see that most cars don't display the pass. I've never heard of anything happening because of not having the pass. At WBC, we don't even go to the sales weasel desk.
Meaning we'll have to listen to a timeshare spiel?
You don't have to listen to a timeshare presentation! Where in the world did you get that idea??? You'll be asked, but just say no. They can't make you do anything.

Also, for people reading this who have never visited WBC, there is PLENTY of parking. Your spot might not be right in front of the door, but there are abundant parking spaces. I don't see any effect on parking from this fee.

The three downsides I see are:
  • the expense to family groups, especially those wanting to go back and forth to parks or DTD
  • the good possibility that the fee is so poorly designed that it won't really generate much revenue for the WBC HOA
  • the likely use of waivers of the fee to entice guests into high-pressure timeshare sales presentations

Also, for people reading this who have never visited WBC, there is PLENTY of parking. Your spot might not be right in front of the door, but there are abundant parking spaces. I don't see any effect on parking from this fee.

The three downsides I see are:
  • the expense to family groups, especially those wanting to go back and forth to parks or DTD
  • the good possibility that the fee is so poorly designed that it won't really generate much revenue for the WBC HOA
  • the likely use of waivers of the fee to entice guests into high-pressure timeshare sales presentations

I think point #2 is going to be the kicker, but since it was free before I'm not sure he new plan has to be revenue neutral. As much as it was maligned I think the 12 per unit per room would have generated more revenue. If the buses keep ending up in the red, it likely means one if two things, increase in cost or reduction in the number of buses which will entice more people to use cars.

As someone else said the one redeeming point is that the parking lot is huge so it should be able to accommodate more cars.

The management of Bonnet Creek has finally formally announced the details of the new shuttle fee at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, via a letter delivered to all guests last night. Here is the gist of the letter:

"To Our Valued Owners and Guests:

Based on owner feedback, the Bonnet Creek Homeowners Association will modify its transportation fee to a $5 per person/per round trip fee for ALL guests, regardless of ownership. Children 3 and under will ride free. The fee which goes into effect on March 2, 2013, covers the cost of providing shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® theme parks."

Tickets can be purchased from the Front Desk, Activities Desk, or Concierge Desk.

This is not how the email I received from RCI regarding my trade reads. Copied directly from my email (bolding is theirs also):

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Dear RCI Member:

We are writing to you concerning your upcoming RCI vacation to Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

The staff at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort notified us that effective immediately, they have implemented a USD $5 per person shuttle fee. Each guest is required to pay USD $5 each time they board the shuttle. This takes the place of the mandatory USD$12 per day, per unit fee.

We realize this may have an impact on your vacation and wanted to inform you of this situation in advance. Since spa
ce availability is limited in the area you confirmed, we encourage you to retain your vacation. Should you decide to cancel your stay, our standard cancellation guidelines will apply.

If you have questions, please contact our Member Services at (800) 338-7777. RCI Guides are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., local time and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., local time. Call Center hours are based on local times for RCI subscribing members in the Continental United States, Western Canada and Central Canada. For members in Hawaii and Alaska, Call Center hours are based on Pacific Time. For members in the Caribbean and Atlantic Canada, Call Center hours are based on Eastern Time. The Call Center is closed on most major U.S. holidays.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to providing you with quality vacations in the years to come.

Sincerely,

RCI Customer Service

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So - from what RCI guests are being told, the below mentioned fictional family of 4 would pay $40 PER DAY for the shuttle to one park, $80 if they went to two, or came back and took a break before going back....

Parking is $14 per day, good for all theme parks. This fee is per each round trip, so if a family of 4 wanted to go to MK in the morning and Epcot or DTD in the evening, they'd pay $40.

I think RCI is mistaken, and that's not surprising considering the sloppy implementation of this thing.

The quote I posted was from the WYNDHAM resort manager at WBC, and I have to assume he knows what he's going to do with this fee.

The fee's been in effect for a week now -- it would be interesting to hear from folks who are there now, or have been since March 2. (hint, hint)

do you think they will cut the buses and not have any - if this doesn't produce enough income?

JimMIA said:
I think RCI is mistaken, and that's not surprising considering the sloppy implementation of this thing.

The quote I posted was from the WYNDHAM resort manager at WBC, and I have to assume he knows what he's going to do with this fee.

The fee's been in effect for a week now -- it would be interesting to hear from folks who are there now, or have been since March 2. (hint, hint)

I would certainly assume that Wyndham would know better than RCI, and I agree this has been fairly sloppy. RCI had correct information the first time (regarding the $12 per day/unit). So it is, as I said, interesting, that RCI trades are given different information. lol- I see a lot of RCI trades renting vehicles based on this.

We're a party of 6. We're driving down so it really doesn't matter to us this time. If we did have to use it, no matter which way it was implemented, it would be a budget issue.

Spiceycat: I doubt that the bus service will be eliminated completely. It may not even shrink much. After all, the HOA was paying for *all* of it before; they may decide to keep it at current levels, and just treat any revenue as an offset, whether or not it completely covers it. But, I do think it is likely that some of the less popular routes/times might be cut back. Only time will tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter