Bob Iger back as CEO! Bob Chapek out

I agree that Chapek was in a difficult position, but it's clear that he made things worse with his management style. We've heard from enough people that worked at Disney (especially at WDI) that there were big differences between how Chapek and Iger approached them. I know this is a short-term fix and likely won't have huge impacts on the parks, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Iger will likely be taking a different approach now than he did originally as CEO. His goal isn't about growth or short-term gains; it's to make big org changes and put a structure in place that can hopefully work. Disney Plus also is losing so much money, so that's going to be a big focus.

For the next CEO, I agree that someone from the outside is probably a good idea. Matt Ouimet is highly respected in the industry and from his time at Disney. I'm also interested in the Tom Staggs/Kevin Mayer combo, which I know they explored before bringing back Iger. Staggs was also respected and considered a champion of the parks. It's going to be interesting!

It will be interesting to see upcoming changes and who will get the credit... for example, on the Disney Dish they are reporting that park reservations will change or go away shortly. This was being worked on for awhile under Chapek but when announced, Iger will get the credit.

People are worshiping Pete, if he says Josh is great, people believes blindly Josh is great. If Pete says Chapek is the devil, people believes blindly Chapek is devil. I always felt funny that people contradicts themselves for this matter. When Park business is not the way people want, they start saying "Chapek is squeezing, and Josh cannot do what he wants". And If something positive happens, it is based on Josh and Chapek is outside of that decision by saying "CEO is not making the decision for those small issue". Love fest is exactly what happening here.
Not to defend Chapek in any way, but he was dealt a pretty bad hand with Covid. Covid killed Disney and things may or may not have been better with someone else at the helm. I just don't know.

I do think that park reservations need to go.
My opinion is not that Chapek was dealt a bad hand with Covid, I think that the company recently made quick decisions to make money that hurt families going to the parks. Within a year they took Magical Express, implemented Lightning Lane when Fastpass+ looked like it was coming back and took away many of the hotel perks away unless you stay at a deluxe resort. Instead of completely selling off magical express back to Mears, they should have said it would come back at a later time, like the Minnie Vans. I also think that not bringing back the trams is interesting. If I had an older family member it would be less enticing to go walk from the back of the parking lot to the front of the park.

I do think that park reservations need to go.
My opinion is not that Chapek was dealt a bad hand with Covid, I think that the company recently made quick decisions to make money that hurt families going to the parks. Within a year they took Magical Express, implemented Lightning Lane when Fastpass+ looked like it was coming back and took away many of the hotel perks away unless you stay at a deluxe resort. Instead of completely selling off magical express back to Mears, they should have said it would come back at a later time, like the Minnie Vans. I also think that not bringing back the trams is interesting. If I had an older family member it would be less enticing to go walk from the back of the parking lot to the front of the park.
What would Iger have done anyway? My expectation is that Iger speeds up the profitability of D+ and leaves most of the rest of the changes alone while searching for another CEO. The Parks are offsetting the losses.

On another podcast it was mentioned that Chapek already made the decision to remove park reservations after the holidays but it wasn't announced yet. If that is true I hope they don't try to act like it was an Iger decision.

What would Iger have done anyway? My expectation is that Iger speeds up the profitability of D+ and leaves most of the rest of the changes alone while searching for another CEO. The Parks are offsetting the losses.
I would word it a bit more strongly. The parks are being looted and denied vital maintenance funding to pay for a huge deadhead payroll at ABC/ESPN/D+.

On another podcast it was mentioned that Chapek already made the decision to remove park reservations after the holidays but it wasn't announced yet. If that is true I hope they don't try to act like it was an Iger decision.
Reservations aren't really going away. When you buy a ticket you still have to pick your date. They are just simplifying it. Rumours are AP holders will still have to make reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter