Boardwalk Studios Accommodate More Guests Than One Bedroom?

Disney World Dad

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I was on the DVC website just perusing availability and I guess I never noticed before that it shows a Deluxe Studio at Boardwalk as accommodating five Guests while it shows a One Bedroom Villa at Boardwalk as accommodating four Guests.

Why can the studios accommodate more Guests than a One Bedroom Villa at the Boardwalk and is there any other resort like this? Are the square foot sizes of each pretty comparable? It just seems backwards to what I would think and kind of odd.

That's right. There is a small pull down bed under the TV for the 5th sleeping spot in the studio. Not available in the 1 bedroom. However, I've been told in the past by member services, that a 5th guest can be in a 1 bedroom if you provide their own bedding (air mattress?). That was probably about 15 years ago.

I don't know what other resorts are like this. AKV has a chair that pulls out to a bed in the living room of the 1 bed, so that 1 bed sleeps 5.

Hi all,

I was on the DVC website just perusing availability and I guess I never noticed before that it shows a Deluxe Studio at Boardwalk as accommodating five Guests while it shows a One Bedroom Villa at Boardwalk as accommodating four Guests.

Why can the studios accommodate more Guests than a One Bedroom Villa at the Boardwalk and is there any other resort like this? Are the square foot sizes of each pretty comparable? It just seems backwards to what I would think and kind of odd.
There are a lot of DVC villas like that. Boulder Ridge is one. The one bedroom is a lot larger, the studio is not the same size. If you are DVC or renting points, as @AdamsMum mentioned, you can bring an air mattress for a 5th person in a 1BR, you will need to provide your own bedding. If booking a 1BR for cash in one of those resorts, you cannot have 5 people.

Hi all,

It does seem odd, though. I've had it explained so many times and I know why it is, but there's still a part of me that just won't understand why a bigger place holds fewer people.

It does seem odd, though. I've had it explained so many times and I know why it is, but there's still a part of me that just won't understand why a bigger place holds fewer people.
Those under-TV Murphy beds were installed in the studios when BWV had its last soft refurb, around 2016. I always thought it was due to the number of guests wanting to stuff 5 people into a studio, and DVCMC figured out a way to do it. They might have added them to the living room of the 1BR villas too, except that the location of the connecting door in the 2BR villas prevented it. Maybe during the to-the-studs full refurb that's coming soon they'll relocate that door, so that 1BR will have sleeping surfaces for 5, but I'm not counting on it. I think that a lot of plumbing would have to be relocated to move that door.

There are a lot of DVC villas like that. Boulder Ridge is one. The one bedroom is a lot larger, the studio is not the same size. If you are DVC or renting points, as @AdamsMum mentioned, you can bring an air mattress for a 5th person in a 1BR, you will need to provide your own bedding. If booking a 1BR for cash in one of those resorts, you cannot have 5 people.

I see that now with Boulder Ridge as well. Just still seems odd that you have more room in the One Bedroom Villa yet can book more Guests in the Deluxe Studios. So much for rollaway beds anymore lol

They should do a murphy bed in the living room under the TV. So many more ppl would want the 1bd….
Yes, that would be wonderful. But unless they move that connecting door as well as the breakfast bar, it just won't fit. And I don't think there are enough dedicated 1BR at BWV for them to put that little Murphy in just those.

See floor plan for 2BR - the connecting door is between the living room and the studio (2nd bedroom).

https://www.disboards.com/media/dvc-floorplan-boardwalk-two-bedroom-jpg.88931/

And I don't think there are enough dedicated 1BR at BWV for them to put that little Murphy in just those.

As a BWV owner who prefers and always requests dedicated 1 bedroom villas, I really hope that they do NOT do that. If they do, they would have to add 3 new booking categories. Not an appealing choice, IMO.

E1404593-B908-4C93-BFDA-5ED6D5A63ADF.jpeg
The red asterisks are 1BRs you can add a 5th person to reservation, but need to supply sleep surface and bedding.

Notice Beach Club - they don’t allow this even though the studio has a higher occupancy than 1BR.

View attachment 766142
The red asterisks are 1BRs you can add a 5th person to reservation, but need to supply sleep surface and bedding.

Notice Beach Club - they don’t allow this even though the studio has a higher occupancy than 1BR.
And this is for DVC only, not cash reservations. Great information!

View attachment 766142

Pretty sure that chart is wrong for HHI, studios sleep 4 but 1br sleep 5.

And its not a BYOB, theres a foldout chair bed to give you 5 sleep surfaces.

Pretty sure that chart is wrong for HHI, studios sleep 4 but 1br sleep 5.

And its not a BYOB, theres a foldout chair bed to give you 5 sleep surfaces.
I think you might be right - that’s what studio and 1BR floor plans show.

HHI is refurbing this summer. Wonder if any occupancy changes happen?

Are the BWV currently being updated and if so are they adding the Murphy bed to the studios or will there still be a sleeper sofa option?

Are the BWV currently being updated and if so are they adding the Murphy bed to the studios or will there still be a sleeper sofa option?
BWV has hard refurb scheduled this year (I think starting around Sept). Beach Club soft refurb just updated to the murphy beds, likely that happens for BWV studios too.

BWV has hard refurb scheduled this year (I think starting around Sept). Beach Club soft refurb just updated to the murphy beds, likely that happens for BWV studios too.
Thank you! We are looking to go in Feb. 2024 and were looking to stay possibly at the Beach Club or Boardwalk!

As a BWV owner who prefers and always requests dedicated 1 bedroom villas, I really hope that they do NOT do that. If they do, they would have to add 3 new booking categories. Not an appealing choice, IMO.
And I fully agree with you!

Thank you! We are looking to go in Feb. 2024 and were looking to stay possibly at the Beach Club or Boardwalk!
We don't know the dates for the BWV refurb yet, but ALL BW view villas are blocked from being booked from about mid-September [edited to add - until mid-November], and then ALL Standard view villas are blocked from booking from just after New Years until early March. So it's expected that some sort of exterior renovations will be occuring at those times, and furthermore it's hoped that the interior refurbs will happen at the same time. So availability at BWV for Feb. 2024 is less than normal, and the rooms that will be available then may or may not be refurbed.

All that is to explain why you might want to try for BCV, where all villas will be refurbed already, vs. BWV where they might or might not be refurbed.

Last edited:
We don't know the dates for the BWV refurb yet, but ALL BW view villas are blocked from being booked from about mid-September, and then ALL Standard view villas are blocked from booking from just after New Years until early March. So it's expected that some sort of exterior renovations will be occuring at those times, and furthermore it's hoped that the interior refurbs will happen at the same time. So availability at BWV for Feb. 2024 is less than normal, and the rooms that will be available then may or may not be refurbed.

All that is to explain why you might want to try for BCV, where all villas will be refurbed already, vs. BWV where they might or might not be refurbed.

Good advice. BC at least has a shot especially later in the month.

My fingers are crossed for BW View late December. Would love if interiors were refurbed before our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter