Black tap strategy

We went last week for fairly early lunch. We arrived around 11:30 and only waited about five min. I thought the food was great. The ranch type dressing and the fried pickles were fabulous. We split the pizza burger and I thought it was yummy. The only thing that was not too impressive was actually the shake. I mean they look amazing, and it is a great picture opportunity, but it tasted just normal and really was way too much for even two people. I think it is a great addition to the area and plan to eat there again when I return to Disneyland

We ate there on a Sunday at about 3pm two weeks ago. The line wasn't out the door, but took about 10 minutes to get through and we found a table for 6 inside. I think if you go at on off time you will be just fine!

We have been twice and love it. The shakes were the only thing we were not impressed by. They continue to tweak their practices, for the better in my opinion. Even when the line is long it moves quickly and you get your food quickly once ordered.

As always, eating at off times helps.

If you want a crazy shake for dessert, don't order it when you order your food. You can order them from the roaming servers while you are eating when you are ready for them.

My thought is that all these expensive additions to Downtown Disney were built with the thought of that 5 star hotel being built nearby. Whoopsie.

Last edited:

We went there a few weeks ago and ate there for lunch. We loved it. Our food was really good. My daughter ordered a shake and it came right before the food, but that is when we expected it. We consider the shake a drink with the meal and not a dessert. Maybe that is where the confusion comes in--some people think of shakes as drinks with meals and others as desserts. Still, they should honor your wishes and bring it out later.

That seems to be the consensus of most of the reviews I've seen. Also the reviews seem pretty ehh on Ballast Point.
We loved Ballast Point so much that we ended up eating there a second time instead of doing Black Tap as planned cuz their line was crazy long. I’m vegetarian & can’t drink booze so feel free to ignore me raving over how amazing my food and drinks were but the meat and beer consuming husband was also greatly impressed by everything at Ballast Point. We did a table not bar, had a short wait until we were texted back each time & food came fast and fresh, had good service during our meal. What are ppl not liking about it?

My thought is that all these expensive additions to Downtown Disney were built with the thought of that 5 star hotel being built nearby. Whoopsie.
Really? I feel like the type of clientele that could’ve afforded that very expensive looking five-star hotel are the type of people that would also eat in the very expensive high class restaurants inside of that hotel, as well as places like Napa Rose and Carthay Circle but not so much giant American portions of cheap ingredients on a milkshake and hamburger. I don’t think ppl dropping a grand or more for a couple nights are doing it so they can get some pop tarts or Oreos from the grocery store stuck onto the side of their shake with a can of spray whip cream. Maybe I’m wrong though.

OT a little. We really like Splitzville, but their prices are really starting to kill them. We were there Saturday night and it was dead. In comparison I thought Black Taps prices seemed pretty reasonable

We loved Ballast Point so much that we ended up eating there a second time instead of doing Black Tap as planned cuz their line was crazy long. I’m vegetarian & can’t drink booze so feel free to ignore me raving over how amazing my food and drinks were but the meat and beer consuming husband was also greatly impressed by everything at Ballast Point. We did a table not bar, had a short wait until we were texted back each time & food came fast and fresh, had good service during our meal. What are ppl not liking about it?

The service is a big negative with a lot of people at Ballast Point's Anaheim location. The food is not what a lot of people expect from them. I've been to their San Diego location many times and it is fantastic in every way. Hopefully they can get the Anaheim location running like their Little Italy location but for now I've read way too many bad reviews about them.

Last edited:
Black Tap is quick service, so you can gauge how long of a wait it is by how long the line outside is. Once inside the doors, the line isn't that much longer before you're at the register placing your order. We were there the week before Memorial Day, and got in line when it was about mid-way back along the windows - maybe 1-2 feet before the end of the ropes? I would say we spent a solid 15-20 minutes in line before ordering, but I thought that was relatively quick. We had no trouble getting a seat after placing our orders, and our shakes came out about 10 minutes later. The food came out shortly after that. We decided to eat here during lunch, assuming it would be less busy than dinner time, but it was honestly about the same. We were pleased with how efficiently they moved the line along and how quickly the kitchen was cranking things out.

We thought the shakes and food were good, but for as insane as it all looks, nothing we ate blew our minds. I would eat again though if the line wasn't bad. We also had an enjoyable meal at Ballast Point, but the choices there are more "normal". We made an Open Table reservation there.

I get the photo op appeal, but how does one even eat theses crazy shakes?? Seriously...do they give you a bowl to put everything in to actually eat it?

There were small plates sitting near the drink dispensers when we were there, so we each took one of those and "disassembled" our shakes so we could eat the pieces. The shake itself is normal to drink once all the stuff is removed. The stuff on the sides of the glass is stuck there with frosting, so that was easy to scrape at too.

I'm going to check out the menu here. My friend went here and her family loved it as well. If not this trip maybe I'll check it out when we come back in October. We do like to try new places.

Edited to add: I love your name... my real name is Janine and I have a friend that calls me J9. As in Ja - Nine...lol

Last edited:
So we ended up going for lunch and there was a line outside the door but the line was just for ordering food. The wait was about 15 minutes. Once we ordered our food there was someone waiting to assign us a table and the food came pretty fast. The pizza burger was amazing as always and the shake was yummy as well. We has the Churro chocolate taco shake. We shared both items and really enjoyed eating here.

Attachments

• 20190712_131748.jpg
    20190712_131748.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190712_131413.jpg
    20190712_131413.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 20

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter