Biscuit's Grand Adventure 2 - Adventures in Opposite - 12/3 Another Update!

Sorry all for the horribly late replies! I appreciate your kind words!

sounds like a great morning and some quality 1 on 1 time with your daughter. While meet and greets and other events create some great memories it does seem to often be the rides - and their reaction to said rides - that create some of the best and strongest
Agreed!

You definitely got quite a bit done including a number of headliners which is a great use of EMH I'd say ... though truly a bummer the issues you had with the PP.
Photo Pass and I just have never seemed to play well together.

That is a great job by Tahlia to catch the guys hat. I hope she shrugged it off as no big deal/something she does all the time ;)
I was certainly impressed.

That is an excellent EMH morning if I ever heard one! I am impressed by how much you were able to accomplish!
It was AWESOME! That was about the most fun I've ever had at the MK.

Fantastic trip report! Very exciting that you could be going back twice in one year! :cool1:

"Forget the characters, the theming, the music, the food, the attractions, the fireworks, and the pressed pennies. To me, THAT is the magic of the Magic Kingdom; that rare moment when my own childhood converged with that of my daughter."

Yes! This is what it is all about. I love when I can share something from my childhood Disney experience with my kids. I grew up near Disneyland and my kids have gone to Disney World mostly but those times when you see that connection is amazing. Makes it all worth while...My favorite thing now :goodvibes
I couldn't agree more!

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure 2 - well...I forgot. It’s been that long.

It seems rather pointless to me to try to continue to report on a trip which has been over for 18th months now; however, I did promise to finish this and as I hate unfinished TR’s, I have made up my mind to try to bring some sort of wrap up to this narrative. I will try to wrap it up quickly with a more generalized description of the triumphs and catastrophes (NoCanyon) that defined the rest of our trip.

Since my last update of this TR, we actually wound up returning to WDW for a whirlwind weekend cheer competition. Then my entire work life exploded with a new departmental structure, new location, new director, and whole barrel of accompanying drama. Things are slowly returning to normal around here and I hope to get some updates done quickly in the coming days.

The bad thing about writing a TR more than a year later is that some of the details fade. I read the end of my last installment and saw the “Next Time” tag and couldn’t for the life of me remember what I was talking about. BUT then I found the photos, and it all came back to me.

Unfortunately.

(I think I repressed that particular memory on purpose.)

But that’s getting ahead of myself.

As a brief recap, I left off on the morning of our first full day. The sun was bright, the birds were singing, and Tahlia and I had just completed a wildly successful EMH at the Magic Kingdom. After docking at The Lodge, Nick and Tammy’s crew steered towards the main lobby to head to their room and change. (As a mental refresher – their room was located just above Whispering Canyon on the 5th floor and the girls were gussied up as princeses.) Tahlia and I headed to our room which was near the boat dock and met up with First Lady Biscuit and Hailee.

Gussying up ensued.

Time passed.

Soon we were back on the boat and puttering across the lagoon on our way to more Magic Kingdom mayhem.

IMG_6874Small_zpsvvocc6wi.jpg

IMG_6871Small_zpsnxhns3vu.jpg

Our first order of the day was to redeem our Fastpass+ for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. At the time of our trip, this attraction had only been running for a month. All through our drive across Florida we had been inundated with billboards singing the praises of this new and wondrous masterpiece of Disney Imagineering.

All during our morning EMH, this fact had played significantly in our favor. The vast majority of those entering the park had hurled themselves into the standby line for this attraction, swelling it to an unconscionable wait time. This left the rest of park much emptier than it normally would have been. Upon disembarking at the boat dock, and strolling through the swelling ranks at the turnstile, it seemed this phenomenon was still running strong. Stretched from Town Square to Cinderella’s Castle was a withering line of humanity, all surging forward with great power and determination.

And then there was this guy.

IMG_6875small_zps26mu09rm.jpg

He was just happy to be there. He was hosing folks down with a mister fan as they walked by.

Because our Fastpass+ reservation window was just about to open, we joined with them and enjoyed the waves of myopic optimism that rose from their innocent and clueless proclamations that they were going to get in line for it now “while the line was still short.”

The declarations of despair as people rounded the corner and saw the 240 minute wait time were downright hard to hear. Not so hard that I gave up my FP+ mind you. Let’s not mistake empathy with insanity. But still, I did feel bad for them. I wound up recommending to one group that they come back late in the evening. (Touring Plans had the best wait time projected during the 2nd showing of MSEP.) My good deed done for the day, it was time to cash in our passes and see what this attraction was all about.

There were about 10 folks lined up at the initial Fastpass Entrance, but the line never really stopped moving. Once we were past the podium, we didn’t encounter another line until we were inside the loading cave / mine looking area…thing.

IMG_0764Small_zps2salern2.jpg

We loaded up and were soon rumbling around the track at semi-faster-than stroller speed. Up until this point, I had resisted the urge to watch online videos of this attraction. I had heard some mixed reviews, and wasn’t sure what all the ride entailed.

Turns out it didn’t entail a whole lot.

I kept waiting for the ride to get going, and yet it never did.

When we got back to the station, we all had that “What just happened?” look on our faces and my brother in law and I both said the exact same thing: “If I had waited 4 hours for that, I would be SO mad right now.”

For all the hype and hoopla I was expecting more.

And yet, more was not to be had.

Congratulating ourselves on not wasting unholy amounts of park time on the thing, we quickly exited and headed to grab some chow. Nick’s crew was still pretty full from breakfast, but our gang was full blown HAWNGREH! Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café was our destination of choice, both because we like the food and because it was a short walk from the Seven Dwarf’s Monstrosi-T exit.

IMG_0766small_zps0cxp7isl.jpg

A pulled pork BBQ sandwich was just what the doctor ordered, and my belly grumblings were soon satiated. With lunch firmly under our belts, we set out to partake of the flying pachyderm. I speak of course of Dumbo. This was my first venture into this section of Fantasyland and the dual spinner concept and setup was pretty nifty. I like that they were able to take a classic, make the line shorter, and update it without completely ruining it.

The standby line was moving fairly quickly and within 15 min we were spinning around in a generally up and down manner.

DSC_0557%20800x536_zpsiltrdocj.jpg

By the time we came in for a landing, the heat was already starting to wear on us so we made our way towards some AC.

IMG_6886small_zpsdqdezrra.jpg

We soon arrived at Hailee’s favorite attraction from our 2009 trip: “Donald’s Butt”. (Known to civilians as Mickey’s Philharmagic.)

IMG_0773small_zps6zyws6bg.jpg

This is one of those attractions that I just enjoy. I’m not sure what exactly it is about the thing, but I always leave smiling. The girls all giggled and squealed throughout the presentation and it a nice break from the heat outside.

Speaking of the baby Biscuit’s, as we were still shuffling towards the exit, they were clamoring for a ride on It’s a Small World. I was far less thrilled with this prospect, but they were eager so that’s where we headed. The good thing about this attraction is that it loads quickly and has AC pumping out the cool stuff.

IMG_6906small_zpsgwvu4jxw.jpg

Tahlia pointed out a few things and invoked a reference to Kingdom Keepers so we managed to keep ourselves adequately preoccupied during the journey.

IMG_6900small_zps6nreqxrb.jpg

Once our world was no longer small, the girls took a spin on the carousel while I wandered around a bit. I spotted the Fairy Godmother on the side of the castle, and as soon as the girls were done oscillating animals in a circular pattern…again…we headed over for them to say howdy.

IMG_6908small_zpsn1ibh5pi.jpg

By this point in time the heat was nearing nuclear and the crowds were starting to grow. We decided that the time had come to seek out some cool air and lighter crowds. Nick and Tammy were looking for something specific to purchase, but for the life of me I don’t recall what. We decided to head down Main Street and check out the Emporium for a bit before heading back to the Lodge to chill until suppertime.

IMG_691small_zpslig2igqc.jpg

IMG_6916small_zpsdekoyybv.jpg

After perusing the shop for a good chunk of time, we returned to the dock and head back to my new favorite place where I enjoyed a nice quiet afternoon nap. (Right after I noticed the smudge on my lens that is responsible for the foggy patch in the above pictures and then had myself a moment.) What the girls did during my nap time remains a mystery to this day. All I know is, I slept hard and awoke hungry. Which was convenient as we were about to head to dinner. Unfortunately, the meal would leave much to be desired.

Next Time on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure “Old Grey Meat, She Ain’t What She Used to Be”.
Click Here to Read The Next Episode

Last edited:
Good to have you back on here GB, your readers are still here. :)

You might've been just a little rough on the ol' Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but yes, it doesn't really classify as a "thrill ride". And if it had been around since the park opened, the lines would probably rival Jungle Cruise or something like that, not 4 hours worth of waiting. I think it got a little over-hyped.

Hmm, I wonder what restaurant is now serving old grey meat?

Good to have you back on here GB, your readers are still here. :)
Good to be back!

You might've been just a little rough on the ol' Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, but yes, it doesn't really classify as a "thrill ride". And if it had been around since the park opened, the lines would probably rival Jungle Cruise or something like that, not 4 hours worth of waiting. I think it got a little over-hyped.

Hmm, I wonder what restaurant is now serving old grey meat?
It was definitely the hype that came into play. Having it plastered everywhere with the word "Thrilling" and a 4 hour wait, I was expecting more. I would do it again, but not if the wait was +20 min.

Great to see you back on the DisBoards GreatBiscuit!
Sounds like a great first day (so far). I can see why 7DMT does not live up to the hype...it is a very short ride I feel. Much shorter than BTMRR. I still love it though, because I love Snow White. :)

Sounds like you have a lot going on right now! I am happy to see you back writing a little bit though! My daughter dreams of going to WDW for cheerleading!! Luckily right now we are keeping it a the recreational level, but the place where she takes tumbling has two competition teams and she is dying to try out. Her rec squad made it to state this year (in two days actually) and she can hardly stand the excitement.

I would have totally agreed with your assessment of 7DMT last year (those wait times were CRAZY), but now that the hype has died down a bit I like it a lot more. We surprisingly rode it in Nov. 4 or 5 times, which I completely didn't anticipate. The longest we waited in line for it was 25 minutes though, and that would be the max time I would wait for it. The kids were all about the MK roller coasters this trip, and there isn't a lot to choose from.

I'm IN!

Gives me something not stressful to do while Mellyman is all jacked up on pain meds after his surgery! (successful tho!)

Cheers, Mel

:moped:

Great to see you back on the DisBoards GreatBiscuit!
Thanks!

Sounds like a great first day (so far). I can see why 7DMT does not live up to the hype...it is a very short ride I feel. Much shorter than BTMRR. I still love it though, because I love Snow White. :)
It was a great day. I will ride it again. Now that I know what it is, I'll be better prepared for it.

Sounds like you have a lot going on right now! I am happy to see you back writing a little bit though! My daughter dreams of going to WDW for cheerleading!! Luckily right now we are keeping it a the recreational level, but the place where she takes tumbling has two competition teams and she is dying to try out. Her rec squad made it to state this year (in two days actually) and she can hardly stand the excitement.

I would have totally agreed with your assessment of 7DMT last year (those wait times were CRAZY), but now that the hype has died down a bit I like it a lot more. We surprisingly rode it in Nov. 4 or 5 times, which I completely didn't anticipate. The longest we waited in line for it was 25 minutes though, and that would be the max time I would wait for it. The kids were all about the MK roller coasters this trip, and there isn't a lot to choose from.
I'm sure once the hype is over and the lines die down, I'll feel better about it.

I'm IN!

Gives me something not stressful to do while Mellyman is all jacked up on pain meds after his surgery! (successful tho!)

Cheers, Mel

:moped:
Howdy and :welcome: Give my regards to Mellyman! Those pain meds are good stuff. ESPECIALLY when you combine them with muscle relaxers! (Raise you hand if you had a traumatic injury recently) :wave2:

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure, misters were blown, elephants were flown, and fat feller took him a nap.

The hour of dining was fast approaching and the combination of our morning walk and my restful slumber led me to awaken with a tenacious appetite. (If you are picking up on the theme that WDW makes me hungry, you earn a gold star for astuteness. As a backstory sidebar, I also get hungry in movie theaters, weddings, church services, and the post office.)

On our prior adventure, we had a meal at The Whispering Canyon Café. It was during that trip that Tracy first saw and fell in love with the Wilderness Lodge, and our meal here on the first go-round was great. I have seen reviews of this place going down over the years, but since we were staying there, and since our previous experience was pleasant enough, I decided to give it a go.

We still had time to kill so we dropped by and perused the Merchantile for a bit, then hung out in the Lobby of The Lodge while waiting for our pager to go off.

IMG_6931Small_zpskfazvcsx.jpg

IMG_6955Small_zpsezfuidov.jpg

One of the first things I noticed about this place compared to the last time we visited was the size of the crowd. Previously we had one of the first dinner seatings and the restaurant was fairly empty for the bulk of our meail. This time, we were a good 2 and hours into dinner service and the place was full blown packed.

Somewhere, among the rusted relics of yesteryear is the giant the stack O’ receipts from this trip, but since I have no clue where that is, I can’t tell you who our server was. She was good, not great, but…well….good.

We ordered up a Canyon Skillet for the adults and Mac & Cheese for the kids and settled in to await our vittles. We hadn’t been seated too long when the horse race began so we sent the girls to participate, whether we they wanted to or not. (Not really mind you…and I’m pretty sure Tahlia abstained given that I have no photos of her participating in the equestrian revelry.)

IMG_6980Small_zpsz0tswavv.jpg

IMG_6979Small_zpsxo9lwfax.jpg

Once the mayhem cleared the floor, our drinks came out, followed closely by this:

IMG_6993Small_zps45whvvbw.jpg

It wasn’t too bad as far as salads go.

The rest of the food, was fair to bland.

First there was this:

IMG_6996Small_zpsv8redukn.jpg

Hailee HATED it. I took a bit and didn’t blame her. Macaroni shouldn’t take that long to chew.

Some of the meat (the chicken) was okay. It wasn’t great, but it was just okay. Some was just plain bad. The beef was a dried up greyish conglomeration of inedibility, and I as the meal wore on, I found myself becoming more and more irritated.

IMG_6999Small_zpsmxgglvyz.jpg

That’s my angry face. And my happy face. And my amused face. And my bored face. Basically I only have the one face. There is no lack of rants on these boards about the change in quality of food at WDW, or about the inconsistencies from meal to meal. I’ll spare you another one, but suffice it to say Whispering Canyon Café is on our “Breakfast Only” list.

The others thought the food was “okay”. No one was full blown in love with the place.
I don't know if it is because we were further into dinner service, if they had a bad night, or if they have just gone downhill. But it just wasn't what is was before.
I think knowing that it was nowhere near as good as it had been on my prior visit just made it more irritating to me than it might otherwise have been.

We muddled through it though and the kids all seemed to enjoy it. (Hailee was much happier after we swapped her entrée to the canyon skillet.)

IMG_6997Small_zps7pvprssk.jpg

IMG_6995Small_zpsmzbsl87r.jpg

Cutting our loses, we headed back up to Nick and Tammy’s room to grab our bags, which of course meant Nick and I had 10 min to kill while the girls formed a neat and orderly potty train. I snapped a couple of more photos of the lobby while we waited.

IMG_7046Small_zps3nimglgk.png

IMG_7043Small_zps41b4nkpf.jpg

IMG_7051Small_zps8wjqew8z.jpg

I truly do love that resort!

With all minds and other relevant body parts clear, we headed back down to the dock to catch the boat over to the MK. We had a couple of more attractions to take in that evening and before long, the pain of a bad meal was replaced by the enjoyment of an MK evening.

We waited about ten minutes for a boat to arrive, and were soon puttering our way back across the lagoon.

IMG_7056Small_zpswxd1pcst.jpg

I don’t know what it is about that boat ride, and I know I have mentioned it before, but it just bears repeating; riding the resort boat to the Magic Kingdom was one of my favorite things about this trip. Maybe I’m just getting older, maybe I was abducted by tugboat aliens as a child. I don’t know. I just loved taking this trip, especially in the evenings when the air was cooling down and the all the lights were on around the lagoon.

IMG_7065Small_zps019ikl7o.jpg

Before too long we were back at the park and ready to tackle an evening of adventure and mayhem.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:
We headed first to Fantasyland for a New-To-Us experience: Enchanted Tales with Belle. I thought the girls would get a kick out of it, and the three younger ones seemed to enjoy it. Hailee wound up being Mrs. Potts, Sammie was the wardrobe / dresser thing, and Nicky was something I can’t make out in the dark photos.

IMG_7085small_zpsszc3jviz.jpg

DSC_0574Small_zpsvpi5aufh.jpg

Tahlia elected to sit this one out.

One thing about this trip that really began to stand out to me was that my girls are growing up. As a parent, it certainly brings mixed emotions. I LOVED seeing their reactions to characters and the Disney “magic”, (gag me for using this cliché but I figure it makes a point) and yet I loved introducing them to the big-girl rides this time around. I digress…but not really when you think about it.

According to my grainy phone picks we then hit up Peter Pan’s Flight (which we had an FP+ for) then visited the world’s fanciest outhouse.

IMG_7119Small_zpsvmytkbem.jpg

Our next stop was one I wasn’t too sure about; we were going to try the girls out on The Haunted Mansion. I really wasn’t too worried about how my two girls would take it, but I wasn’t sure about my nieces. Tahlia didn’t care for it AT ALL when she was 7, so I hoped it would not be too traumatic for them.

IMG_7120small_zpsbvfd8uep.jpg

All four girls let fly a chorus of squeals before it was all said and done, but they all enjoyed it and walked out smiling. Wishes was in full swing when we left, but we had plans to see it another time so we cut through Fantasyland. It’s pretty cool to be walking back there when you have the big shells on one side and the castle flares on the other.

Why cut through Fantasyland? We were heading back to this place:

IMG_0788small_zpstclqtywb.jpg

Awwwwwww Yeah. My favorite spot in the whole Magic Kingdom. The glorious mountain O’Space. The touring plans app listed a 20 min wait time which was pretty well dead on.

IMG_7127Small_zpsnzbjr8z0.jpg

Though Tahlia and I had already enjoyed a spin that morning, we were just as eager as the rest of the crew to hop on and try it again. The younger girls were not all that certain about sitting in a seat by themselves, but once they got over their initial nervousness, they had a blast! Once the ride was ended, they were all exited and threw out a multitude of “That Was Awesome!” proclamations. We took another ride on the moving sidewalk and headed back down to the giftshop.

IMG_7131Small_zps6xxfbuxy.jpg

IMG_7132Small_zpsdczg3odp.jpg

We took a moment to smash us up some coins for the girls’ collection, and then browsed a bit before strolling out to enjoy the rest of the evening.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Last edited:
It was time to start winding the day down. By this point it was nearly 11 PM and even with the nap, I was getting tired. We were content to call it night and began strolling back towards Main Street. I love the parks at night, in particular Tomorrowland at night so we weren’t in any huge rush. Would we make it to the exit quickly or be delayed by the girls’ finding something to partake of?

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words so I will leave you with these:

IMG_7133_zpssf4qj4yf.jpg

IMG_7136Small_zpsfunrprga.jpg

IMG_7137Small_zps4vwvqkss.jpg

IMG_7141Small_zpsnjefbrma.jpg

IMG_7149Small_zpsirviyy8f.jpg

IMG_7155Small_zpszkj6vlww.jpg

IMG_7165Small_zpspwh3ddsl.jpg

IMG_7161Small_zpsm90svlkj.jpg

IMG_7170Small_zpsyvh3zcuh.jpg

IMG_7173Small_zpsmrix2dj8.jpg

We took the boat back to the Lodge where general cleaning and scrubbing commenced. Snacking, charging followed in short order and I checked our FP+ times before heading to bed. It has been a great day. I would even say it was probably the best day of the trip. But you can’t live the same day forever. Eventually you have to move on to the next one. No matter what peril it might bring.

Next Time on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure: What up Cuz!

Last edited:
I've been lurking, and enjoying your trip report, so wanted to say hi. :) Love the way you tell your story! Enjoyed reading about you and your daughter doing EMH in MK (and avoiding SDMT, because.... duh. Heh).

Since my last update of this TR, we actually wound up returning to WDW for a whirlwind weekend cheer competition. Then my entire work life exploded with a new departmental structure, new location, new director, and whole barrel of accompanying drama. Things are slowly returning to normal around here and I hope to get some updates done quickly in the coming days.

Great that you squeeze din that trip. As for the job, I had no idea I worked with you!!!! :rotfl2: I can totally relate as we have had similar things here which have limited my DIS time.

I don’t know what it is about that boat ride, and I know I have mentioned it before, but it just bears repeating; riding the resort boat to the Magic Kingdom was one of my favorite things about this trip. Maybe I’m just getting older, maybe I was abducted by tugboat aliens as a child. I don’t know. I just loved taking this trip, especially in the evenings when the air was cooling down and the all the lights were on around the lagoon.

When I stayed at the Lodge ( the trip report I still writing so don't feel bad bad about still doing yours), felt the exact same way. Such a wonderful way to begin and end your day.

Except for dinner the day seemed wonderful. Lots of wonderful memories right there. :goodvibes

I've been lurking, and enjoying your trip report, so wanted to say hi. :) Love the way you tell your story! Enjoyed reading about you and your daughter doing EMH in MK (and avoiding SDMT, because.... duh. Heh).
Howdy & :welcome: Thanks for reading along and taking a break from lurkdom! That was SUCH a fun morning!

Great that you squeeze din that trip. As for the job, I had no idea I worked with you!!!! :rotfl2: I can totally relate as we have had similar things here which have limited my DIS time.
Just proves a universal truth.....People be crazy.

When I stayed at the Lodge ( the trip report I still writing so don't feel bad bad about still doing yours), felt the exact same way. Such a wonderful way to begin and end your day.

Except for dinner the day seemed wonderful. Lots of wonderful memories right there. :goodvibes
I must visit it again. Such a cool spot!

It was Whispering Canyon?! I've read some reports that it was going downhill a little and sounds like you've confirmed it. Well, I'm glad that I got to experience it a few years ago, in that case.

The lobby in Wilderness Lodge is quite a sight to behold.

For some stupid reason I failed to subscribe and since I don't regularly "scroll" the boards like I used to be able to do, I wasn't aware that this was being updated. Forgive me, Sir Matt.

I wasn't quite as far behind as I'd thought, but did love the last couple of updates. Sad to hear Whispering Canyon wasn't all that great. At one time, years ago, it was a place we'd have loved to have squeezed in but never did. Now I have no real desire. But your pix are amazing as always! Great job on the MSEP, the Lodge and I love the boat at sunset!

Visit my PTR when you can, long-time (I hesitate to use the word "old") friend! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter