Birthday Party food help

Samandmom

<font color=purple>Curvy WISHer<br><font color=tea
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some ideas of cheap and easy things to make for my son's birthday party. The party will be outside with a pool. I am trying to go cheap because we told him he could have two parties this year. The first one will be at a local indoor kids gym with his class mates from school. The other will be with family and close friends. (like we always have) So since the first party will be a bit pricey I'm hoping to do the other pretty cheap. I already plan on making his cake. Probaly some boxed brownies and I have a tub of frozen cookie dough to make. For food I only thought of Pasta Salad so far (pasta with italian dressing, and veggies) I have thought of hamburgers and hot dogs but I hate when we have cookouts and people stand over the grill waiting for food. (sorry just a pet peeve of mine :crazy: )
Any help and ideas are aprreciated :thumbsup2

How about sandwich platters and pinwheels? That would be a great alternative to the dreaded "grill wait". I would do things that you could premake. You could do sandwiches- Ham&cheese, Turkey and cheese, chicken salad, pineapple and cream cheese (my nanny's fav for party's). You could cut the crusts off and cut them in 4's or diagonal. Kids love that. I think you are on the right track with the pasta salad. When I've done my snadwich entertaining before I have experimented with different bread- tukey&swiss on raisen bread for example. then I put out condiments in bright colored bowls and let the kids dip there own. I love easy! And for a pool party, really, what more do you need? :cheer2: Good LUck! Let us know what you decide on popcorn::

How about a taco bar?
You can premake the ingredients, then just put them out in containers and no one needs to be by the grill.
You could have both hard shell tacos, and soft ones with grilled steak which you can premake and then slice, fish, chicken, and ground beef.

To add onto the list, you could have all the different toppings, chips and salsa, margaritas, a bowl of fruit punch, fresh fruits, and your desserts.

I love the taco bar idea! For my daughters 5th B-day party she wanted to choose the menu. I made a huge tray of homemade mac n cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. I bought cold cut trays for the adults but they all wanted the kids food. Lasagna and salad is always good. You can make it ahead of time and everyone usually likes it. For dessert I set up a make your own sundae bar. I use a veggie tray paltter and fill each section with different treats. Have fun.
Tara

Thanks for the replies everyone. :thumbsup2
I ended up doing hamburgers and hot dogs. I got the ground beef for sale for $1.59 per lb. The hot dogs were buy one get two free. (Kahns brand) The grill wait was not bad at all. We have a new home and on the deck of this new home its very sunny in the afternoon, so nobody hung out on the deck while DH cooked. :cheer2: I also did the pasta salad with dressing and canned baked beans. I made the cake like I mentioned.

Thanks again

Dogs and Burgers are always a hit! Hope the party went well. I always keep baked beans and pasta salad in the pantry as most people like both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter