• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big runDisney announcement coming in April

Chiming in late with a few thoughts...

Yes, I am among the disappointed. Not because it is on the west coast -- it makes perfect sense to have another race out there. The timing is a bummer, of course, as it implicitly excludes almost everyone who is going to marathon weekend. But what really bugs me is the theme.

I ran the Princess this past year. I was adamently opposed to it because it took away the Minnie, because princesses hold little appeal to me, and because I do not much like female-geared/male-excluding activities. I agree with all the previous posters who feel it is just reverse discrimination, and if the were a race geared to men that explicitly excluded women from competing on equal footing and/or strongly discouraged female participation, there would be a huge outcry, and probably a lawsuit.

But this year, there was a convergence of forces (including spring training and practical considerations that kept us from going to marathon weekend) that had me at WDW the week before the race, so I decided to just go for it. I even wore a small tiara. And I enjoyed the race. But not because it was a female thing. In fact, tbh, I found some of the female-slanted aspects down-right embarrassing, and anything but empowering. As a woman runner/athlete, I do not need the promise of shirtless princes or men in spandex on trampolines to get me through a rough stretch (I survived 2 unmediacted labors and eliveries -- i can make it up the hill by the Contemporary). If my husband or sons ran a race and were promised girls on trampolines at the top of the hill, I would not be amused, and again I am sure there would be a whole lot of complaining. If women should not be objectified, neither should men, even if it is done as a tongue-in-cheek bit of good fun.

What most bothers me about these is that, well, it is Disney, a family-oriented entity. These races are not just a few hours of someone's life. These are destination races, and based on the number of children lined up for the 3:00 parade, hyped up on sugar and disney magic, most people go to disney with their familes. Many families, though certainly not all or even necessarily most, have both male and female members. These events should model the principles of equality and openness (yes, I know Walt is laughing at me somewhere ;) ). At the very least, it should not create an atmosphere where a significant portion of the prospective guests are either specifically or de facto relegated to the role of spectator.

I feel like the media in general has gone too far in trying to empower women and girls in some way by allowing and encouraging the objectification of men. Often, when we are watching tv, one of my sons will comment that if you flipped the genders of the characters, the scene would not be allowed, but because it is a female ogling (or worse) a male, it is okay, and even considered funny. These are shows ranging from iCarly and Phineas and Ferb (if a boy did to Candic what she does to Jeremy, it would be called stalking....) to primetime fare (can you imagine a show that is the reverse of Cougartown?!). It reminds me greatly of the paradigm shift that has occurred in education over the past decade or two. For years, girls were considered to be at a disadvantage. It was seen that teachers and curricula favored boys, and changes were made. The result, unfortunately, was that the pendulum swung too far in the other direction, so that now the skills in which girls developmentally have an advantage (such as language use and organization) are more emphasized. And more boys than ever are floundering. As someone in the field of psychology, I personally do not think that the increased diagnoses of boys with various learning and developmental disabilities during this time period is completely coincidental.

What ever happened to the rejection of the doctrine of "separate but equal" as sanctioning discrimination? If separate is inherently not equal with regard to race, it should equally apply to gender. And here, it is not even separate but equal, because there is no complimentary male-themed race.

I find this trend very troubling. there were many ways this could have been done to court the oh-so-important female market (many of which were mentioned in this thread and very good suggestion) without discouraging (to put it mildly) male participants. And i have told runDisney as much.

Erica

PS--sorry, this got more long-winded than i had meant. Ooopsey

Erica, excellent post. I am glad to see that many of the problems I have with the race do as well. I know that there are a lot of women who do, and have said so here and other places.

That last part is annoying but for me the deal is the bigger picture. It is the double standard. It is knowing darn well that if the race was the exact same but instead of telling men they couldn't be officially recognized they told women the same thing there would be outcry. Knowing the history of the sport and knowing the outcry when it did happen makes me have no doubt.

If they decided to only allow part of the population count based on any other demographic (only white runners counted, only Christian runners counted, only republican runners counted, only straight runners counted) everyone would be up in arms (rightfully) but because the class of people who are excluded are just men no one cares. That is what infuriates me most.

Running isn't other sports. The separation that happens in other sports based on gender doesn't, well shouldn't, happen here. In other sports like baseball, football, or hockey you would also never see a 70 year old man compete with the 20 year old guys that do play but running is different. Here my grandpa or grandma could line up right beside me.

Does anyone think that if Disney only allowed people under a certain age, say 50, to count in the standings there wouldn't be an outcry because it was ageist? Even when they said "but in other sports the old folks can't compete with the young folks" would that argument be accepted or would the response be "but this isn't other sports and this sport isn't like that"?

I know what I think the answer would be.

JMO. All I can do is not support what I see as a sexist organization so no more RunDisney events for me.

I left the whole quote, but I'm focusing on the bolded part...

Frank, I totally agree with you. There are only 2 races NYRR puts on that are only women - the More/Fitness Half which I won't do on principle of I'm not paying $70 for 2 laps around Central Park which I can do for free any time more than anything else; and the Mini 10K which was the race began for women in 1971 back when people still thought running a marathon was bad for women. Yes, I'm doing the second one this year - it's the 40th anniversary of it, and it's a rare chance to do a NYRR race at least a little bit outside of Central Park. But as I said, this is a race that has been going on for 40 years. This year it was voted to be a team points race, so to counteract that and give the mens/predominantly mens teams an equal chance to gain points, the race on Father's Day will be a points race in which only the men's points/times will count in the team competition. Probably because they know there would be an outcry of making what's been a both-gender race one for only men all of a sudden. I don't know if I'll do the Mini after this year...we'll have to see.

OTOH, I'm in Front Runners, and we put on the Pride Run under the NYRR umbrella each June during Pride weekend. While it is to celebrate LGBT runners in particular, we in no way, shape or form say "You must be LGTB to enter this race." We welcome ANYONE who wants to sign up. And everyone gets the same choice of popsicles at the end. :D I can't imagine the outcry if we said "Only LGBT runners are allowed." Besides...how would we know for sure? Hee!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter