Best way to ride the monorail for fun?

foolishmortal91

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

I am going to WDW in just a few days and will be taking two first-timers with me and I'm really excited to show them around. For me, one of the best and most memorable parts of visiting is riding the monorail (I'm a tad obsessed with it). Even though we we won't be staying at a resort or going to a park that has monorail transportation, I'd love to find a way to incorporate it into the trip somehow so they can experience it! In your opinions, what would be the best places to hop on/off? What is the easiest way to get to it? For reference we will be staying at Pop.

TIA :earsboy:

I agree that bus to MK and start there would be the easiest from Pop. Be sure to ride the Epcot monorail from TTC to Epcot, and try to sit forward facing on the right, to get the best view of Spaceship Earth as you approach Epcot. And the view of Epcot as you curve through on the way to the station is something your first-timers should enjoy.

Here's what I would do
Take a bus to MK
Walk over to monorail station, get on resort loop, get off at TTC (this gets you the ride through CR)
Get on the Epcot loop (best loop of all IMO)
Go back to TTC
Get back on resort loop, if you'd like to stop at the other 2 resorts, if not, get on the Express
Get off at MK
Get bus back to Pop

Another idea to toss out there, if you are a walking type
You can now walk to MK from GF. If that appeals to your group get off at GF, walk back to MK, taking a leisurely stroll along the lake

Here's what I would do
Take a bus to MK
Walk over to monorail station, get on resort loop, get off at TTC (this gets you the ride through CR)
Get on the Epcot loop (best loop of all IMO)
Go back to TTC
Get back on resort loop, if you'd like to stop at the other 2 resorts, if not, get on the Express
Get off at MK
Get bus back to Pop

Another idea to toss out there, if you are a walking type
You can now walk to MK from GF. If that appeals to your group get off at GF, walk back to MK, taking a leisurely stroll along the lake
That's about what I was going to suggest. We have been to FL a few times where we did not do any parks but did some shopping at DTD.
What we would do is take a bus from DTD to FW or WL...which ever was there first... make our way over to the dock and hop a launch to CR. Then Monorail to TTC, switch to Epcot loop, back to TTC and then to Poly where we would grab a bus back to DTD.

From the above itinerary might I suggest replacing the last monorail piece (if not resort hopping) and taking the Ferry boat back to the MK.

Opposing viewpoint here - I get motion sick. I would never ride any form of transportation just for fun, including the monorail and the Skyliner. OP, if you're doing the planning, I assume you know your companions well enough to know if this might be an issue for them.

And if you do take the EPCOT monorail run, be sure to point out the old abandoned Walt Disney World airport runway (STOLport). A fun bit of trivia! It's off the left of your forward motion as soon as the monorail straightens out after leaving the TTC station. Looks like a road now, but it you Google Earth it, you will see it noted so that you can offer that bit of WDW trivia ;)

And may never. We asked a skipper on the WL route who said "Unavailable indefinitely."
I'm surprised the Blue route ran as log as it did.
Who here remembers the Gold route (or at least I think that was the color) that ran from FW-CR-Poly?
That's been gone for at least 30 years now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter