• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best strategies for an inexpensive Disney family trip??

TurnDownForWalt

DIS Veteran
My wife & I have two kids (ages 4 and 8) and I'm looking for some tips & tricks on keeping the cost down at Walt Disney World? Specifically cost saving ideas BEFORE & DURING our vacation.

I already know about some of the basic things like bringing your own food into the parks and traveling during slow seasons.. Looking for some deeper cut tips & tricks or hidden Disney gems to save on $$. Thank you!!

Staying offsite is the single biggest money saved. You can find an entire house within 15 minutes of the parks for less than $100 per night.

Also, buying your tickets from an authorized reseller, such as Undercover Tourist, can save you a fair amount

Dont buy souvenirs or limit kids to 1 item each. Dont get sucked into extras.... dessert parties, bobbitty bobbety boo, building light sabers. There are so many things to do in the parks you wont miss them. Eat breakfast in the room. Pack oatmeal, bagels, applesauce, peanut butter, etc. If you order groceries for your room, dont over order and waste your savings. I think you should stay on site at WDW at one of the values. You can take advantage of Disney transportation and not worry about driving and parking fees. Don't rent a car, use magical Express from the airport.

Try the ol' Jack Handey strategy. It will save you the cost of the entire trip.

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that, deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting late.
Jack Handey

Check out the discounted gift card thread. You can save 10-20% off by taking advantage of the tips on that thread - it's an ongoing process not a one time deal, but worth it.

Also go to the resorts board, the discount section and take a look at the Priceline discussion. You can find some great deals, but again it takes time and patience. We are going to WDW in May and found the Dolphin resort for the same price as the Pop - and you cannot beat the Dolphin's location!

When are you planning on going? I got a really good deal on tickets from VisitOrlando the Black Friday-CyberMonday weekend. If going sooner check out Undercover Tourist and keep a very close eye on when prices go up - should be price hike soon. UCT keeps selling tickets at the old price for a few days after the price change.

Skip the park hopper option. That can add $80 per ticket so there is a $320 savings. After 4 days each additional day added is pretty cheap so if you combine skipping park hoppers and a less expensive hotel you can stay longer for about the same amount. If it fits your plan the 4 park magic ticket. It is a good deal but with the limitation of each park once. Definitely get whatever tickets you choose from a reputable reseller or if buying direct from Disney use discounted gift cards.

If you fly I would consider a value resort in large part because by using Magical Express and on site transportation you can save on a rental car, but if you drive I would strongly look at off site options. We typically rent a 2 bedroom condo very close to the park for around $100 a night with a full kitchen and washer/dryer and free parking (although you will have to pay parking at the parks). There are also a couple of nice and reasonably priced hotels nearby with free breakfast and free parking if that works better for your family. All on property resorts charge for parking at the hotel but then you get parking at the parks free so it is pretty close to a wash on parking fees if you drive.

If you plan on flying and can do so on Southwest with a non-stop flight directly into Orlando, seriously consider getting a Southwest credit card. Depending on when you are traveling, you may for able to get at least two round trip tickets for free.

Multi day tickets used to get crazy cheap the longer you stayed. I’m talking $3 a day cheap to add on a day. Not the case anymore. So as others have mentioned, you can get base tickets for 4 days and spend time in every park. If you stay a full week, there are plenty free things to do to fill in the other days. I have such fond memories of our first trip just riding around on Disney transportation. We rode the monorail and at the time you could ride up in front with the driver. They don’t allow that anymore but you get the idea. Now there are the gondolas as well. Just spend time taking in the excitement and the atmosphere.

Multi day tickets used to get crazy cheap the longer you stayed. I’m talking $3 a day cheap to add on a day. Not the case anymore.
It's still only $10 per day after the 5th day (which is what it was 10 years ago)

For us, after paying the 200 down payment.... i made payments $25-50 a week it was paid off in no time and it did not hurt as much...
We staying at all stars for 3 nights / 4 day tickets.. we moved off site for a few days for a beach day etc.

Fly frontier kids free deal if possible.
Bring all breakfast foods and make use of anything extra that is available. We used to stay at all stars I used to go to the quickserve pick up jelly and I used to pack small jif. Bread was like $1 for 2 slices in the baked goods cabinet at the quickserve.. so I would make my kid a pbj to bring to the park for $1vs buying a $6 uncrustable meal. I would also eat kids meals when able to. If you like Soda or lemonade I recommend the resort mug. I went with my family picked 1 up used it the entire trip, and returned 2 weeks later with just my son. The mug was still good (it was on its last 2 days I think) I was able to get his drinks (poured from mug into empty water bottles for the park or room)and refill for mine couple min later to drink when dining. Since it was just him and I on that weekend trip it was incredible how much we saved overall on food/drinks. If you stay at swan or dolphin you get free Dasani everyday, I asked housekeeping for extra bottles and they provided them. Swan and Dolphin are often on Hotwire or Priceline for a great deal. If you are traveling with additional family or friends you can rent DVC points and split the cost. We were once in 2 bedroom at BLT and it fit 9 ppl very well. We have also stayed in a 1 bedroom AKL and BLT with 5ppl but the fifth person had a $15 airmatress that we pack. We started doing this when we realized this option was so much better for us than booking 2 joining rooms at all stars.

Bring "souvenirs" from home. You can buy light up gadgets, t-shirts, etc on Amazon for wayyy cheaper than they sell in the parks. I used to bring those items from home and surprise my kids with them during the trip. They didn't know or care that they weren't actually purchased in the parks!

If you stay onsite, have some basic groceries delivered. Even just buying a case of water from the gift shop will save you a ton of money.

Don't do the dining plan. It's really not designed to save you money. You'll be much better off paying OOP, sharing meals when you can, and bringing some snacks in with you.

Take a close look at a value resort vs. staying offsite. While offsite might seem cheaper at first glance, there are lots of extra costs with parking and rental car (if needed). A value resort with a discount might be close to the same price, plus you can use Disney transportation, take advantage of EMH, 60 day FP, and free magic bands.

Are you planning on flying? Check out the rewards programs for credit cards like Southwest or Jet Blue. That saved us a lot in air fare. You do have to plan about a year ahead of your planned trip.

“you. Even the cheapest Disney hotels cost more than what we typically pay on our travels, but you will save on parking and we enjoyed being in the Disney 'bubble'”

Now that you have to pay to park your car at resorts this isn't really a savings.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an inexpensive WDW vacation, nor are they any secrets to saving big money. What you need to remember, is that throughout your trip, you have choices, and that little expenses can easily fatten up what's already going to be an expensive vacation. My biggest suggestion is to create a spreadsheet and map out costs; the better your spreadsheet skills, the better the information will be. It will also help you understand how each of your choices are interrelated.

For example, if Southwest Airlines charges $125 more than an airline that permits only a full-sized carry-on, that means you're paying $500 in de facto baggage fees on Southwest, NOT "for only $125 more per person, I can bring extra bags on Southwest!" Remember... you can pack light, and pay just $120 round-trip (not $500) for two check bags... or many even nothing. Walmart sells a lot of what you don't bring for cheap, whether it's $1 for six quality toothbrushes, or $2 for a kid's t-shirt that's perfect for a couple days in the hot Florida sun (then disposed of/donated), or $1 for a pair of Tide pods... $50 can easily save you $450. And if either you, your spouse or one of your kids simply cannot live without bringing three outfits per day + extras... now's a time to have a good talk about it.

And remember... there's other transportation options, including driving, taking the Greyhound or even Amtrak (which currently has a BOGO sale going on for the next few days, if you live near a stop on the two trains servicing Orlando - note the AutoTrain is excluded). Perhaps a combination of both -- rental car companies often offer $1 rentals to take the car from Orlando, for example. And Greyhound often has sales where a family of four can travel for $200-$250 total, including one checked bag per person. Always consider all costs -- if you can't get by without bringing a ton of bags, and you live within ~1,300 driving miles, a car may be best for you.

Like I said, decisions are interconnected. There are oodles of beautiful, timeshare resorts that you can rent a room in. And the laundry facilities (reducing checked bags) and kitchens can wind up saving you over $1K.

One last thing: buy tickets at home, especially during clearance sales. I saw a light-up Christmas necklace at Kohl's for $1, which would be perfect to wear at Disney during December. I also saw a Mickey Mouse waffle maker for $7, which would be perfect for making morning waffles (and can be re-used). I've seen plenty of Disney coloring and activity books at Walmart for as little as a quarter. There were tons of little girls Disney princess outfits for $2-$5 (marked down from as much as $20). All of these are inexpensive ideas of similar items to bring with you. NEVER give in to temptation at Disney. Whether it's snacks, treats or souvenirs... these things are overpriced and add up really quickly.... and the truth is - none are necessary.

Playing off the idea: NEVER give in to temptation. If you're on a budget, stick with it! It's so easy to get carried away, you have to learn to tell not only your kids no, but yourselves as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter