Best steak for the money: Bigfire vs The Palm vs Other?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
I can't find a Universal Restaurant forum so trying here.
Looking for a decent steak on property and thinking of Bigfire vs The Palm. I see Bigfire is much affordable (e.g. $47 for 16 oz ribeye vs $71 at the Palm) which makes it seem like a better choice, provided it's a decent cook and cut. While we are staying at the Hard Rock which would make the Palm convenient to dine in, we don't necessarily need any place fancy.
Or any other options?
Thanks for your input.

We have had both.

Bigfire was decent. Keep in mind they cook over a "camp fire" so the flavor is different then a BBQ steak. We've eaten their twice. First time service was ok, but server was a little weird. Second time the server a good, but he was so busy he didn't have time to talk at all. He was running his butt off to keep up.

The Palm was one of the best steaks we've ever had anywhere.

I had the 16 oz ribeye and my wife had the 8 oz filet. Both were outstanding and cooked exactly as we asked. Service and experience was great as well.

I see Bigfire is much affordable (e.g. $47 for 16 oz ribeye vs $71 at the Palm) which makes it seem like a better choice, provided it's a decent cook and cut.
The Palm features USDA Prime meats. You get what you pay for. You're looking for value. Bigfire is way better then decent

BigFire is the only restuarant I have ever left a negative google review. I just couldn't believe how awful the food and service was. The reviews seem all over the place and for the price I can't give it another chance.

BigFire is the only restuarant I have ever left a negative google review. I just couldn't believe how awful the food and service was. The reviews seem all over the place and for the price I can't give it another chance.

We were the same, it was truly awful...steaks were not good quality never mind they couldn`t cook it properly! Then there was my dish which was dreadful and completely inedible.

One and done for us, I don`t think anywhere on Citywalk has good quality steaks.

The Palm is not as good as it used to be since landry`s took it over, but onsite it`s the best option for steak.

Yeah - I think Bigfire is average at best - on par with a chain restaurant like outback IMO

Nothing wrong with outback - you know what to expect when you go there - but when you pay the price at BigFire its just not worth it IMO.

Universal really needs one high quality consistent restaurant - they just don't seem to have it

Yeah - I think Bigfire is average at best - on par with a chain restaurant like outback IMO

Nothing wrong with outback - you know what to expect when you go there - but when you pay the price at BigFire its just not worth it IMO.

Universal really needs one high quality consistent restaurant - they just don't seem to have it
Agreed. The only part of the Disney experience I enjoy more than Universal is the food. Not even close.

I enjoyed my steak at Bigfire. Mine was definitely better then Outback. Some people don't like the woody flavor.

The OP asked if it was decent. Didn't ask if it was as good as the Palm.

I would enjoy Bigfire for a nice meal, The Palm for a special occasion. Palm is a great choice if price is irrelevant.

I, personally, do not care for the woody, overly smoky flavor of a Bigfire steak. I would choose just about anywhere else for meat.

Yes, it wasn`t the flavour so much as it wasn`t cooked properly and the quality was poor.

We`ve tried several places for steak on Citywalk and all have left a poor impression. That seems to be their most common complaint overall, is the strong smoky flavour, it`s a hit or a miss.

Yes, it wasn`t the flavour so much as it wasn`t cooked properly and the quality was poor.

We`ve tried several places for steak on Citywalk and all have left a poor impression. That seems to be their most common complaint overall, is the strong smoky flavour, it`s a hit or a miss.
I had the Mothers Day Special on our last visit (second time there), and my steak was supposed to be medium rare and was well on its way to done. The smoke flavor seemed to be amplified as well. I would have said something, but we were at one of the upstairs tables, and our waiter rarely appeared. My son had scallops and they were chewy, and we debated if some were even fully cooked. Bread was good, though.

I think if you go to Universal Dining with moderate expectations...you'll be happy.
I used to get all excited looking at pictures of dishes I hadn't tried yet, thinking they'd all be incredible...and always left disappointed.
But if you set your expectations to mid-quality theme park food, you'll be happy enough.

The only restaurant on Universal property that I thought was excellent was Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls but I don't believe they have steak. It's Caribbean and South American tapas.

Bigfire was fine when I went. Not amazing but not awful. Service was super rushed though which was confusing because the restaurant was not busy at all.

The only restaurant on Universal property that I thought was excellent was Strong Water Tavern at Sapphire Falls but I don't believe they have steak. It's Caribbean and South American tapas.

Bigfire was fine when I went. Not amazing but not awful. Service was super rushed though which was confusing because the restaurant was not busy at all.
My observation the 2nd time there was they were understaffed. So it might not have seemed busy, but they didn't have enough staff on duty for the head count.

The issue wasn't the quality off the staff, but the fact they were all running around barely able to keep up.

I think if you go to Universal Dining with moderate expectations...you'll be happy.
I used to get all excited looking at pictures of dishes I hadn't tried yet, thinking they'd all be incredible...and always left disappointed.
But if you set your expectations to mid-quality theme park food, you'll be happy enough.
That's the mindset we have going into this trip.

If we do the Palm we will likely look to counter service for most other meals for cost reasons.
The Harry Potter places, Today Cafe, Breadbox and the Pizza place on Citywalk seem to get generally good reviews. Any other suggestions for decent counter service options that don't exclusively serve theme-park food (burgers, pizza, fries, nachos etc.)?

That's the mindset we have going into this trip.

If we do the Palm we will likely look to counter service for most other meals for cost reasons.
The Harry Potter places, Today Cafe, Breadbox and the Pizza place on Citywalk seem to get generally good reviews. Any other suggestions for decent counter service options that don't exclusively serve theme-park food (burgers, pizza, fries, nachos etc.)?

Thunder Falls Terrace and Croissant Moon Bakery in IOA are both decent. Some people like the Crepe stand in Studios opposite where the Horror Make up Show is situated and Minion Cafe seems to be getting good reviews too.

Louie`s for pizza in Studios is very nice too, huge pizza to share will feed a family easily.

Wimpy`s and Blondies both in IOA are alright, one does a very nice burger, the other does sandwiches.

My observation the 2nd time there was they were understaffed. So it might not have seemed busy, but they didn't have enough staff on duty for the head count.

The issue wasn't the quality off the staff, but the fact they were all running around barely able to keep up.

This is what I noticed everywhere we ate in November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter