Best Solo Options Between Airport and Resort?

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
I've been working on a mom-and-(adult)-kids trip to Universal Studios for about a year now, but circumstances have changed and if I want to experience the Wizarding World anytime soon, it will have to be a solo trip - so I impulsively just booked one for early April! I have a handle on everything except transportation from and back to MCO. Given that my flight arrives at about 5:30 pm, I don't want to rent a car, and I'd like to get to Cabana Bay as quickly as possible, what do you all think is the best option for me in terms of safety, price, and efficiency?

P.S. I have no idea how Uber or Lyft work but am willing to consider them - is one better than the other?

My only option would be a rental car, even if the magic prison bus still existed. There are other options I'm sure but others will have to tell you about those.

Why wouldn't you just take a taxi?

I certainly would, if that were the best option! I've lived a very rural/sheltered life (lol) and understand the concept of a taxi waiting outside the airport; will there be taxis outside the hotel as well, or will I have to call for one?

There will be taxis at the airport. And I would guess Cabana Bay would have some waiting, or at worst, they could call one for you that would get there in a couple minutes.

If you've never used Uber or Lyft, and you just need a ride to and from the airport, there's no need to deal with that whole rigamarole for just this one trip.

The cheapest option is Universal Superstar Shuttle. The cost is around $39 R/T.

Taxi would be the easiest. Uber and Lyft is generally less expensive but their fares aren't regulated. They have dynamic pricing. They can adjust the prices whenever they feel like it

Fastest from MCO to Cabana Bay would be taxi. If you have never used a taxi or rideshare, taxi is easier but typically more expensive. It’s can also feel a tad safer for a person not used to being in that situation.

I just learned in this thread about the Universal Superstar Shuttle. That is probably a decent idea, but shuttles usually stop at more that one place. You might ask on the Universal pages here if folks have used that. It would take longer, but would likely be cheap and feel safe.

Note, I learned to use Lyft in Orlando as a solo female traveler. It never makes sense at home. I’ve now used it a few times in other cities. I think there are a lot of less experienced ridesharers using Lyft and Uber in Orlando. My friends counseled me before my trip with guidance, but I also have to say my first Lyft driver was full of helpful hints and advice. He chided me, for example, on not doing a name verification even though I did check the car identification. Though at 5:30 pm, you might be in surge pricing making the difference in cost between rideshare and taxi less. A local might know and chime in.

Oh, and I forget, if there isn’t a taxi waiting at the hotel, the bell desk will call one for you. There are taxis around the Universal area all the time, so it wouldn’t be long to get one.

Last edited:
I also use Lyft, sometimes Uber, in Orlando when I don't have a car. While they have dynamic pricing, you can see the price when you go to the app. I haven't had any safety concerns as a 59 year old woman.

If there is a safety concern then maybe the shuttle is a better option.
I've never used rideshares so that seems a little weird for a solo traveler, but I do trust licensed taxis. As it is, I never made it to FL because my flight was delayed for 8 hours and then after we all boarded, Jet Blue cancelled the flight. :(

I've never used rideshares so that seems a little weird for a solo traveler, but I do trust licensed taxis. As it is, I never made it to FL because my flight was delayed for 8 hours and then after we all boarded, Jet Blue cancelled the flight. :(
Sorry to hear about your cancelled flight, really bad to have to wait for 8 hours and then get the flight cancelled. Have you re-scheduled the flight to another date or you just cancel the whole trip ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter