Best Guesses on the Fantasy Cruises

Memepoppy

Earning My Ears
Now that we see what traveling on the Dream will be like (no Bahamas, double dips at Cataway), what are your thoughts on the 8 day cruises when they restart?

We're booked on the 9/18 Eastern and we like that route with the 3 sea days. Just DW and I so it really wouldn't matter to us if we skipped Tortola and Saint Thomas, as long as we made at least one stop at Castaway. We love sea days so just "cruising around" would be fine and you'd find us on deck 4 reading and watching the ocean!

Since the Fantasy cruises are canceled thru 8/28, ours would be one of the first 8 days barring further cancelations.

Just curious what everyone feels Disney will do with the Eastern and Western itineraries upon restart.

Now that we see what traveling on the Dream will be like (no Bahamas, double dips at Cataway), what are your thoughts on the 8 day cruises when they restart?

We're booked on the 9/18 Eastern and we like that route with the 3 sea days. Just DW and I so it really wouldn't matter to us if we skipped Tortola and Saint Thomas, as long as we made at least one stop at Castaway. We love sea days so just "cruising around" would be fine and you'd find us on deck 4 reading and watching the ocean!

Since the Fantasy cruises are canceled thru 8/28, ours would be one of the first 8 days barring further cancelations.

Just curious what everyone feels Disney will do with the Eastern and Western itineraries upon restart.
I would expect Disney to stick with 3 and 4 night Dream cruises to Castaway Cay only for a few months at least.

I would expect Disney to stick with 3 and 4 night Dream cruises to Castaway Cay only for a few months at least.

Well that would certainly be horrible for those of us sailing on the Fantasy in September. I don't see why they wouldn't sail - other cruise lines have been doing 7-night Eastern/Westerns since June. The protocols may be slightly different (maybe mid-week testing) but why would they not sail? Fantasy "test" sail is scheduled for the 28th. Even though it's no longer required for CDC approval, I think if we see it setting sail, we will know that September is likely a go. The Dream only has double dips scheduled through the first week of September (when the Fantasy starts to sail), so a double dip on the Fantasy is not currently out of the question (which could make up for a missed port or two).

Well that would certainly be horrible for those of us sailing on the Fantasy in September. I don't see why they wouldn't sail - other cruise lines have been doing 7-night Eastern/Westerns since June. The protocols may be slightly different (maybe mid-week testing) but why would they not sail? Fantasy "test" sail is scheduled for the 28th. Even though it's no longer required for CDC approval, I think if we see it setting sail, we will know that September is likely a go. The Dream only has double dips scheduled through the first week of September (when the Fantasy starts to sail), so a double dip on the Fantasy is not currently out of the question (which could make up for a missed port or two).
Just giving my opinion. Short cruises to Castaway Cay only are the safest and easiest option by far, so I imagine that's what Disney will want to stick to for a while, so they don't end up with any bad PR situations until cruising has become more normalized. They also wouldn't have to worry about any other ports' regulations. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion. It might partly depend on how smoothly the first Dream cruises actually go, in terms of Covid transmission. If they're having problems (even if not publicized), they might delay the Fantasy even if they had intended to move forward otherwise.

Last edited:

I expect it to be similar to the dream, more movies and Broadway style shows. I am not sure what to expect at ports. Are any other non 95% vaccinated ships docking in ports yet?

I’ve been on the eastern Caribbean many times. If they can’t go to Tortola or st. Thomas, they would consider PR or st. Martin’s , which are often ports they frequent on the eastern. Cayman will not be allowing ships until 2022, so could replace it with Costa Maya (which is near Cozumel and also another stop dcl sometimes goes to). I would think PR and st. Thomas would be their choice since they are US territory.

I'm just really really hoping they replace ports like Cayman with other ports that are open. Totally not worth it to me if the ports are replaced with sea days. More days to sit around in a mask? Nope. No thanks!
I have to agree with this. After I found out Cayman port would not be open until next year I canceled
Fantasy. I do keep watching to see if there is a change on itinerary. So far the same and no I don't
want an added sea day.

I expect the Fantasy to sail from September on...and I imagine the protocols will be near identical to the Dream in August. But, I do think that the protocols will likely change on a month to month, possibly cruise to cruise, basis as vaccination numbers increase, variants increase/decrease, successful cruises occur, etc..

The USVI are still a little complex. Passengers over the age of 5 must present negative COVID-19 test results (antigen or PCR tests are acceptable) taken no more than five days prior to arrival or transit by air or sea. Negative test results have to be uploaded prior to departing the U.S. Mainland for St. Thomas.

BVI require a Rapid antigen test upon arrival for anyone who has been vaccinated. The unvaccinated are subject to quarantine so would not be allowed off ship. These were updated as protocols as of last week.

I'm just really really hoping they replace ports like Cayman with other ports that are open. Totally not worth it to me if the ports are replaced with sea days. More days to sit around in a mask? Nope. No thanks!
Sadly - that is exactly what I was thinking. I usually love sea days, but not with these (necessary) precautions. I think the port situation will be a major factor for sail/no sail for us.

Just catching up......so Cayman port is closed until next year. Why are port excursions available to book?
My grand kids both have dolphins there and I need to explore other options if they can't do it there.

And my poor DD.....this will be the 4th sailing with us with Grand Cayman as a port and she has made it ashore 0 Times!! Usually weather.
She said "just wait, we won't get to go there, I'm jinxed"?

About covid testing.....I'm out of the loop on that too. The kids have to be test when boardind? do they need tests before that?
And the adults.....all vaccinated with cards, do we not have to do testing?

The other thing. I am reading something about photos? What is that?
I have cruised on various lines 30 times and know nothing about photos, other than the ones they take when you board the ship

Sorry......I am so out of the loop!!

Just catching up......so Cayman port is closed until next year. Why are port excursions available to book?
My grand kids both have dolphins there and I need to explore other options if they can't do it there.

And my poor DD.....this will be the 4th sailing with us with Grand Cayman as a port and she has made it ashore 0 Times!! Usually weather.
She said "just wait, we won't get to go there, I'm jinxed"?

About covid testing.....I'm out of the loop on that too. The kids have to be test when boardind? do they need tests before that?
And the adults.....all vaccinated with cards, do we not have to do testing?

The other thing. I am reading something about photos? What is that?
I have cruised on various lines 30 times and know nothing about photos, other than the ones they take when you board the ship

Sorry......I am so out of the loop!!
When you find time read “know before you go”. Yes, all kids, under 12 have to be tested twice along with 12 and up who are unvaccinated . First time is prior to the cruise, you have to get the test at home and upload it into a website called “safe passage” 5 days to 24 hours before you arrive. You also upload your vaccine card scan to safe passage to be cleared to cruise, plus bring your card with you. This is your expense. Everyone, even kids, have to have a safe passage account. Once you arrive for your cruise every unvaccinated passenger must be tested again, but if a child is under 12 dcl will not charge them. If the passenger is 12 and above there is a $65 fee put on everyone‘s account. There is also mantory insurance required for anyone 12 and over who is not vaccinated . I’m thinking the pictures might be the ones we take at home of every passenger and will have to upload online 30 days before the cruise. Plus you need to upload your passport scan too. Or whatever you use to prove citizenship. Keep in mind this is just starting and we don’t know how it might change later.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have been reading the info.

Didn't see anything about photos. Never did that before.

We have 2 under 12.....and 6 adults going......3 adults never cruised Disney before and 1 has never cruised at all......so quite a bit of info to pass on to 3 other households.

Hopefully my TA will keep informed too

Thank you. I have been reading the info.

Didn't see anything about photos. Never did that before.

We have 2 under 12.....and 6 adults going......3 adults never cruised Disney before and 1 has never cruised at all......so quite a bit of info to pass on to 3 other households.

Hopefully my TA will keep informed too

it’s very overwhelming. The photos part is part of the new no contact. The cm use to take your picture at checkin. Now there’s no checkin, so we have to do it ourselves. we did ours yesterday…lol….since it’s a head shot, it would be similar to a passport photo. I do my checkin in 4 days so want to be ready. Same for scanning our passports so we can attach those to our online checkin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!